PDA

View Full Version : New bulkhead design?

Chad Hughes
08-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Check this link (http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/829/2-pipe-size-237-OD-3-holesaw-size)out. These bulkheads are half the price of a standard bulkhead fitting and, IMO are easier to deal with. It says that they work on walls up to 1/2" thick. I may have to give these a try!

Best wishes!

Darrell Ward
08-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I've seen these before, but never tried them. I would be interested in how well they work. If you try them, be sure to keep us informed. :D

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I love Uniseals. They have saved me more than once in larger applications. My only beef with them is that unlike a solid bulkhead, where the piping stays rigid in the system, Uniseals are more like an o-ring gasket. This means if the pipe isnt secured on both sides it can allow for a decent amount of flexibility. Depending on the situation, that may or may not be desirable. For a tank connection in a recirc system I prefer a solid bulkhead for its rigidity. Sump connections, odd surface connections (water storage barrels) or even the odd patch job (dont ask, LOL) they work great. It just depends on the application of their use.

-Ryan

Chad Hughes
08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I love Uniseals. They have saved me more than once in larger applications. My only beef with them is that unlike a solid bulkhead, where the piping stays rigid in the system, Uniseals are more like an o-ring gasket. This means if the pipe isnt secured on both sides it can allow for a decent amount of flexibility. Depending on the situation, that may or may not be desirable. For a tank connection in a recirc system I prefer a solid bulkhead for its rigidity. Sump connections, odd surface connections (water storage barrels) or even the odd patch job (dont ask, LOL) they work great. It just depends on the application of their use.

-Ryan

Ryan,

I knew you'd have some input on this since they are on the link that you sent me for the pumps. LOL! Anyway, thanks for your input here. I guess I have one question. If the plumbing on one side of the seal is fixed "rigid" to a rack frame, would these work?

Best wishes!

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Absolutely. It will still be somewhat flexible, but it shouldnt be a big issue.

Dont forget to look at the size chart. The holes are not standard bulkhead sized holes (1" standard bulkhead needs around 1 7/8" hole, Uniseal is 1 3/4"). So if you already have a hole drilled into an aquarium, double check the size and make sure you get exactly the right sized Uniseal. If the hole isnt what they specify, the Uniseals wont work properly as they work based on a compression seal.

Let me know when you go to install these. I have a few tips for you that will make things go a bit easier.

-Ryan

Chad Hughes
08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Absolutely. It will still be somewhat flexible, but it shouldnt be a big issue.

Dont forget to look at the size chart. The holes are not standard bulkhead sized holes (1" standard bulkhead needs around 1 7/8" hole, Uniseal is 1 3/4"). So if you already have a hole drilled into an aquarium, double check the size and make sure you get exactly the right sized Uniseal. If the hole isnt what they specify, the Uniseals wont work properly as they work based on a compression seal.

Let me know when you go to install these. I have a few tips for you that will make things go a bit easier.

-Ryan

Ryan,

Thanks again for the greta tips! You're the man! I'll be sure to let you know when the fun begins. LOL!

Chad

kpotter2
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
These look great! Can't wait to here more about them! Keep us posted

Thanks

Kyle

Eddie
08-04-2009, 09:47 PM
AquaticEco has had these for a while now. They look pretty good, never used them before.

Eddie

KJoFan
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/

This is where I get mine, looks to be a bit cheaper than AquaticEco as well. Although I don't know how shipping compares.

I used Uniseals when I recently set up my storage barrel system. I had a few issues installing (probably just ignorant mistakes) but all in all they worked great. They're cheaper than traditional bulkheads, served my purpose on the rounded barrels and work like a charm so far!

Jason
08-04-2009, 11:01 PM
do not use them on glass!

Chad Hughes
08-04-2009, 11:56 PM
do not use them on glass!

Care to share your tragic glass experience? I thought of glass when I read about these and wondered if the sharp endges would impact their effectiveness.

DHavens
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
better used on plastic tanks.....think water aging tanks.

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Ive never had a problem using them on glass tanks....:confused:

-Ryan

Chad Hughes
08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Ive never had a problem using them on glass tanks....:confused:

-Ryan

Hmmmm.... I may have to expiriment. ;)

Jhhnn
08-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I have a coupla questions for KJoFan about these gizmos, as I just ordered some from aquaticeco-

Will they tolerate the pipe being out of square at all, and are they pretty secure once installed?

I want to use 'em to connect my ageing barrels, so I can obviously extend the pipes further into the barrels than absolutely necessary, but I'd like to benefit from your experience... if you would, please.

Thanks!

KJoFan
08-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes they will tolerate the pipe being out of square. When I put mine together, I had one especially that ended up at a bit of an angle, I haven't experienced any issues with leaking thus far.

And yes they are secure once installed. I was a noob at using them and found it moderately difficult to get the pipes pushed through them. So needless to say, once they are in they won't be moving/slipping around.

You will have the ability to move them somewhat of course but in general the pipe is quite well seated in there.

I found it fairly easy to pop the seals in and out before putting the pipe in, but it's the pipes that help secure the whole thing if you know what I mean. The pipe will expand the rubber that lines the hole, which firms everything up.

A couple words of advice, make sure to use a hole saw to cut the holes in your barrels. The seals count on having as smooth of edge as possible to make a good seal. Also, make sure to get a clean, straight cut on your pipes, or you may risk tearing up the uniseal as you try to push the pipe in. But with clean edges on both the pipes and barrel you shouldn't have any problems.

You can also use a bit of water or vegetable oil on the end of the pipe to help it slide in easier, which I did as well.

hth!

Jhhnn
08-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks, KJoFan. Now that they've arrived from Aquaticeco, it's a lot easier to relate to what you've said. They look to be pretty robust. I'll report back on my own experience, which may be awhile the way things are going for me atm...

Thanks again!