PDA

View Full Version : QUIKRETE Pool Filter Sand

Justice
08-01-2009, 08:56 PM
I found this Pool Filter Sand at a Local Pool Supply Store today it is dark Tan in color and was only $5.19 a bag for 50 Lbs and VERY coarse.

Printed on bag as follows:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION QUIKRETEŽ Filter Sand is narrowly graded pre washed clean dry silica sand specially graded for use in swimming pool filters.

Composition and Materials: QUIKRETEŽ Filter Sand is high quality silica sand.

Packaging: 50-lb (13.6 Kg) bags

Color: tan.

TECHNICAL QUIKRETEŽ Filter Sand has a predominant size range as follows:

US Sieve Size 20-40

Particle size (0.85-0.425 mm)

rickztahone
08-01-2009, 09:40 PM
i've been trying to find some and have been unsuccessful. i do plan on going to a masonry shop soon though. hopefully they have some

Justice
08-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I am fixing to do a vinegar test on it.

Justice
08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
i've been trying to find some and have been unsuccessful. i do plan on going to a masonry shop soon though. hopefully they have some

Ricardo, I am told that lowes carries it at times.

Chad Hughes
08-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Is this the same as the play sand? I've used it for a long time. Works great!

Justice
08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Is this the same as the play sand? I've used it for a long time. Works great!Chad the bag said Pool Filter Sand on it but they may bag the same stuff in different bags for all I know.

I am posting a pic of some of it, this is the coarsest sand I have ever seen in my life it is so coarse that it is almost a very fine gravel and BTW it did pass the Vinegar test. I think this is heavy enough to even gravel vac!

rickztahone
08-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Chad the bag said Pool Filter Sand on it but they may bag the same stuff in different bags for all I know.

I am posting a pic of some of it, this is the coarsest sand I have ever seen in my life it is so coarse that it is almost a very fine gravel and BTW it did pass the Vinegar test. I think this is heavy enough to even gravel vac!

that is pretty coarse. i was looking for something a little lighter though. was this the only color?

Justice
08-01-2009, 11:13 PM
that is pretty coarse. i was looking for something a little lighter though. was this the only color?

Ricardo it is the only color that I saw anyway of that brand. And I did tell the lady when I got there that I was looking for another color of Pool Sand other than the Super Fine Grade of Snow White of another brand that they carry there.

Chad Hughes
08-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Chad the bag said Pool Filter Sand on it but they may bag the same stuff in different bags for all I know.

That's definately not play sand. Play sand is very white and fine. I love it!

Try the play sand. Same price as this at home depot.

Ricardo it is the only color that I saw anyway of that brand. And I did tell the lady when I got there that I was looking for another color of Pool Sand other than the Super Fine Grade of Snow White of another brand that they carry there.

Play sand is the way to go for the price. I wouldn't say it's snow white, but is white and very fine!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
08-02-2009, 03:19 AM
That's definately not play sand. Play sand is very white and fine. I love it!

Try the play sand. Same price as this at home depot.

Play sand is the way to go for the price. I wouldn't say it's snow white, but is white and very fine!

Best wishes!

i actually went to HD and saw the play sand but i thought it would be too fine. it looked exactly like the kind at the kids playgrounds but a little darker. if it was lighter i would have gotten it and seen how it does but again it just looked too fine to me. there might just be different sizes or something. i'll try Lowes

Justice
08-02-2009, 04:25 AM
I put some of the Sand in to see how My Brilliant Blues would look against its color and I think they look much Bluer than they did with a white painted bottom.

David Rose
08-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Lowes had the QK premium play sand on special this past week sitting outside near the contractors entrance. Buy two 50# bags @ $2.60 and get one free.

rickztahone
08-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I put some of the Sand in to see how My Brilliant Blues would look against its color and I think they look much Bluer than they did with a white painted bottom.

that looks much better than i thought it would. it really makes the colors pop! great job. do you have a full tank shot?

Justice
08-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Here you are Ricardo.

machine77
08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
for those who are looking for sand thats not as corse and alot lighter in color, try silica sand.. works great.. im about to replace my gravel with this stuff. hope this helps out.
nolan

Justice
08-04-2009, 08:55 AM
This stuff IMO is too Orange or at least it is under an Aqua-Glo Bulb.

I am going to go buy another Light Bulb, But if it is still Orange then out it comes.