PDA

View Full Version : Matala Sheet Filtration

Chad Hughes
08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Anyone have any experience with this media (http://www.lagunakoi.com/subcat134.html)? I'm about to set up two 125 gallon sump filters and was considering using this media. Just wanted to get anyone's thoughts. Other than the apparnet GREAT biological and mechanical filtration, this place is about 30 minutes from me. NO SHIPPING! ;)

Thanks in advance!

acroken
08-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Chad,
I use the same stuff from Jehmco. IMO it is great. Very easy to clean and will last a life time. I use the grey super high density and blue high density together. I would recommend it.

Good Luck!
Kenny

Chad Hughes
08-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Chad,
I use the same stuff from Jehmco. IMO it is great. Very easy to clean and will last a life time. I use the grey super high density and blue high density together. I would recommend it.

Good Luck!
Kenny

Kenny,

What type of system do you use this in and how is the flow rate? Looks like awesome stuff!

Thanks brother!

acroken
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Chad,
I use it in a three stag wet/dry before my sump. the flow rate is 990gph +/- with total 4.6 cubic foot of media. i use this in two different systems of 6-55 each. I am not a huge fan of systems, this is for fry grow out.

Kenny

Chad Hughes
08-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the information Kenny! Very helpful. ;)

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I have no personal use with it, but I have seen it working in many applications. From what it seems, it works fairly well for what it is.

-Ryan

Chad Hughes
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Ryan,

Thanks for the imupt! I appreciate it!

Best wishes!

Darrell Ward
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Chad,

Good Luck!
Kenny

Yep, I've used the gray ones in my sumps for about 4 years now. They are just like they were when first installed. They are kinda pricey, but worth it.

Chad Hughes
08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Nice! That's the kind of information that I'm looking for! LOL!

For as functional as they calim to be, I think the price is worth it.

Thanks again!

David Rose
09-10-2009, 04:18 PM
This is what I use in my Koi pond. I have three stacked under (2) 50lb bags of lava rock. They work great and are easy to rinse with a garden hose. There are similar less costly pads in your local pond supply stores for pond fountains and or skimmers.

hth

Chad Hughes
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
This is what I use in my Koi pond. I have three stacked under (2) 50lb bags of lava rock. They work great and are easy to rinse with a garden hose. There are similar less costly pads in your local pond supply stores for pond fountains and or skimmers.

hth

Thanks for the input Daivd! One question. How do you clean the pads if they are under 100 lbs of lava rock?? I really like the way this product holds up and is so easy to clean. I am really looking for a biological media that will work well in two 100 gallon sumps. Obviously, I need a good bit of media. I figued this would probably be best used in vertical chambers. I am still tinkering with using something else.

Thanks again!

David Rose
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
The lava rocks are in two fish net bags with draw strings that I have to lift out to get to the pads. Fortunately, I only need to do this 3 times each season. The lava rocks need gently rinsed as well.

This is my summer exercise routine along with all the pruning and gardening that goes on as well. I have hedges, pine trees, and over 150 varieties of plants, flowers and other shrubs on my property. :D

Thanks for the input Daivd! One question. How do you clean the pads if they are under 100 lbs of lava rock?? I really like the way this product holds up and is so easy to clean. I am really looking for a biological media that will work well in two 100 gallon sumps. Obviously, I need a good bit of media. I figued this would probably be best used in vertical chambers. I am still tinkering with using something else.

Thanks again!

Chad Hughes
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
The lava rocks are in two fish net bags with draw strings that I have to lift out to get to the pads. Fortunately, I only need to do this 3 times each season. The lava rocks need gently rinsed as well.

This is my summer exercise routine along with all the pruning and gardening that goes on as well. I have hedges, pine trees, and over 150 varieties of plants, flowers and other shrubs on my property. :D

David,

That makes sense! Thanks for the clarification. Sounds lke you own a nursery! LOL! I have a lot of plants too. Puts all my tank waste water to great use!

Best wishes!

Cakes
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Chad,

Good Luck!
Kenny

Jehmco seems to be cheaper too:

http://jehmco.com/html/accessories___media.html

David Rose
02-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Curious how many layers of the media sheets do you all use? i.e. do you stack them to fill your intake chambers?

Thanks!

Schneeball
02-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Chad, I recently bought some Poret foam and also use Matala for my Koi pond. the finest Poret is finer than the finest Matala so you might want to look into that to go inline after the Matala. Matala is tougher but the Poret is pretty close.

Chad Hughes
03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info on that. As it stands, the matal that I use in the sumps is about all I can handle. If I go any finer, there will be too much flow resistence and I'll have issues. So far so good. I use all 4 densities of the matala in each sump.

Best wishes!

Darrell Ward
04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Just an update on my experiences with the longevity of Matala. After 4 years and 11 months of having it in my sumps, I noticed that in one tank a couple of the sheets were getting flimsy, and losing rigidity. I replaced them with 4" thick Poret. We'll see how that holds up. In the other tank, the Matala is still holding up. In summary, you can expect Matala to last approximately 5 years under normal conditions.

Chad Hughes
04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Just an update on my experiences with the longevity of Matala. After 4 years and 11 months of having it in my sumps, I noticed that in one tank a couple of the sheets were getting flimsy, and losing rigidity. I replaced them with 4" thick Poret. We'll see how that holds up. In the other tank, the Matala is still holding up. In summary, you can expect Matala to last approximately 5 years under normal conditions.

Nice! Thanks for the update. 5 years is pretty good. How was your Matala situated in your sump? I've got mine stnading on end in glass chambers. I'm wondering if it's a support issue that may have caused it to fail. Regardless, everything fails at some point, right?

Best wishes!

Darrell Ward
04-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Mine was lying flat with water draining trough it. I guess it just wore out from the constant water running through it.

Fons_van_der_Hart
04-23-2010, 04:15 AM
In one of my filtersystems I'm still using 15 years old poret foam. Once a year it's being rinsed and that's it. So the lifespan is extremely long.