PDA

View Full Version : My setup.....is it ok?

TURBOFROG
07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey guys, I have a 55g setup that i have a Aqueon Power filter. Is this ok to use? Tank is at 84 and has some driftwood, gravel and a few fake plants. As for fish all I have in this tank now is 10 Cardnial's and 4 Albino Cory's. I was thinking of getting 4-5 Discus to put in here. Let me know what you think.

Eddie
07-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Hey there and WELCOME to Simply. Love your handle!

Hang On the Back (HOB) filters are great. I haven't heard too many good things about Aqueons but I am sure it will do. Maybe add another filter to the tank. 2 filters are always better than one, for cleaning purposes and added nitrification.

Is this your first discus tank? Where do you plan on getting the discus?

HTH
Eddie

rickztahone
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
i have an aqueon HOB that came with my 55. it did its job well. it contains 2 cartridges. just make sure you take the carbon out of the cartridges and put filter floss in there instead. also, id start with 5-6 rather than 4-5

TURBOFROG
07-09-2009, 08:06 PM
This is my first Discus tank....I do have a 150g tank as well ,but I just wanted to try them out in a small tank first. Im going to get the fish from a LFS.

Eddie
07-09-2009, 08:12 PM
This is my first Discus tank....I do have a 150g tank as well ,but I just wanted to try them out in a small tank first. Im going to get the fish from a LFS.

Here is my take on the LFS option. Look at the amount of money you will spend on them, then look in the sponsor section and check out the prices. You will find almost 100% of the time, the prices beat the LFS price and the fish you will be receiving are a million times better quality. Besides, LFS fish may have extra baggage (possible infectious diseases). I'd really look into getting the fish from a good source to ensure a positive first experience in keeping discus.

HTH,

Eddie

mkv
07-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Welcome and good luck with them. This is my second try with Discus and they are a great type to have. There is nothing wrong with going with a LFS but you do have to be careful that you are getting your money's worth. More importantly is that you get healthy, well cared for fish to start with so you experience will be positive and not the beginning of a nightmare with sickness, losses and disappointment. They are many great breeders in this forum that will get you on a good start and when you compare the final tab from LFS pricing to mail order + shipping you will not be disappointed with the result at the end of all you effort, investment and dedication to care for them. Just my humble opinion.

TURBOFROG
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I just dont want to buy fish and have them die on me.

Eddie
07-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I just dont want to buy fish and have them die on me.

Do you plan on getting adult discus?

Eddie

Scribbles
07-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Welcome to Simply Discus! If you are looking for hardy discus I would highly recomend buying from one of the SD sponsors. I have had both LFS and mail order discus from a sponsor and the sponsor fish are much better quality and healthier IMO.

BTW how are you liking Lou Pinella?

Chris

TURBOFROG
07-10-2009, 12:13 AM
I have been looking at some of the sponsors and I think I just might go that route now. Id like to get small ones like 1.5-2".

I like Lou! Always have...great baseball guy!

Yassmeena
07-10-2009, 12:31 AM
I have been looking at some of the sponsors and I think I just might go that route now. Id like to get small ones like 1.5-2".

Hi there... welcome to Simply.

I'm not sure where you're at in terms of researching discus keeping. It sounds like you have decided to go the sponser route - great choice! Also, perhaps a sponser lives close enough for you to take a drive??? Hand picking is fun!

If you are going to buy small discus, you need to know that they require more care. In order to prevent stunting (heard of the term re: discus?) they need frequent feedings --> equals daily WCs. Also gravel will trap debris and waste and create an unhealthy environment. Almost all experienced discus keepers go for a bare bottom tank to grow out juveinille discus. Once they are bigger, you can have a lot of fun transferring them into a bigger showtank. It sounds strange, and is probably not the most instantly appealing idea, but you'll be glad you did it!! ;)

Also, do you have SeaChem Prime? It's a water detoxifier that is a basic must after every WC for discus. That brand in particular removes ammonia while most others do not.

HTH

Yasmin

Peachtree Discus
07-10-2009, 12:37 AM
don't waste your time with a LFS ...unless you really check up on them. There are lots of Simply members in your area that can give you good advice about from where to buy.

welcome to Simply :). I see you're from Chi. I was up there before i moved to Atlanta. I miss the summers up there.

Scribbles
07-10-2009, 12:59 AM

I was heartsick when he left Seattle. I miss his fire.

Chris

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-10-2009, 02:05 AM
Great to see some newbie Discus feelers come on board. What you have is fine for sub-adult to adult discus as they don't require as much attention as the smaller 1.5-2" ones. Additional filtration will help you more though. An extra tank should always be at hand as a hospital/quarantine tank, as treatment, observation(set period e.g. 4-8wks isolation) can be made more succeful when necessary, although doesn't have to be big at all. It all depends on the individual also, some people just prefer to plop & drop them straight into the display. :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

jaykne
07-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Trust me don't waste your time with an LFS they are way over priced and most likly to get fish that are not healthy. Also I would not go with under 3" so easy to stunt at that size, I have bought allot of fish from Kenny's Discus, he will always send you the best and will help you with anything. Kenny Imports every month and post the fish on here so you see what you are getting and even with the shipping I bet you pay less than at an LFS plus you know they are clean and healthy and the best quality. Do yourself a favor and go to the sponsors section and click on Kenny's Discus (Kenny Cheung) - Daly City, California you can see what people say about his fish and also see his other shipments and prices, should have a new shipment in very soon. I also agree with eddie I would put 2 filters on there, I would also kick the temp up to 88 until they are eating good then you could take it down. Make sure you have no carbon in the filter you don't want to use carbon with discus. Good luck hope you get some good fish. Larry

TURBOFROG
07-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys for all the great advice! Ill post some pics up when i finally do get some fish.

mmorris
07-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Six discus. No gravel. No wood. No fake plants. No LFS! Do yourself - and your fish - a favor. :)

TURBOFROG
07-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Got my Discus home tonight!!!! Bought 6! 3 leapord and 3 snake skin! They are all about 2" look forward to watching them grow!

Eddie
07-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Got my Discus home tonight!!!! Bought 6! 3 leapord and 3 snake skin! They are all about 2" look forward to watching them grow!

Sounds great! Wishing you the best with them. Get some shots of them when you find time. Everybody loves pictures.....well, I do anyways! :D

Eddie

Scribbles
07-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Congratulations! You are going to love watching your little ones grow out. When they are settled and you get a chance post some pictures.

Chris

TURBOFROG
07-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Pics of the new guys!