PDA

View Full Version : Week 8

wgtaylor
07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Eight weeks have passed today since I received these Albino Golden/Spotted juveniles. They all are doing great.
As anticipated they grew fast until they reached a little over four inch and their growth has slowed these last few weeks.
I haven't raised Albino's before and have heard their growth is slower than normal colored discus however I find
this batch of Albino's to be very normal in their growth. We may just have an exceptional group.
Their health and appetites have all remained excellent so everything is going well. The color pattern have remained pretty
consistent on the Albino Golden type but the ones with the color pattern developing in the vertical bars seem to slowly be
developing more color and slowly filling more area growing toward the tail of those discus. Interesting to watch this color
develop.

I have maintained the soft water with no minerals added for their growout and they seem to be growing as well as I would expect.
I have continued to feed them the same diet, beefheart/shrimp morning and night, pellets mid-day and flake in between.
Their water temperature stays at eighty four point five degrees F except warm sunny days it goes up to eight five degrees F.

I didn't get pictures this week but added a short video looking down the length of the tank from the end.
I know this is somewhat of a short and lazy post but have to get back and do some tank cleaning and maintenance.

Bill

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/th_Week8TankEnd.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/?action=view&current=Week8TankEnd.flv)

acroken
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Wow Bill, they are looking great! Love the shape. Whatever you are doing, it is working perfectly! Great job with these guys.I agree they are an exceptional group you have there:D I think you should feed them more often, they look hungry,LoL. Nicely Done!

Kenny

wgtaylor
07-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Ha ha, you are probably right, they do look hungry. :D
Hey, have you noticed their shape getting more high body the last few weeks ? Mine appear to be slowing in length and gaining height.
Thanks Kenny.

Bill

acroken
07-14-2009, 02:56 PM
who are you kidding"slowing in length" have you looked at them lately. Kidding.Differently thickening up and getting taller. I love it, they are looking tough! Great work. Now feed them poor starving fish. Looks like they have not eaten in a hour or more.

Kenny

Eddie
07-14-2009, 07:02 PM
They look amazing Bill, hungry and growing out SUPER nice! Great work!

Eddie

Scribbles
07-14-2009, 09:03 PM
They are looking great! These guys are incredible. Nice job with them.

Chris

wgtaylor
07-14-2009, 11:57 PM
They are looking great! These guys are incredible. Nice job with them.

Chris

Thanks Chris, :) it is just daily fun and enjoyment with these guys. Never had Albino's before so learning along the way.

Bill

They look amazing Bill, hungry and growing out SUPER nice! Great work!

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, they are doing great but nothing like your new blue knights, awesome critters you have. :)
Take care,

Bill

who are you kidding"slowing in length" have you looked at them lately. Kidding.Differently thickening up and getting taller. I love it, they are looking tough! Great work. Now feed them poor starving fish. Looks like they have not eaten in a hour or more.

Kenny

Hey Kenny, I meant have you noticed your discus growing in height now. :D Each time I see your pictures of your tank and discus it motivates me to try harder. I have a very plain bare tank not like yours at all. :o
Thank you again for the compliments each week. I'll be looking forward to your update.

Bill

acroken
07-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Bill,
I was trying not to take away from your post:D mine are differently getting taller more so then longer,same as yours. I truly think your fish are amazing. Love what you are doing with them. This challenge is making us all better discus keepers. This post is all about your challenge fish and the excellent work your are doing with them. Keep it up and don't change a thing!

Kenny

Chad Hughes
07-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Bill,

Looking great! Did you get a measurement this month? Just curious as to where we all are in growth. Keep up the great work!

Best wishes!

calihawker
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Looking great there Bill!! Awesome video!

GrillMaster
07-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Bill yer doin all the right things bud!! Video was excellent! :)

wgtaylor
07-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Bill,

Looking great! Did you get a measurement this month? Just curious as to where we all are in growth. Keep up the great work!

Best wishes!

Hi Chad,

You know, I had decided from the beginning not to pull the discus out to measure each week or month the same as most contestants last year.
Here is the best I can do right now. Caught the biggest hanging close to the sponge filter which is four and three quarter inch diameter and
five inch from the base to top of sponge. This guy is a good four and half inch and the smallest is probably a little over four inch.

Bill

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/th_Week8Size.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/?action=view&current=Week8Size.flv)

wgtaylor
07-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Bill,
I was trying not to take away from your post:D mine are differently getting taller more so then longer,same as yours. I truly think your fish are amazing. Love what you are doing with them. This challenge is making us all better discus keepers. This post is all about your challenge fish and the excellent work your are doing with them. Keep it up and don't change a thing!

Kenny

Hey Kenny,
Don't ever feel like you would be taking away from my postings, it's just friends talking about contest discus, or anything else we want to talk about. :D
Take care,
Bill

wgtaylor
07-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Bill yer doin all the right things bud!! Video was excellent! :)

Hi Mark, thanks for the compliment.
I'd like to find out more about how you finally set up your water supply to
your new fishroom, had the best help with that.

Bill

Looking great there Bill!! Awesome video!

Ah, my old cheap video camera saved me again, thanks Steve.

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Bill, WoW lov'em. What you mean small in size, I think these guyz/galz are growing daily :D Fantastic vids, really shows the energy of them. Keep up the great job. :bandana:

Regards
Ahmed

wgtaylor
07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Bill, WoW lov'em. What you mean small in size, I think these guyz/galz are groing daily :D Fantastic vids, really shows the energy of them. Keep up the great job. :bandana:

Regards
Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,
Another good week. ;)
Yes, these discus are constantly on the move, I was just lucky to video them in one of their rare slow moods to take the second video and try to show the size.
I took the video a little over 10 feet away to minimize as much camera distortion for the best size relationship to the sponge as possible.

I appreciate you taking the time for the compliments. :)
Take care,

Bill

Chad Hughes
07-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi Chad,

You know, I had decided from the beginning not to pull the discus out to measure each week or month the same as most contestants last year.
Here is the best I can do right now. Caught the biggest hanging close to the sponge filter which is four and three quarter inch diameter and
five inch from the base to top of sponge. This guy is a good four and half inch and the smallest is probably a little over four inch.

Bill

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/th_Week8Size.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/?action=view&current=Week8Size.flv)

Bill,

No worries. I was just curious. I decided to pull every month just for documentation for my own curiosity. They are looking fantastic!

Best wishes!

wgtaylor
07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Bill,

No worries. I was just curious. I decided to pull every month just for documentation for my own curiosity. They are looking fantastic!

Best wishes!

Looks like everyone's discus are growing very similar but we can break out the yardsticks at week fifty. ha ha :D
Everyone in this years contest are so experienced there is very little difference in growth. You are doing a great job Chad and it definitely been interesting seeing your methods to conserve water.
You make raising discus work for your area. A pleasure watching your progress each week. :)

Take care,
Bill

MRQuad
07-18-2009, 03:41 AM
great job on them! keep up the good work..