PDA

View Full Version : eheim ecco for discus filtration

Jhec
07-11-2009, 06:52 AM
currently i have 50gal tank with 4layer trickle fiilter as its main filter,,,and i'm planning to add an eheim ecco 2233...i just want to ask if the eheim ecco 2233 is good filtration for my tank..?thanks to all...

jhec

Eddie
07-11-2009, 06:57 AM
The 2233 is rated for a 60 gallon tank so you should be good to go. ;)

Eddie

Jhec
07-11-2009, 07:06 AM
thanks eddie...

jhec

Dutch dude
07-26-2009, 05:46 AM
I recommend an Eheim Pro series or just the classic. The Ecco series is the worst filter Eheim ever produced. It does it's job well, quiet and is easy in maintanance (shut the valves, disconnect the hoses and move the entire filter to the sink were it can be cleaned). Only problem is the weak plastics around the head. The handle can easely snap when you forgot to open the valves or when you did not applied enough Vaseline on the surounding. Over time the whole head lift mechanism breaks piece by piece. I have 2 Ecco's and both are around 10 years now and both mechanisms are wasted. You ca order new parts from Eheim but you will need so many that you will be half way a new one. If the mechanism snaps and you didn't notised it the head will be in an angle and starts to leak.

My advice is not to use an Ecco filter and use the Pro or cheap classic.

nickmcmechan
07-26-2009, 05:58 AM
i have an ecco and would agree with dutch dude, i also have a couple of classics and a professional

the porfessionals are real easy to use and do their job well, but you can't beat the workhorse that the good old classics are....value for money you can't beat an eheim classic

Jhec
07-27-2009, 09:24 PM
thanks dutch dude and nickmcmechan. by your comments, i'll go for eheim classic.

thanks

jhec

Dutch dude
07-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Sounds like a whise decision. The Pro series is very good as well and easy to maintain but they are more expensive. If you go for the classic you might want to buy some valves for easy disconnecting.

cfi on the fly
07-28-2009, 07:29 AM
If you do go the ecco route, I suggest something bigger. I had the ecco 2236 on a 46g, and it was barely adequate. Was cleaning it all the time and flow really reduces after a while. Of course this was a planted tank too,! I have the 2217 classic alongside the 2236 now in a 75g and everything seems ok.

Jhec
09-05-2009, 02:16 AM
for the eheim ecco pro? any reviews? just read that the classics are hard to clean.

thanks,
jhec

tcyiu
09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
for the eheim ecco pro? any reviews? just read that the classics are hard to clean.

thanks,
jhec

I have a 2213 classic .. bought it almost 30 years ago before it became a "Classic" LOL

Once you get a routine down, these are really not that hard to clean. Lemme know if you want a blow-by-blow step-through. I can change mine without dripping water and I do not have quick disconnect valves. But you can probably figure out your own routine too.

By the way, for a close-to-30-year old appliance, this dang thing just keeps going! NO NOISE whatsoever. All seals continue work fine. Even the Eheim tubing is great. Just last night, I had to trim one end so that it would form a tighter seal. First time in lord knows how long. And I constantly pull the hoses off whenever I clean the filter. So these do definitely see a lot of action.

Can't say enough good things about this one unit .... BUT ....

The owner of a very reputable LFS tells me that she buys up older classics whenever they become available thru consignment. She shies away from new ones these days. She says that the quality is no longer the same.

I recently bought an Eheim 1260 hobby pump. It may have been that I was unlucky, but this unit was extremely loud. May have been bad luck, or Brenda may have been right about quality control ...

Tim