PDA

View Full Version : Week #8, Water change #7, 4.5" Discus

Chad Hughes
07-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Well, it's been two months and I don't have anything but praise for the contest discus! Their growth is right on track. Naturally once the 4" mark is reached, growth retards to about 1/2" monthly for the remaining grow out period. I can't say that I have ever had a fish that exceeded that rate.

Attached is the latest measurement picture. I used the caliper method as demonstrated by Steve. I think I need longer fingers on the caliper though. Laying the instrument on the discus was painful for me. The poor guy would not stop flopping. Anyway, the measurement came in at 4.549".

I'll post up again in a weeks time. Enjoy!

Best wishes!

Eddie
07-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, it's been two months and I don't have anything but praise for the contest discus! Their growth is right on track. Naturally once the 4" mark is reached, growth retards to about 1/2" monthly for the remaining grow out period. I can't say that I have ever had a fish that exceeded that rate.

Attached is the latest measurement picture. I used the caliper method as demonstrated by Steve. I think I need longer fingers on the caliper though. Laying the instrument on the discus was painful for me. The poor guy would not stop flopping. Anyway, the measurement came in at 4.549".

I'll post up again in a weeks time. Enjoy!

Best wishes!

Looking good Chad, great growth!

All the best,

Eddie

wgtaylor
07-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey Chad, that guy looks great. It looks to still be putting on the weight at full speed. Great job.

Bill

Mr Wild
07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Just beautiful! Of course!!!!!!!!!

acroken
07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Nice going Chad! Great growth. I like the calipers too. I think we are all going to need 8" calipers at the end of this one. Thanks for the update.

Kenny

Chad Hughes
07-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Looking good Chad, great growth!

All the best,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie!

Hey Chad, that guy looks great. It looks to still be putting on the weight at full speed. Great job.

Bill

Thanks Bill! Full speed ahead!

Just beautiful! Of course!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much Kath!

Nice going Chad! Great growth. I like the calipers too. I think we are all going to need 8" calipers at the end of this one. Thanks for the update.

Kenny

Thanks Kenny! Yes, I've already looked in to getting some larger ones. This one only goes to about 5.5". That will be aupon us soon!

Best wishes!

Scribbles
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
They look wonderful Chad! These discus are incredible and not a bad one in the lot. I can't wait to see how they mature.

Chris

Chad Hughes
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks Chris!

I agree. These guys come from great stock! At the rate time is passing, it will be a year before we know it!

Best wishes!

Disgirl
07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
They really look great Chad! So far your planted tank enviro. is doing really well and I think it will continue to do so!
Barb:D

Chad Hughes
07-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks Barb! So far so good! And yes, I agree! ;)

Best wishes!

calihawker
07-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Looks great Chad. Can't wait to get back and take a measurment!

Chad Hughes
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Lookin forward to it Steve! Safe travels!

GrillMaster
07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Gettin the calipers out huh Chad? ;) They look great my fiend!! You are doing an amazing job with them!! :thumbsup:

Chad Hughes
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks Mark!

Yes, last measurement wasn't very convincing for some. It looked off and made the fish look smaller than the measurement. For the benefit of the doubters, I took a more accurate measurement. Nothing to try and hide here!

Best wishes!

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Chad, remarkable progress bro. they seem to be growing daily. I love those calipers, readings made easier, as life should be! :p

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Chad Hughes
07-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Ahmed,

Thank you! Yes, they are growing very well. I didn't think about the ease in reading the caliper until you said something. This was the only one that I had on hand at home. I am trying to find something with longer arms so I can measure the fish without the caliper touching it. Thanks again for the kind words!

Best wishes!

hope
07-24-2009, 12:41 AM
they look nice and thick, too.

Chad Hughes
07-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks Hope! Yes, they are some fatties! They eat non stop. Great stock!

Best wishes!