PDA

View Full Version : How to force pairing?

discus_newbie
08-14-2009, 04:56 AM
First of all, I just want to let you know I'm in no position to even have baby discus right now, as mine are only 2-3.5", a long way to go before I can see any eggs :D. But I've heard about natural pairing and force pairing methods, I just wonder how do you force them to pair? Just to open my knowledge pool :angel:

Eddie
08-14-2009, 07:28 AM
First of all, I just want to let you know I'm in no position to even have baby discus right now, as mine are only 2-3.5", a long way to go before I can see any eggs :D. But I've heard about natural pairing and force pairing methods, I just wonder how do you force them to pair? Just to open my knowledge pool :angel:

Put a male and female together in the same tank, LOL.

Eddie

mmorris
08-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Tell her he's the last man on earth. :D

Daniella
08-14-2009, 08:48 AM
It could happen faster than you think. I bought a 3 inches fish about 3 month ago and now he around 5 inches and has paired up with my female and they had fry. However it's the female that initiated the whole thing. She was shaking at every male in the tank.

If you see a female do that shaking, it's a good sign she is ready to breed. My female is around 11 months and the male is around 8 months. So I was surprised but they can do it quite young.

allan_mark76
08-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Add the female in the breeding tank first. Let her stay in the breeder tank for 1week by herself and feed and wc's like usual. After 1week add the suitable male into the tank. This has to be a positive ID on the sex.

This works for me.

~AKA~

Peachtree Discus
08-14-2009, 10:18 AM
you can never force a female to do anything she doesn't want to do!!! wait....are we talking fish?!? :D well, it's not really "forced"...more like arranged. forced pairings can have issues with 1 fish wanting to horde the responsibilities. i have had to separate forced pairs during different stages of breeding. well, i guess natural pairings can have that too. wait...are we talking fish?!? :D it's like Eddie said....

Put a male and female together in the same tank...

discus_newbie
08-14-2009, 10:18 AM
HMm.. thanks for the replies. Your method sounds like it would work and so is your Eddie :D. Ok final question, if i want to break up a pair, for whatever reasons (eg. PBxBD) then do I just put them in separate tanks for a few weeks and chuck them back together? Will they remember that the other one is their ex?

Peachtree Discus
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
....if i want to break up a pair, for whatever reasons (eg. PBxBD) then do I just put them in separate tanks for a few weeks and chuck them back together? Will they remember that the other one is their ex?

discus don't pair for life, so they could break up in the same tank. but, moving them to separate tanks ensures they are broken up. putting them back together may or may not end up with them pairing again....really kinda unpredictable. depends on the female.

Daniella
08-14-2009, 01:21 PM
My female paired up with a small young male, then with another one, then back with the first one :)

All this hapened in less than a week. She is back and forth between the 2 and she will breed with which ever of those 2 males who are in control of the driftwood she likes. There is a third male who would love to be her partner as well but she hates that one..not sure why.

discus don't pair for life, so they could break up in the same tank. but, moving them to separate tanks ensures they are broken up. putting them back together may or may not end up with them pairing again....really kinda unpredictable. depends on the female.

Ibanez540r
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Is there a definite way to tell a male from female other then when spawning? I've got a ton of shaking and pecking but dont know who is who? Sorry to jack the thread but thought it fit..