PDA

View Full Version : Week 10

wgtaylor
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Well here are my Albino Golden x Spotted cross contest discus at ten weeks in our home.
They have remained healthy and have continuously been eating vigorously at every meal.
I have never raised Albino discus but have read they can be slower growing and in a group some will grow at unequal rates.
So far I have not witnessed that with this group. There is a slight difference in size but not more than what you
would expect between a male and female discus. I hope this continues to be the case. They were between
2 1/2" and 3" when I received them. The largest male I would estimate now is about 4 3/4" in total length.

Here is a couple pictures, the first, arrival day showing the size when they arrived. The second picture today, week 10.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/ArivalDayTank.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/Week10Tank.jpg

Now, as for Albino eyesight, all of the discus in this group have red iris and black pupils.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/AlbinoEyes.jpg

Most appear to be able to see normal but two have some problems. One misses flake food 2 or 3 times before being
able to grab food in it's mouth. I have one that has to put his forehead on the bottom of the tank to see pellets.
He eats beefheart mix easily since it is a larger target and he doesn't seem to have much trouble picking out flake food because it is directly in front of his face.
He sure has trouble with pellets. I expect if I only fed pellets this guy would not do as well as he has with the mixed foods he now gets.

This is the guy in this video looks like he may never get enough to eat but I can assure you this discus is one of the largest in the group so he is able to get his share of food. :)
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/th_AlbinoEyesight.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/?action=view&current=AlbinoEyesight.flv)

The water parameters have stayed the same, 65 microseimens, 30 parts per million, ph 6.5 with 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia.
The nitrates remain about 5 ppm with 75% daily water changes. All sides, bottom of tank, air lines and any surfaces in the tank are wiped down every other day.
I am still feeding beefheart/shrimp mix twice per day and flake two to three times with pellets once at midday during their water change.
I use only beefheart and shrimp in my mix now at a ratio of 25% shrimp 75% beefheart by weight.

I continue to enjoy these guys more every day. :)
Thanks,
Bill

Eddie
07-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Wow Bill, they definitely have taken a great amount of size from when you first received them. They are all big and beautiful! The video of the one with the eyesight issue had me frustrated! LOL I was thinking to myself, come on, you can get it, there you go....NOPE! Its all good though, he/she is getting large anyways, good clean water and the mix will do it!

Take care man and keep up the amazing work!

Eddie

wgtaylor
07-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Hey, thanks Eddie

That guy in the video usually gets a bite in his mouth by accident and he sort of looks surprised when he does. ha ha

Hey, did you see how big my avatar is getting ? :D

Bill

Eddie
07-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey, thanks Eddie

That guy in the video usually gets a bite in his mouth by accident and he sort of looks surprised when he does. ha ha

Hey, did you see how big my avatar is getting ? :D

Bill

I see the future through your avatar Bill! ;)

Take care!

Eddie

wgtaylor
07-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I see the future through your avatar Bill! ;)

Its all good though, he/she is getting large anyways, good clean water and the mix will do it!

Take care man and keep up the amazing work!

Eddie

Hey Eddie,

I admire your persistence offering all your good advice, especially importance of water changes to get good growth.
You are doing a great service to this forum.

btw, I printed my avatar on a sheet of paper then put it in a bowl of water and it grew 1 inch overnight......water is the key :D:D:D

Bill

Scribbles
07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Your discus look great! They sure have grown. Have you tried hand feeding some of the smaller foods to give the one with visual problems a bigger target?

Chris

wgtaylor
07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Your discus look great! They sure have grown. Have you tried hand feeding some of the smaller foods to give the one with visual problems a bigger target?C

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yup, with the flake food, I hold it between my thumb and first finger until it soakes up water and releases in a clump, he gets that pretty good. He also gets the beefheart mix because it is a large target, he seems to manage and is growing well.

Thanks for the tip, I may try hand feeding with the pellets. :)

Bill

rickztahone
07-28-2009, 03:43 PM
i have never seen any of my discus go completely vertical like that. they are looking great

wgtaylor
07-28-2009, 06:35 PM
i have never seen any of my discus go completely vertical like that. they are looking great

Hi Ricardo

You have some beautiful discus and I love your tanks you have them setup in. :)
I didn't see any Albino discus in your tanks so they wouldn't have the eyesight problem that can develop with Albino's. This guy
is doing just fine even though he can't see that well. He apparently stands on his head to try to see the food.
Thanks for the compliment Ricardo
Bill

calihawker
07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Great job Bill!:) Love the video and the avatar as well!

wgtaylor
07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Great job Bill!:) Love the video and the avatar as well!

Thanks Steve
The avatar is only temporary, just thought I would help stir the competition and give us something to shoot for....8 inch would be nice. You guys can probably get there.
Take care,
Bill

Chad Hughes
07-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Bill,

Looking outstanding! Love the video too!

Well done my friend!

Best wishes!

MostlyDiscus
07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
wow,,,

I have to say that this web site is a true testament to the mutual coperation between discus enthuisist and friends. As we say in fantasy football, "its a long year". I have not been keeping close track of this thread,
Sorry.

If I may.

With nothing less from the contestants and their dilligent efforts to maintain optimal water conditions,feed and comfortable living conditions I really hope that there is a tie. DoH Very Very impressive from all of you. I am no expert and I dont believe in blowing slow smoke, but wow... what a great job. TX anyone??? I really hope to meet you all. What a great time that would be to meet you all.

Ed

calihawker
07-29-2009, 04:22 PM
wow,,,

I have to say that this web site is a true testament to the mutual coperation between discus enthuisist and friends. As we say in fantasy football, "its a long year". I have not been keeping close track of this thread,
Sorry.

If I may.

With nothing less from the contestants and their dilligent efforts to maintain optimal water conditions,feed and comfortable living conditions I really hope that there is a tie. DoH Very Very impressive from all of you. I am no expert and I dont believe in blowing slow smoke, but wow... what a great job. TX anyone??? I really hope to meet you all. What a great time that would be to meet you all.

Ed

I totally agree with you Ed. It's like I said early in the contest, just getting these high quality, beautiful fish I feel like we're winners already. Regardless how it turns out there's not a contestant that hasn't done an outstanding job and I don't think any of us will feel bad if we don't win.:)

MostlyDiscus
07-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Steve,

I really hope more people make the show in TX. Would be sooooo kewl to meet with everyone. Back in the day we didnt have the net like this. It was a real treat.

Ed

wgtaylor
07-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Not much would make me more proud than to win the contest but nothing would make me happier and excited for any one of the other contestants to win. :)
Steve and I have a similar situation with our extremely soft water to growout our discus. This was my main objective in this contest, to see how they would grow in this water.
Knowledge and friendship is far more important than winning.......................but I'm still gonna try..........and...........watch out Steve, my avatar is getting big. :D:D
Been to SE Texas a couple times, Houston, Galveston area. Nice country but probably have to stay and do daily water changes.
Would be a lot of fun to hit all the shows around the country and meet all you good discus people. :)

Bill

calihawker
07-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Steve,

I really hope more people make the show in TX. Would be sooooo kewl to meet with everyone. Back in the day we didnt have the net like this. It was a real treat.

Ed

Yeah, it would be very cool to meet everyone.:) All I have to do to convince the wife is schedule a family vacation around it. They have cruises out of Galveston. When is the show?:D

Mr Wild
07-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Great fish, fab avatar and just love that vid!

wgtaylor
07-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Great fish, fab avatar and just love that vid!

Thanks Kath for the kind words.
I had planned to keep the avatar up only a couple days, just for fun. :D:D
Great seeing the pics of you discus on your threads, good pics, nice discus. :)
Take care
Bill

Mr Wild
07-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Thanks Kath for the kind words.
I had planned to keep the avatar up only a couple days, just for fun. :D:D
Great seeing the pics of you discus on your threads, good pics, nice discus. :)
Take care
Bill

Naa I love it keep it at least until the contest is over ! Its a hoot!

Thanks for the compliments - aren't discus just a fab fish to have? A new visitor to my home was stunned to see they knew me and came up to the glass when they wouldn't for him....hahahaha I love em!