PDA

View Full Version : I've Got Eggs!

adamsite
07-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I've noticing two of my discus doing the mating dance for a week or so now. They then got very defensive and kept my other 2 discus on the other side of the tank as they prepared an egg spot. They cleared a manzantia branch about half way up the tank and have placed their eggs and are taking turns guarding them very closely. My question is how I now clean the tank. I normally do a 40% water change every 3 days, can I still do this while keeping the eggs submerged? Is it best to space out my changes to not disturb them or should I do a more frequent change? This is my first "breeding" experience so any other advice would be greatly appreciated. by the way, I have aged water with PH of about 7, low hardness and there are other fish in the tank, including two cory cats, chinese algae eater and tetras (are any of these a threat?). Thanks a lot!

mmorris
07-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Congrats, Adam! If it were me, I wouldn't worry about this batch. I would do wc's like normal and get the pair their own 29 gal. tank. If you're lucky, you'll also need a tank to grow out the fry, like a 55 gal.