PDA

View Full Version : Discus Hatchery Las Vegas

traversediscus
07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Anybody purchased from them?

what do you think?

April
07-15-2009, 12:34 PM
i have no idea..but at one time someone did a post on a guy they found in las vegas. if its the same guy..it was quite impressive . we saw pics. got any info on him or a website etc? or email? or pics? at that time..i believe the fellow didnt ship.

William Palumbo
07-15-2009, 12:47 PM
If he's not a sponsor, then it's buyer beware, and I believe he's not a sponsor. I have seen him on AB...but he only shows pics of his pairs and not the actual fish you are buying. Look at his seller feedback...especially his negative ones. Buy from a Simply sponsor...Bill

Chad Hughes
07-15-2009, 12:51 PM
There is a guy that sells out of Las Vegas on Ebay. I was very close to arranging a meeting with him in Vegas but it fell through. The fact that he was willing to allow me to come to his hatchery says a lot IMO. Do you know the name of the breeder?

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Im wanting to say his name is Alex....if it is the same person im thinking about.

-Ryan

golden_lv
07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
no way Alex is in Chicago and his site is www.alexsdiscus.com

Alex

cyberhog05
07-23-2009, 06:03 AM
"Discus Hatchery" The ebay seller and the aquabid seller are the same guy. I have talked with him and he seems like a very stand up guy.

lordbones
07-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Well, his prices are good & free shipping...almost worth an order to see what he's got..

fastcarsnbigfishies
09-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I just recieved 6 discus(actually 7, 3-red dragons and 4-spotted leopards, he threw in an extra spotted leopard!)From Discushatchery on aquabid. Great price, small fish (as advertised), overnight shipping included in price, packed well (each fish individually packed). They are already starting to color up really nicely (but not in an unnatural kind of way) It will be interesting to see how these discus turn out, they seem beautiful from what i can tell thus far, possibly a little peppering on the red dragons hard to tell right now. For the price I am very happy with my order, and his communication was top notch. He replied to my emails in a very timely manner.

mkv
09-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Good luck with them, that's a good deal for the amount paid. Please share pics of the fish whenever you can.

fastcarsnbigfishies
09-23-2009, 03:44 PM
not the best pictures, and please excuse some of the mess, i took them right after a feeding and before a water change. It was the only time these rascals will hold still!

Jstuver
09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
The guy seems really nice to work with I was supposed to stop by his hatchery while I was in Vegas at the beginning of the year but didn't have a chance as I ran out of time. I would love to see how those turn out in the future.

traversediscus
09-23-2009, 06:31 PM
My first Discus came from Discus hatchery and they are not very good quality Discus

fastcarsnbigfishies
09-23-2009, 08:08 PM
My first Discus came from Discus hatchery and they are not very good quality Discus
what do you mean by not very good quality discus? diseased? crappy strains? stunted? do you have pictures?
I am VERY happy so far with mine, you cannot expect show quality discus for the price. I believe you get what you pay for, and in this case I think I got much better then what I paid for.

traversediscus
09-23-2009, 09:46 PM
what do you mean by not very good quality discus? diseased? crappy strains? stunted? do you have pictures?
I am VERY happy so far with mine, you cannot expect show quality discus for the price. I believe you get what you pay for, and in this case I think I got much better then what I paid for.

Well you do get what you pay for and that will reflect as they get older. They were stunted poor shape and some never showed their color. I purchsed his Discus because of price as at the time i had little money. I have learned that i was better off saving my money and going through a sponsor on here. I have purchased Discus from Discus hatchery and Bill at Inland Empire Discus and the Bill is miles ahead of Customer service, Shipping quality and Discus quality.

Just my opinion But even my wife said you bought a pile of crap (from Discus Hatchery) and she has no idea.

paletka
09-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Hi,
the one on the picture are stunted (check the eye size and compare to body size)

chris

fastcarsnbigfishies
09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Well you do get what you pay for and that will reflect as they get older. They were stunted poor shape and some never showed their color. I purchsed his Discus because of price as at the time i had little money. I have learned that i was better off saving my money and going through a sponsor on here. I have purchased Discus from Discus hatchery and Bill at Inland Empire Discus and the Bill is miles ahead of Customer service, Shipping quality and Discus quality.

Just my opinion But even my wife said you bought a pile of crap (from Discus Hatchery) and she has no idea.
:laugh::rolleyes2: I couldn't have said it better myself.

fastcarsnbigfishies
09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi,
the one on the picture are stunted (check the eye size and compare to body size)

chris
possibly the leopards are slightly, but they are all growing very quickly and i am not concerned that the level of stunting will effect them in any greatly measurable way.

Aquaben19
09-25-2009, 11:20 AM
First off, This is my first post. My name is Ben and I live in Burton Michigan. I have always wanted to keep Discus since I was 8 years old. Now that I am 30, have bought my first house, and am married to a great woman, I decided to buy my dream fish.

I have done tons, and I mean tons of research from when I was 8 until now.

I saw this auction on Aquabid(and I am sure there are some respectable breeders on there), for 6 Red Spotted Leopards. I thought the father(pictured on the auction page) looked gorgeous so his fry must be awesome right? No.

Unfortunatly for me I discover SimplyDiscus.com AFTER I discover Aquabid.

The fish are stunted and 3 out of the 7(He sent an extra 1, probably to make you feel better about the lemons) had horrible finnage. If you look on his feedback I sadly left positive feedback.. why? Because I didnt know any better.

Live and learn right?

I would like to thank Al and the other moderators for a great forum that I will now use as my Bible.

Wanna know the sad part of all this? I live an hour away from Cary Strong...
/cry.

Ben
Aspiring Hobbyist Breeder.

William Palumbo
09-25-2009, 12:54 PM
No matter where you get your Discus, anytime the breeder will not show you a pic of the fry...the ACTUAL fish for sale, be suspect of him/her. I like seeing the pair at times, but the actual fry I would rather see. I have seen great looking pairs throw crappy looking fish...and vice versa. I do believe you get what you pay for, but I also believe Discus that size should not cost much to start with. What seems like a "great" deal, many months later, feeding, water changing, electric consumption and labor, turns out to not be a deal, but a big waste of time and resorces, and possibly leaving a wonderful hobby. Buy from the Simply sponsors...or a known breeder who can and will send you pics of the fish for sale...Bill

terps
09-28-2009, 05:35 AM
No matter where you get your Discus, anytime the breeder will not show you a pic of the fry...the ACTUAL fish for sale, be suspect of him/her. I like seeing the pair at times, but the actual fry I would rather see. I have seen great looking pairs throw crappy looking fish...and vice versa. I do believe you get what you pay for, but I also believe Discus that size should not cost much to start with. What seems like a "great" deal, many months later, feeding, water changing, electric consumption and labor, turns out to not be a deal, but a big waste of time and resorces, and possibly leaving a wonderful hobby. Buy from the Simply sponsors...or a known breeder who can and will send you pics of the fish for sale...Bill

Great advice. It's always best to see the fish you are buying in person.

fastcarsnbigfishies
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Just a little update, all 7 are still alive, which is always a good start. 2 of the 7 are slow growers so I have been trying to pull the faster growers out of the growout tank so the smaller guys don't have to compete for food. The tank that the bigger guys are now in is pretty dark so the red spotted leopards have their stress bars showing and are a little dark due to their surrounding but look as though they will have great color in a lighter tank. I am quite pleased with the color developing on the red dragons. Over all I am happy for the price that I paid, all of them lived and none of them are horribly ugly (imo). So for what it is worth, here is a picture.

akumastew
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Just a little update, all 7 are still alive, which is always a good start. 2 of the 7 are slow growers so I have been trying to pull the faster growers out of the growout tank so the smaller guys don't have to compete for food. The tank that the bigger guys are now in is pretty dark so the red spotted leopards have their stress bars showing and are a little dark due to their surrounding but look as though they will have great color in a lighter tank. I am quite pleased with the color developing on the red dragons. Over all I am happy for the price that I paid, all of them lived and none of them are horribly ugly (imo). So for what it is worth, here is a picture.

I am glad you are ahppy with your purchase, and have no casualties. :)

MSD
01-07-2010, 05:52 PM
For learning with discus as a newbie this is fine, If you keep up with it you can spend more for the higher quality strains. Not everyone are discus perfectionist like most of us nuts on here. Some can spend $15 and be perfectly happy with what they get, its all good as they say. :)