PDA

View Full Version : discus housing

billy111
08-10-2009, 08:17 AM
hi guys i currently got a 40 gallon tank cycling at the moment and i was wondering what would be a good number of discus for it, im new to discus but i read somewhere the rule of thumb is like 1 per 10 gallon so i was thinking maybe a school of 4 maybe 6 at the most? if anyone has some advice please dont hesitate to share

thanks, Billy

csarkar001
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
my experience is that 4 is a difficult number for discus. the fighting tends to get out of hand.

--chandan

Daniella
08-10-2009, 09:15 AM
40 gallons is way too small for discus. It will be ok for growing them up a little but very soon you will have to get something like 75 gallon or so.

6 discus at least and don,t buy from a pet store. If you are begining with discus, I suggest you buy adults or young adulst as younger discus like 4 inches or smaller are easy to stunt for beginners.

So if you go start with larger discus, you need a larger tank right away. They are more expensive but much more resistant for beginer and they don,t need to eat 6 times a day.

Also adult or young adults don't fight much, but babies are a pain! they fight all the time unless there is a large group of them. I guess it's like baby dogs or baby cats..they just fight and fight all the time when they don't sleep.

hi guys i currently got a 40 gallon tank cycling at the moment and i was wondering what would be a good number of discus for it, im new to discus but i read somewhere the rule of thumb is like 1 per 10 gallon so i was thinking maybe a school of 4 maybe 6 at the most? if anyone has some advice please dont hesitate to share

thanks, Billy

MRQuad
08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
40 gallons is way too small for discus. It will be ok for growing them up a little but very soon you will have to get something like 75 gallon or so.

6 discus at least and don,t buy from a pet store. If you are begining with discus, I suggest you buy adults or young adulst as younger discus like 4 inches or smaller are easy to stunt for beginners.

So if you go start with larger discus, you need a larger tank right away. They are more expensive but much more resistant for beginer and they don,t need to eat 6 times a day.

Also adult or young adults don't fight much, but babies are a pain! they fight all the time unless there is a large group of them. I guess it's like baby dogs or baby cats..they just fight and fight all the time when they don't sleep.

agreed!