PDA

View Full Version : Moving Day (bigger growout tank)

wgtaylor
08-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Moving Day for Contest Discus, (getting a bigger tank.)
This is week 12 and my contest discus have grown very well. The six were starting to get a little crowded in their 55 gallon tank.
My wife was kind enough to donate one of her 80 gallon tanks for the cause and I'm sure these guys will love the extra space.
I never have a problem moving fish around but I have to admit I was a little more nervous with this move. I feel more like a caretaker of priceless fish.
The same is true with care and feeding of them. I don't want to do anything that will muck things up, there is no anonymity, it would be shown on the next weekly posting.
They have been in their new tank now for a few hours and their move went smooth.
I started a couple days ago using an extra strong solution of potassium permanganate to sterilize the tank. I did this outside because I could drain it onto the ground instead
of down the drain. Besides I don't know if any of you have spilled pp on a carpet but I don't want to do it AGAIN. I let the pp stay in the tank overnight and then cleaned and
flushed the tank before bringing it inside. If you can't see my neighbors, I can't either. They are bears, cougars, bobcat, deer and raccoons.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Moving%20Day/MoveDay1.jpg

Got their old tank moved over 1", the fully loaded china hutch moved 1" and just enough room for the new tank and stand.
Siphoning and filling will be exactly the same as before, as simple as I can make for now. I got the tank filled and let it set for a day for temperature to adjust.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Moving%20Day/MoveDay2.jpg

Most of this move I had planned but since I was going to move the fish the last minute I decided it might be a good opportunity to take a quick measurement of some
of the discus. I grabbed a net which I thought would be big enough, it was a 5" x 6" opening, big enough to move the fish but not quite big enough to see for measuring.
For the final measurement I will probably order a large cotton net from Jemco.
This first discus is the most colorful and the smallest of the group, measuring just slightly over 4 1/4".
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Moving%20Day/MoveDay3.jpg

The scale on some of these pictures look like it's not at the tip of the discus nose because of the camera angle. When taking the pictures I was looking straight down
on the scale it was as close to the tip of nose I could get. For the final pictures I will have a bigger net and a better method of showing the size.
This is one of the spotted ones and it is very close to 5".
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Moving%20Day/MoveDay4.jpg

The third picture is one of the golden albino and may be the biggest of the bunch and measures also close to 5". He also has the highest body form of all in the group.
I didn't measure the others but I estimate them to be between 4 1/2" to 4 3/4". I wanted to get the biggest and smallest discus pictures while I had the chance.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Moving%20Day/MoveDay5.jpg

Here is a picture of them looking much smaller in their new home.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Moving%20Day/MoveDay6.jpg

This is 10 minutes after the move and they look like they are a little homesick. I know this tank will be better for them it will give them more than the 10 gallon per discus for growth.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Moving%20Day/MoveDay7.jpg
Glad the move is over.
Bill

Eddie
08-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Very nice Bill, looks like everything went as smooth as possible! Even got to get some good shots in of their size. Man, you are gonna grow them babies to 10"s since there is a long way to go still!

All the best my friend,

Eddie

Chad Hughes
08-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Bill,

They look fantastic and HUGE! I love the new tank. I have to say that looking at the background behind your truck, you live in a very beautiful part of the country! I love it!

Have a great weekend!

Armandi_Fishcarer
08-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Bill, very nicely put together :bandana: love the country myself :antlers: although live in the city. The fish are looking remarkable & that tank will surely fill out the fish with you TLC. Keep up the tramendous job! :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Eddie
08-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Bill,

They look fantastic and HUGE! I love the new tank. I have to say that looking at the background behind your truck, you live in a very beautiful part of the country! I love it!

Have a great weekend!

True Chad , I gotta admit, I am a city boy at heart but you can't beat the smell of open country! There is nothing like it! Must be nice Bill! I envy you for those killer fish and your living environment! ;)

Take care,

Eddie

Darren's Discus
08-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Bill,
the new digs look great,fish are doing great.keep up the good work.

cheers

hedut
08-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm agree with Eddie, very nice and big Bill, they grow very fast. You doing good job for raising them and congratulation for your new tank. Hendri

calihawker
08-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Congrats on the succesful move Bill! Great measurements, they are getting huge!

MRQuad
08-15-2009, 11:38 AM
they are huge indeed! keep up a great job!

i was planning to paint my tank with black background on it.. :D

thanks for sharing..

wgtaylor
08-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Very nice Bill, looks like everything went as smooth as possible! Even got to get some good shots in of their size. Man, you are gonna grow them babies to 10"s since there is a long way to go still!
All the best my friend,
Eddie

Thanks Eddie
You know, I'm not sure what's in store for these guys. Yes, there is 9 more months to go in the contest. Their growth has to start slowing down soon.
Everyone in the contest is doing very well with their discus and I predict this year there will be adults going to spawning mode before it's over. That could make things interesting around March or April. I think I may ask Santa for a couple 30 gallon tanks. That may be like counting your chickens before they hatch but better to plan and be ready. It's too easy to get caught with not enough tanks and space. :)
Bill

Islesfan
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
If you can't see my neighbors, I can't either. They are bears, cougars, bobcat, deer and raccoons.
Bill

That's all? Nothing big, hairy, about 7 feet tall, walks on two legs? You live in an amazing part of the country; Both fish and scenery are beautiful.

Scribbles
08-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Bill, they look great in their new tank. At the rate that they are growing they will fill it up soon. Glad that all went well.

Chris

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Dang, albinos up against a black background look soooooooo good....hmmmm....gives me a few ideas of my own!:D

great work bill ;)

wgtaylor
08-16-2009, 10:38 PM
True Chad , I gotta admit, I am a city boy at heart but you can't beat the smell of open country! There is nothing like it! Must be nice Bill! I envy you for those killer fish and your living environment! ;)
Take care,
Eddie
Hey Eddie, I saw a picture you posted of your jungle country right up to your back door, looked like you have things pretty nice yourself.
Who we all kidding anyway, we spend most of the time with our heads facing our fish tanks, guess we could live anywhere and be happy. :D
Take care buddy,
Bill

Bill, very nicely put together :bandana: love the country myself :antlers: although live in the city. The fish are looking remarkable & that tank will surely fill out the fish with you TLC. Keep up the tramendous job! :D
Regards
Ahmed ;)
Thank you Ahmed, always good to get your nice comments. :)
I have always loved the country life. I have also lived in cities but it's nice to get away.
Take care
Bill

Bill,
Have a great weekend!
Chad Hughes

Hi Chad,
1/2 mile from the beach and a couple miles to town, I love it here. On quiet nights we can sit out on the deck and faintly hear the fog horn blowing at the harbor in town.
Know the fog is coming in for the evening. The drive to town is along Boardman State Park beaches, beautiful drive.
Almost was a neighbor of yours some time ago. Was considering buying 5 acres with a huge aviary overlooking San Diego bay. Would have been nice, good neighbors, great weather huh. :)
The elderly lady that was selling the aviary in San Diego had African Crows she sold to the people that made the Windex commercials with the black and white birds that ran into the glass doors. :D
Don't know if you have seen those commercials, but pretty funny.
Take care,
Bill

Eddie
08-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey Eddie, I saw a picture you posted of your jungle country right up to your back door, looked like you have things pretty nice yourself.
Who we all kidding anyway, we spend most of the time with our heads facing our fish tanks, guess we could live anywhere and be happy. :D
Take care buddy,
Bill

LOL, Ain't that the truth! The only reason I knew it was back there is because I finally looked out the back window. ;)

Take care my friend and if your beauty's start laying eggs, you better bring some fry to the NADA Discus Show so I can bring some back home with me! ;)

Eddie