PDA

View Full Version : Egg Crate

traversediscus
07-18-2009, 06:37 PM
What do you use to cut egg crate and what is the best way to place it in the tank as in holding in place?

Thanks

Barry

Eddie
07-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey Barry, I tried to find how to cut it, I can remember someone mentioned it a while back. I want to say bolt cutters, fast and easy IMO. Then I read that people just use tubing along the sides to hold it in place. Something like 3/4" hose with a cut along one side, lengthwise and it will fit along the edge well.

Do you already have some? Why are you using it if you dont mind me asking?

Eddie

traversediscus
07-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Hey Barry, I tried to find how to cut it, I can remember someone mentioned it a while back. I want to say bolt cutters, fast and easy IMO. Then I read that people just use tubing along the sides to hold it in place. Something like 3/4" hose with a cut along one side, lengthwise and it will fit along the edge well.

Do you already have some? Why are you using it if you dont mind me asking?

Eddie

Hey Eddie.

I used snips but it like shatters instead of cuts

Im using as i am preparing for the new fish i was telling you about and didnt want them with the bigger Discus. Is that a good idea?

Cheers Eddie

Eddie
07-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey Eddie.

I used snips but it like shatters instead of cuts

Im using as i am preparing for the new fish i was telling you about and didnt want them with the bigger Discus. Is that a good idea?

Cheers Eddie

I am assuming you will be QTing the new ones on their own first, totally different tank?

I would get some of the Poret Foam from Hans to make a nice separation for the tank. I'll see if I can find the link to his pictures.

Eddie

traversediscus
07-18-2009, 10:08 PM
I am assuming you will be QTing the new ones on their own first, totally different tank?

I would get some of the Poret Foam from Hans to make a nice separation for the tank. I'll see if I can find the link to his pictures.

Eddie

Yes you would be correct. If you could find that link that would be great

Thanks

Eddie
07-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Here you go Barry!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66567&highlight=crate

All the best

Eddie

traversediscus
07-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Here you go Barry!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66567&highlight=crate

All the best

Eddie

Cheers Eddie. Thanks for always being on hand for my lazyness :D

Eddie
07-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Cheers Eddie. Thanks for always being on hand for lazyness :D

Anything I can do to help a friend! Take care and best of luck with your new ones!!!

Eddie

kpotter2
07-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I used side cutters and they worked great for me!

Good luck

Kyle

Justice
07-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I use a Jig Saw as a matter of fact I just finnished cutting a couple of dividers about 30 min ago.

grantbudd74
07-19-2009, 08:28 AM
get yourself a hacksaw and a metal file. The hacksaw blade is like a hot knife through butter! Use a file to take off and rough edges. I just used a few spray bar suction caps one each side of the crate top and bottom so I used 8 all together. No movement at all and very quick to set up and move to any place in the tank. Have fun

Justice
07-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I use the suction clips off of an old Fluval Filter.

here is a pic of one I made last night.