PDA

View Full Version : Odyssea lights fixtures

smsimcik
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this brand of lights sold on Aquatraders.com ? They are so cheap it makes me suspicious of the quality. Are they worth buying?

Chad Hughes
07-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Steve,

I have one the is a 48" CF 280 watts and a 72" MH/CF over 1000 watts that I have been using for at least three years. They work well. The 48" light is developing some issues with the pin connectors. The last time that I changed out the bulbs they were sort of corroded and I had to clean and realign them. Other than that, no complaints. These are all over Ebay. That's where I got mine!

Best wishes!

smsimcik
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks Chad, that's what I needed to hear. Anyone else got any input?

YSS
07-29-2009, 05:51 PM
All my light fixtures are either Odyssea or other similar type of cheap fixtures. I had one fixture die on me in 2 and half years and another one in just over a year, but that one I bought it used from someone else, so not sure how long the fixture lasted overall. I have one fixture that's over 2 years old that's going strong. I have another one that's going strong for almost year and half. I just bought another one a couple of months ago. I will probably keep buying them.

KDodds
07-30-2009, 08:06 AM
I must have used, over the years, every brand of CF fixture out there (marine tanks mostly). By far, the most bang for the buck I've gotten out of the aquatraders Odyssea fixtures. No, they're not the prettiest fixtures, but they're not ugly by any means. They're not the sturdiest, most well made either. But really, how well made does it need to be? Ballast, lamp, connectors, wires, shell. How complicated is that? Anyway, I've 4 or 5 that are now at least 2 years old that are all running fine. By contrast, I've had every single Coralife fixture blow at least one ballast/fan in that same time frame. Yeah, they're inexpensive, yeah, they seem flimsier, but they really are an excellent solution and very workable. There are higher end fixtures that are a bit nicer, and seem to be more well made, but you can spend, easily, 4x the amount for them.

YSS
07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
I must have used, over the years, every brand of CF fixture out there (marine tanks mostly). By far, the most bang for the buck I've gotten out of the aquatraders Odyssea fixtures. No, they're not the prettiest fixtures, but they're not ugly by any means. They're not the sturdiest, most well made either. But really, how well made does it need to be? Ballast, lamp, connectors, wires, shell. How complicated is that? Anyway, I've 4 or 5 that are now at least 2 years old that are all running fine. By contrast, I've had every single Coralife fixture blow at least one ballast/fan in that same time frame. Yeah, they're inexpensive, yeah, they seem flimsier, but they really are an excellent solution and very workable. There are higher end fixtures that are a bit nicer, and seem to be more well made, but you can spend, easily, 4x the amount for them.

Actually, the newer models are a lot more slick and sturdier as well. The last one I bought is very well made in my opinion.

smsimcik
07-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys for all the input. I think I'll probably give them a try.

Chad Hughes
07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Steve,

For the money I think you'll be happy with them.

Best wishes!

DHavens
07-30-2009, 06:19 PM
I bought one to use over a corner aquarium and it was great for the price. I also used mine over a reef tank and had to upgrade the halide bulb but I would buy another one in a heart beat.