PDA

View Full Version : how do you get your discus to start eating

NeW2tHeBrEeD
07-26-2009, 09:45 PM
my checkerboard i got last then a week ago have not eaten yet but he looks fine and swimming all the time.....plz help '
thank you

kit
www.bigslickbullies.ca

rickztahone
07-27-2009, 01:15 AM
my checkerboard i got last then a week ago have not eaten yet but he looks fine and swimming all the time.....plz help '
thank you

kit
www.bigslickbullies.ca

try some live foods. what are you trying to feed it currently?

pinkjello
07-27-2009, 02:00 AM
sometimes it helps to put the heat up slightly to get them to eat - whats your temp at now?

jaykne
07-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Allot of discus won't eat right away. First not sure what your temp is at but take it up to 88 or even 90F that really gets them eating, second not sure what you are feeding it but they love frozen blood worms, will almost always get them eating right away, and third right after a good water change. Hope this helps. Larry

hasitha
07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Also they might not used to food you give them. Discus seems very picky about good (only still they get used, after that eat like hell ). I used give forozn dried shrimps to bunch of juvies and they refused to take anything else like a week when I had to change their diet.

NeW2tHeBrEeD
07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
temp is at 88 and i feed them bloodwarms and new life spectrum discus formula...
thankz for all the help....!!!!!!!!

Justice
07-29-2009, 12:13 PM
KIT I just take a big pinch and eat it myself and act like it tastes really good to me and that gets them thinking it is soooo good that they just have to have some too. ....... J/K! :antlers:

As far as Flake Food maybe you can try some other Flakes a few suggestions I would recommend are Omega One First Flakes great for getting them started on Flakes, and Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef and/or the Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes. I feed mine both of the Ocean Nutrition Flakes I just mix them together in a 50/50 mix.

This has always worked for me. ~HTHU~

H82LOS3
07-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Yea i feed my discus frozen hikari bloodworms

pinkjello
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
are they eating okay now??

NeW2tHeBrEeD
07-30-2009, 07:18 PM
no checker still no eating but swimming like all the either discus

Daniella
08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
It's tricky. It could have internal parasites or it could just be adaptation to its new surrounding. I would give live food and if the fish still not eat, then maybe something is wrong internaly.

Pellets or flakes won,t do it.

If you have access to white worms, or even moskito larveas (they love those!!) that come from a clean non pesticide water would surely get it going.

I have set up a few water buckets outside my place and the moskitos came to lay eggs..now I harvest about 100 moskito leaveas each day and my fish absolutely go nuts for them. I know it's safe since there is no pesticide in it. I even checked the water with a microscope just to check if there would be dangerous little parasites in there but nothing..just moskitos and not a living thing in there except moskitos.

YOu must get them back on food as soon as possible if it is a small discus or it will have growing problem and might be stunted if it stop eating for a long time and become emenciated.

thank you

kit
www.bigslickbullies.ca