PDA

View Full Version : tank set up plan.

marktheshark
08-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Hello everyone,

I have an empty tank at the moment which I closed down from being a marine tank a while ago.

It's 260 litres (I think thats 68 US gallons).

By the way I have a discus book by Bernd ????? which is really useful and i've read so much info on Discus online so i'm quite confident in keeping them healthy)

Anyway I have a bit of a plan in place as I'm the sort of person who needs to write things down lol.
If you guys could correct any parts of it or recommend anything else etc. please let me know.

This is for an Amazon themed planted community Discus Aquarium:

-Use my RO unit to fill the tank
-Get my heater (horizontally placed) and my cannister filter hooked up and running with bioballs and sponges in.
-Add any powerheads if neccessary
-Add some liquid Amonnia I have to kick off the nitrogen cycle.
-keep testing PH and nitrates etc.

When cycled:
DAY 1.
-add Dennerle Deponit professsional mix (12Kg) (anything better than this? it looks good.)

- Add plants (I found this deal on ebay, any comments? ) http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Last-Trading-Post__W0QQ_armrsZ1

-add silver sand.

-add mopani bogwood - http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/decoration/natural_decoration/natural_roots/14566

-leave for a week (add ammonia still)

DAY 7:
-make sure ph and ammonia,nitrite and nitrate levels are okay.
-put 6-8 corys in (i like the adolfi ones any experience with these?)

DAY 14:
- add 15 cardinal tetras and 8 purple emporer tetras.

DAY 28:
- add 10 2"-3" discus of assorted strains.

How does this sound?
I don't intend on keeping more than 6 discus in the tank but obviously the fish are more comfortable in larger groups and hopefully I can get some breeding pairs out of the 10 juveniles before selling/trading the weaker ones.

I think most people tend to keep their juveniles in an empty tank for simplicity of cleaning etc.
Am i going about it the wrong way? should I maybe get a 2nd tank for the juveniles and cycle the 2nd tank when I cycle the display tank? this would let me buy the discus earlier, and also keep my display tank less heavily stocked.

I haven't mentioned water changes in my plan but i think that it goes without saying.

Any comments or suggestions are invited please!

Thanks

Mark