PDA

View Full Version : Week 13

wgtaylor
08-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Well week 13 is here and my contest discus are still growing and doing well.
Been busy the last few weeks so this weekly post will have to be short.
All the water parameters have remained the same and foods I feed have not changed
Last week I moved the discus to a larger tank from a 55 gallon to their now 80 gallon.
For growout I have always it's best to have 10 gallons per discus so the 55 gallon only
had 9 gallons and the 80 now has 13 gallons per discus. Should at least give them a
little more room when they start getting territorial as they mature.

When the discus were about 3" I took a picture and traced one in photoshop and
saved it as a vector file so I could scale it to any size I wanted. This is the 4 1/2 inch
and the 5". Pretty good difference in sizes.
I also used it to create a avatar and decided to use it again to give some motivational
target for us to shoot for. Everyone is doing so well somebody may end up with a 8" discus. :)
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/Discuscutouts.jpg

This week I put a 4 1/2" and a 5" discus cutout to try to show their size.
Funny in this picture all the smaller ones lined up behind the smaller cutout and
the larger ones behind the largest cutout. Maybe they know their place.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/Week13Size.jpg

And a video if you have the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhaosY46KXQ

Bill

Eddie
08-18-2009, 06:12 PM
That is such a cool picture Bill....they do know their place. How long were you sitting there trying to coral them into their areas! LOL That had to be priceless to see. :D

Fish are looking fabulous my friend! The weeks are going by QUICK!

Take care,

Eddie

Scribbles
08-18-2009, 10:10 PM
How long did it take to train them to line up behind their designated cut out? LOL They are looking wonderful and I love the new tank.

Chris

Chad Hughes
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Great job Bill! The fish look great and the art word is outstanding! ;)

Well done!

wgtaylor
08-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Great job Bill! The fish look great and the art word is outstanding! ;)
Well done!
Thanks Chad,
Just trying to keep up with your high standards.
Bill

How long did it take to train them to line up behind their designated cut out? LOL They are looking wonderful and I love the new tank.
Chris
Hi Chris,
Purely an accident getting them to line up. Just quick pictures. Thank you for the kind words.
Bill

That is such a cool picture Bill....they do know their place. How long were you sitting there trying to coral them into their areas! LOL That had to be priceless to see. :D
Fish are looking fabulous my friend! The weeks are going by QUICK!
Take care,
Eddie
Thanks Eddie
Been busy the last few weeks and snapped a dozen pictures this morning. When going to post I found that arrangement, got a chuckle out of it.
BTW my friend, I will not be able to get to the show this year. It is regrettable not being able to meet all of you but can't help it. Hope next year won't be as busy.
Take care,
Bill

calihawker
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
My kids love your cutouts!:D I think there are some marketing possibilities there Bill.;)

wgtaylor
08-20-2009, 12:20 AM
My kids love your cutouts!:D I think there are some marketing possibilities there Bill.;)

Hey, thanks Steve, pm me your address, I'll send you one of each size to tape on one of your next posts if you like. More than happy to make the kids happy. :)
Of course Nacho is going to make those cutouts look tiny. :D
Same offer goes to any of the other contestants. Could be an easy way for us to compare sizes without having to measure until the end of the contest.
We will all have to thank mmorris for the idea.
Take care,
Bill

Eddie
08-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Thanks Eddie
Been busy the last few weeks and snapped a dozen pictures this morning. When going to post I found that arrangement, got a chuckle out of it.
BTW my friend, I will not be able to get to the show this year. It is regrettable not being able to meet all of you but can't help it. Hope next year won't be as busy.
Take care,
Bill

Really Bill! Hey, its still a long ways away so if anything falls through with your plans, hope you'll reconsider the trip out!

Take care my friend,

Eddie