PDA

View Full Version : New Project

target
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
After a successful weekend convincing my wife that setting up another tank in our place is a good idea, I have begun planning to stack 2 - 46 gallon bow-front tanks. This requires a new stand to be constructed, something I am looking forward to as I have not done any woodworking in quite a while.

I showed my wife 2 options, both pictured below. Option 1 had the stand open between the tanks, option 2 closed in. We chose option 2. It has a more seamless look and will look more like a piece of furniture.

Before I begin to construct the stand I had a few questions.

1) One of the tanks will be my existing, non-discus community tank, the other becoming a BB discus tank. I am trying to decide which one should go on the top - discus or non-discus?

2) I have planned this out using 2x4's. Would this be strong enough to hold up this amount of water? I am confident it would be, but wouldn't mind hearing it from some others here as well.

3) What would be the best way to secure this to the wall to prevent any chance of it toppling over? I am thinking 4" lag bolts into a stud. But what would be the best way to attach to the stand?

4) Would I have to treat the wood on the inside between the tanks with a water sealer? I am planning to have a glass top on the lower tank, but don't want moisture to become a problem.

5) Does anyone who lives in the greater Vancouver area have a 36" fluorescent light they want to part with, for a reasonable cost? Or, is there somewhere I can buy one for not too much money?

6) I will be building 2 sponge filters for the discus tank and will need some jehmco sponges. Does anyone have some they want to sell, or is anyone interested in going in on an order with me?

This is all I have thought of so far. I am sure there will be more as I go along. Hoping to get out this weekend and maybe begin to collect the pieces I will need for construction. Thanks for any responses. April, as soon as I get this built I will be making my way down to see you. Can't wait!

machine77
08-18-2009, 01:31 PM
hi,
well i dont know what your other tank will be holding and i highly doubt it requires the effert and time that a discus tank needs, wc, feedings ect.. so as far as the placement for your discus tank, pick which will be easier to take care of for you... with frequent water changes and cleanings being the key to a healthy fish. just my 2 cents. hope its of any help to ya! o by the way, it should be a nice set up when its done!
nolan

target
08-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I got started building the stand today. Was good to do some woodworking again. Got the stand framed in, and screwed together. Hoping to get started on the doors next time I can get out to my parents to use the shop. Here what I have so far.;)

scottthomas
08-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice woodworking my friend

Scott

target
08-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Nice woodworking my friend

Scott

Thank you. The doors are going to be the toughest part.

target
09-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I finished construction of the stand yesterday and started painting it. I went with a grey primer all over, and then will be spraying the outside black. Here are some pics of it finished before paint.

rickztahone
09-19-2009, 02:47 PM
looks great. i know it's too late but i think it would have been cool if the stand went all the way so that the top tank looks enclosed as the bottom one does. regardless, it looks great, great woodwork.

oh, and i would go with the discus tank on top for sure because it is the one that will need more maintenance. the discus also prefer to be on higher ground

zamboniMan
10-18-2009, 12:12 PM
looks great. i know it's too late but i think it would have been cool if the stand went all the way so that the top tank looks enclosed as the bottom one does. regardless, it looks great, great woodwork.

oh, and i would go with the discus tank on top for sure because it is the one that will need more maintenance. the discus also prefer to be on higher ground

I agree on all counts. Plus I think it'll be easier to do frequent water changes if the discus tank is on top simply because you'll have more room to work on the tank that way.

You might check ebay for the light fixtures. Normally there are decent referbs on there that are fully functional at a fraction of the cost.

As for the foam I suggest that you order a couple large sheets of foam and cut it to the size you want.

Also if I were you I would go ahead and waterproof the whole stand.

Looks Awesome though very nice job with the wood working! :D

target
10-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have found a light and have finished the stand. It is now attached to my wall and has my non-discus community tank in the lower area. I am waiting for the second tank to come in before I post pictures. Hopefully this week it will be in as I have been waiting for 3 weeks already.

target
11-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Here is the finished product, now with discus as I was able to pick mine up today from April. Lower tank is my existing non-discus community tank, top tank is the discus. Hope you like it.

Eddie
11-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Very nice and clean, looks sharp. Like the DIY filters and the little anchors you got holding down the airline/airstones. ;) In a few days them discus should be settled in, and LOVING life.

All the best,

Eddie

rickztahone
11-08-2009, 02:31 AM
wow those are some huge fish you have in the bottom tank

target
11-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Very nice and clean, looks sharp. Like the DIY filters and the little anchors you got holding down the airline/airstones. ;) In a few days them discus should be settled in, and LOVING life.

All the best,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, the DIY filter idea came from the posts by Dan at GulfCoastDiscus and the anchors for the airlines are from the air curtain in the lower tank.

wow those are some huge fish you have in the bottom tank

Thanks, the biggest are the Tinfoil Barbs, they are about 9" long and around 7-8 years old. The pleco is close to 12" and around 12 years old. He has been with me for a very long time. Eats off the surface now as well. A little lazy in his old age, but still does a good job.

marlon010
11-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Great Job Dan...you can always fall back on carpentry in these tough economic times huh? hahaha

target
11-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Great Job Dan...you can always fall back on carpentry in these tough economic times huh? hahaha

I would love to built more stands. It was so much fun for me. I want to try and turn it into a business so if anyone needs either help building a custom stand or help drawing one up, let me know. We can work something out.

pinkjello
11-18-2009, 02:30 AM
thats a great idea!!

Also, just thought i would mention this, there is lack of people out there that can build horse tack lockers. I went searching for weeks looking for someone who could make one and couldnt find anyone in the lower mainland except for the fathers or uncles etc of the girls at the barn where we are at. Carpentry skills are great to have!

Ill keep you in mind if i hear of anyone needing anything :D

target
11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks Gweneth, that would be appreciated.