PDA

View Full Version : sump/overflow/plumbing

johnwe
08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I am working on a new 90 gallon with a 30 long sump tank

I am not positive I will stick with this tank for a sump. I might go a little smaller.

http://shortclip.com/fish/i/tank_plumbing.jpg

Since taking this shot I have plumbed the return. The previous owner of the tank plugged return and bulkhead drain.

I have experimented with pvc plumbing from the BH drain to the sump. This large tube in the photo seems to be the quietest version so far.

The 90 tank was originally reef ready with a corner overflow. One of the prevous owners removed the corner overflow and all plumbing. I bought replacement parts for the plumbing. It's a take on a durso overflow. I have not yet added the corner overflow. I have heard that using plexi on glass will not hold long term. I was thinking of just using a sheet of glass across the corner (making a triangular overflow "box"). In tests so far the durso seems louder than I expected. Also there's a fair amount of bubbles going down into the sump. With the tube shown in the photo submerged in water in the sump the sound is not so bad. And I figure once I get the dividers in the sump the water will overflow out of the "drain" area into the bio area, then into an open area, then to the return area will the pump will sit submerged. I currently and testing with a pump rated for ~295gph. I think the durso is listed to cover close to 600gph

Questions:
1. Will there always be some sound in the durso from air moving?
2. If I add the corner triangle overflow box will that reduce water pressure on the drain and reduce noise both above and below?
3. Is it an option to not add the corner overflow box?
4. Is there an off the shelf box I can choose to get, URL?

I'd like to consider other plumbing issues as I am working this out, like water changes. If I were to get some plumbing in the room where the tank will sit, what's the best way to plumb this set up to drain and refill. I would want to do a manual system, not fully automated. I would prefer to not drill the sump as I have had some bad luck at drilling attempts. I might consider looking for or making an acrylic sump if this would make life easier with WC etc.

I might skip the sump altogether. I am worrying a little about floods. But I would like the extra water volume and to get everything hidden in the sump. I have 2 eheims that will run with the sump.

johnwe
08-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I did some more tests this afternoon with hard plumbing between the bottom of the tank and the sump. I added a ball valve inline with the pvc 1" going into the sump tank while being submerged. I used the ball valve to slow the flow out of the top tank. I turned it down until there were virtually no bubbles, just some micro bubbles. (none of the pvc is glued, it's just stuck together for now)

With the ball vavle about 2/3 open I am assuming that the flow down now matches the flow back up to the top tank.

Is this enough flow for discus? I guess that means it might be about 200gph or perhaps a little less.

http://shortclip.com/fish/i/return.jpg

http://shortclip.com/fish/i/drain.jpg