PDA

View Full Version : Which strains are hardier?

JimH
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi All,
Just got done looking at the sticky with the different strains and I must say, all of them look great! Hard to choose which ones I want given the limited number of tanks that I have. I do have a pair of blue turqs that are great and are on their 3rd set of eggs. Am raising their previous offspring in other tanks and the oldest are almost the size of a quarter now. I have room for another pair, and was wondering which of the strains are more hardy or are all just about the same? I was told that my turqs are about the most hardy, but don't know which of the others are. Any suggestions?

Eddie
07-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Not sure Jim, I mean they are all hardy if you give'em what they need. ;)

Blue Diamonds or Pigeons always seemed to be extra hardy IMO.

All the best,

Eddie

stanlee
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM
pigeons for sure.
:D

JimH
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey, thanks for the replies. I thought someone said that pigeons were very hardy, wasn't sure. Blue diamonds are another nice choice.

Jhhnn
07-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Even though I've only had 'em 3 months, I'd have to say that the blue scorpions from Kenny are extremely robust. They eat like pigs, grow like weeds, squabble all the time. When they hit my tank they schooled up, explored for ~5 minutes, came to the front begging for food...

They're actually a cross between snakeskins and blue diamonds, both well established strains. Breeders have to outcross their inbred lines periodically to keep them genetically strong, and these scorpions are a great example of how well that works...