PDA

View Full Version : Is there a definitive 'hair algae' eater?

seancj
08-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I've got some green hair algae starting to grow on my HC ground cover. I'm doing my best to figure out what is causing it, but before it gets out of hand, is there a fish or invert that is a 100% certain eater of this stuff? I purchased five Siamese algae eaters last week at the recommendation of my LFS and they haven't touched the stuff :mad:
I would be grateful for other options that would be safe with my soon to be here discus.
Thanks
Sean

Scribbles
08-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I believe that flying fox eat hair algae but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone know?

Chris

Inland Empire Discus
08-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Try a bala shark or roseline shark. I have seen both eat it fairly well. If you have the true flying fox they like algae but I have never seen them eat hair algae.

seancj
08-04-2009, 01:25 AM
I have 5 roseline sharks in the tank as well. I have seen them nibble on the green algae growing on the rocks, but they aren't touching hair algae.

seancj
08-04-2009, 01:27 AM
I've read that Seachem's Flourish Excel stops algae growth. I'm dosing the recommended dosage 2 times per week. Should I increase the dosage to combat the algae?

cyberhog05
08-04-2009, 03:44 AM
H2O2. cheap and effective. I destroyed my hair and staghorn algae problem with H2O2. But then you get to figure out why you have the algae in the first place!

I cant remember but do you have pres. co2? Never mind I see you dont. With the amount of light you are using you are going to have to do pres. Co2. Your algae problems are only going to get worse. I would cut back the lights until you get Co2.

YSS
08-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Florida Flag fish and SAE.

Apistomaster
08-04-2009, 11:58 AM
There are no guaranteed to eat unwanted algae because the algae specie are are often different but two different people may both call them hair algae.
SAE are actually quite selective about what they will eat; commercial fish foods which are greatly preferred to algae and they tend to out grow eating most algae quickly. American Flag Fish Killies are unpredicatble too. They sometimes have a mean streak to contend with as do even true SAE's and they can't be counted on to eat the algae that is causing you the greatest trouble..

If you have strong lighting then you also need supplemental CO2 and a skilled touch with fertilizers and this combination will usually provide the best control over algae growth although even if you know what you are doing it takes time to develop an ecosystem unfriendly to algae. If you don't have this experience then it will take some time to learn how to run an aquatic garden. This aquatic gardening is really a hobby in itself quite distinct from simply keeping Discus.

Keeping Discus is much easier than running a successful aquatic garden and the 2 taken together can be a real challenge.

cyberhog05
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Well said Larry! It is really been a non stop learning experience with new challenges regularly.

Crstfr
08-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Florida Flag fish and SAE.

+2

thats all you need!.... or choose one or the other, or both!