PDA

View Full Version : aggression during quarantine

csarkar001
07-14-2009, 09:46 AM
bought four juveniles about 2 weeks ago. they have been in quarantine since. first week they were chill. but over the past week have been fighting incessantly. just tough it out for 4 more weeks? :confused:

Eddie
07-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, yup

Discus in quarantine are the same as in the main tank, with 4 not being a good number. If you had 6 up in there, it may disperse the aggression better. You are gonna have to hold out 4 more weeks. Hey....but when the 4 weeks is up, you can add a hero fish to the QT tank and that makes 5. ;)

Eddie

mmorris
07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
You could put a divider in to separate out the aggressor. You will probably create a new aggressor on the other side, and you could then separate him out to the first aggressor...Have fun! :D

csarkar001
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
You could put a divider in to separate out the aggressor. You will probably create a new aggressor on the other side, and you could then separate him out to the first aggressor...Have fun! :D

they are all aggressors! :D

eddie: how long should i run the "hero" test?

chandan

Eddie
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
they are all aggressors! :D

eddie: how long should i run the "hero" test?

chandan

2 weeks IMO

Eddie

csarkar001
07-14-2009, 06:56 PM
i've had a slow growing LSS in with the 4 new comers in the quarantine tank since day one (ran out of tank space). he has been fine through the last two and a half weeks that the quarantine has been proceding. lets assume for the next four weeks, he is ok.

does this mean he is the "hero?" if so, can i skip bringing one of the discus from the main tank into the QT? only reason i ask is that catching one of them from my 200 gal tank is not easy. i usually have to drain 75% of the water.

chandan

mmorris
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Has the LSS been exposed to the main tank for any length of time? If it used to live in the main tank and nothing was added to that tank since you moved him out, then yes, I would think of him as the `sacrificial lamb'. ;)

Eddie
07-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Has the LSS been exposed to the main tank for any length of time? If it used to live in the main tank and nothing was added to that tank since you moved him out, then yes, I would think of him as the `sacrificial lamb'. ;)

Ditto

csarkar001
07-14-2009, 07:04 PM
no, he's never been in there. ok, i think i have my answer.

Jhhnn
07-14-2009, 10:08 PM
so long as it isn't one fish getting pounded, it's not a big problem. they're acting like... discus, typical cichlids, when they're all aggressors. When and if you can identify a loser, then you'll need to do something.

csarkar001
07-14-2009, 10:36 PM
so long as it isn't one fish getting pounded, it's not a big problem. they're acting like... discus, typical cichlids, when they're all aggressors. When and if you can identify a loser, then you'll need to do something.

actually, one guy is taking the lion's share of the beatings. that was the main cause for my concern. i'm not sure i want him punished for another 4 weeks. interestingly, he is also the most food aggressive and is the only one of the four that does not fear my hand or the python tube.

chandan