PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater?

toughtimes
07-21-2009, 09:25 PM
What do you guys think is it better to use peat moss to tint and acidify the water or use black water extract. Oh peat moss also contains high amounts of carbon (I guess that's how it acidifies the water) which is good for plants. Any advice on which to use and why?

mkv
07-21-2009, 09:49 PM
I would leave the water chemistry alone, is a lot of work working on you tap water to get it ready for 50% daily water changes. Discus have been kept in many ranges. You only need to be concerned with keeping optimal parameters when breeding time comes around. What are your readings from your water source?

toughtimes
07-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Out of the tap I have about 20 ppm Nitrates, the water is 3-6 DKH and runs about 7.8- 8 ph.

mkv
07-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Some people do keep them in PH 7.8 mine is 7.4. Do you have and R.O. unit or if you have access to RO water you might want to do 1/3 RO and 2/3 Taps that will take care of your nitrates and PH levels. The idea is to keep the water you use for water changes in the same parameters as you tank in order not to stress the fish. What type of filtration your are using?

toughtimes
07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I am using a sock filter for mechanical and bio-balls and heavy planting for biological. Should I have something more? I had read about diffrent resins that take the Nitrates out of the water but I have plants.

mkv
07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
That should do. The best way to keep Nitrates down is with water changes, the bigger and the more often the better. I keep mine witha wet dry planted aquarium and do 50% WC on day and about 38% the next because I my aging tubs are different in capacity. Will change the small one so I can do 50% all the time. Some poeple say that the resins can give you trouble if left too long and leak back to the tank. I never used them so I'm not sure if this is true.

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I use Black Water Extract & it helps me a great deal. I have no problems with my Discus tanks or planted tank, & I do use straight tap water. BWE is an anti-bacterium treatment, controls the spread of algae growth & is a natural colour enhancer as well as it is said to help with hole in the head with fish, which I've never had before. :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)