PDA

View Full Version : Overflow or no Overflow?

SheTankerDiscusChick
08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Howdy,
Im ordering a 75 gallon for my discus honeys.....

Overflow or no overflow? sumps or no sumps?

Chad Hughes
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I say overflows and sumps! ;)

lkevin
08-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with Chad. Once you go that route you will never go back...

SheTankerDiscusChick
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
What are the benefits?

tcyiu
08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
I agree with Chad. Once you go that route you will never go back...

Unfortunately, but I went back to a canister.

After mucking around with the wetdry for about 1/2 year, I just recently took it apart and replaced with a canister filter.

The problems started with my brand new pump being too loud. (The hum could be felt in half the house). Perhaps I was just unlucky in getting a bad unit. Then, there's the water running sounds which I managed to tame somewhat. There was no sound at the tank, but the splashing onto the drip plate was pretty loud. Then the last straw was the significant increase in electricity because the wetdry trickle filter evaporates A LOT of water. The heater was constantly on. (The sump was insulated with foam on 5 sides. The top has plumbing and I need access, so this was not insulated. But unfortunately, the top is also the side with the most heat loss).

So I dismantled the whole thing.

On the plus side, I loved that the tank itself is really calm. Because the wetdry aerates the water really well, NO surface turbulence or air bubbles are needed. PLUS there was the cool factor of having a wetdry filter.

Anyways, just one guy's experience.

Tim

Daniella
08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Very interesting reading. I was wondering if I would go the same route but I think I will keep my 2 canister with spray bars and my air bubble wand.

Both are completely silent.

Unfortunately, but I went back to a canister.

After mucking around with the wetdry for about 1/2 year, I just recently took it apart and replaced with a canister filter.

The problems started with my brand new pump being too loud. (The hum could be felt in half the house). Perhaps I was just unlucky in getting a bad unit. Then, there's the water running sounds which I managed to tame somewhat. There was no sound at the tank, but the splashing onto the drip plate was pretty loud. Then the last straw was the significant increase in electricity because the wetdry trickle filter evaporates A LOT of water. The heater was constantly on. (The sump was insulated with foam on 5 sides. The top has plumbing and I need access, so this was not insulated. But unfortunately, the top is also the side with the most heat loss).

So I dismantled the whole thing.

On the plus side, I loved that the tank itself is really calm. Because the wetdry aerates the water really well, NO surface turbulence or air bubbles are needed. PLUS there was the cool factor of having a wetdry filter.

Anyways, just one guy's experience.

Tim

David Rose
08-21-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm setting a tank with two Megaflow overflows and a sump to start with on my 140G and am planning to add a canister later. I'm crossing my fingers on the noise factor given this is my first experiment with the wet/dry and overflow system. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck with your set up!

SheTankerDiscusChick
08-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the luck! Great advice!

Im a rooky, forgive me....

So, overflow with a canister filter and a bubble wand?

What filter media?

Vieira
08-21-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm doing both with my 180. I have overflows and I want to add canister with a spraybar I think I'm going to use a oceanclear.

David Rose
08-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm setting a tank with two Megaflow overflows and a sump to start with on my 140G and am planning to add a canister later. I'm crossing my fingers on the noise factor given this is my first experiment with the wet/dry and overflow system. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck with your set up!

Given I will be using a sump and canister combo, the sump will provide plenty of oxygen, so no bubble wand is needed such as when you use two canisters.

Everyone has their preferences, but I will use a prefilter sponge either on my overflow drain or before the sump. The sump will have a filter pad above the drip plate over the bioballs. I'm planning on an Eheim 2080 or 2180 canister using the Eheim Pro substrate that are mini quartz balls for biological as well.

I hope this helps.

Apistomaster
08-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I always use a wet/dry filter as my primary filter on my large planted Discus tanks plus a supplemental canister filter; Eheim Classic #2217 is my personal favorite. It is a good value for how well it filters. Discus do extremely well when kept in a tank equipped with a wet/dry filter.
Some of the larger, more complex and expensive Eheims are a bit much to me.

If I were keeping a planted show tank with small fish I might prefer a couple of canister filters and clean them on an alternating schedule so there would never be any interruption in the nitrogen cycle. Sometimes there can be problems with loosing small fish and shrimp down the drain of an over flow. I have a thriving colony of Cherry Shrimp living in my sump.
I always use some type of prefilter on the inlet of any power filter but this is not very practical with wet/dry filter over Flow siphons

I like MagDrive water pumps. They are very quiet. I use MagDrive 9.5, 950 gph pumps on my 2 planted tanks, a 75 gal and a 125 gal.
I have another MagDrive 9.5 I use to pump RO water from my 2-55 gal RO water storage barrels and it is able to pump enough water through 50 ft of 1/2" RV hose to the top row of my 40 gal breeder tanks. Their tops are 6'-11" off the floor.
I also have a MagDrive 5 I use for a variety of purposes. It is hand for transferring aged water from one tank to another when I don't have time to start new.

SheTankerDiscusChick
08-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Thank you all so very much.

Bad news: I had a look a few sump systems, and it seems way too complicated for a beginner....So I'm canceling plans for a sump.

Question: Do you think a canister filter(max gph 450), with an in-tank sponge filter (7.0 psi up to 90 gallons) Good enough?

Good news: I decided to upgrade to a 90 gallon instead! woohoo :D This tank will not be planted, bare bottom, artificial wood, and contain 11 juvenile Discus, and 4 plecos.

Question: Any equipment recommendations or general comments on setting up a new 90 gallon?

Thanks Again :)

David Rose
08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Thank you all so very much.

Bad news: I had a look a few sump systems, and it seems way too complicated for a beginner....So I'm canceling plans for a sump.

Question: Do you think a canister filter(max gph 450), with an in-tank sponge filter (7.0 psi up to 90 gallons) Good enough?

Good news: I decided to upgrade to a 90 gallon instead! woohoo :D This tank will not be planted, bare bottom, artificial wood, and contain 11 juvenile Discus, and 4 plecos.

Question: Any equipment recommendations or general comments on setting up a new 90 gallon?

Thanks Again :)

I don't blame you for not wanting to set up a sump at this time. It can be challenging with getting all the equipment to work together if adapters are needed and the more connections, the more chances that leaks can also happen.

IMO, a canister rated 450gph (can mean before media is added) is typical of the better canisters and will cycle your tank 5x/hr by itself, but you definitely need more than that to maintain good water quality, again IMO.

I'd be careful of the brand and would read up on buyers comments and ask others who have used it for a year or more if possible. Fluval FX5 and the Eheim series come highly recommended for examples. My preference is the Eheim brand based on product reviews and user feedback and my final decision was due to their reported longevity over their Fluval competition, but that was just an internet report and not an actual user having tried both.

I’m not familiar with using tank sponges to help you with rating a 7.0 psi up to 90gal . Hopefully, someone with experience with these can comment.

Wish I could be more help. Best of luck!

SheTankerDiscusChick
09-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Ok dudes, a lil update....

I started off with a Rena XP4 FilStar Canister Filter...after a month during my cycling, it broke down! :mad: Well, you can imagine the labor involved in setting it up, tearing it down, then setting another up again.
I'm a ferm believer in "things happen for a reason", so I'm mighty happy no Discus were involved, or casualties for that matter.

Now, I'm using Eheim Pro III & loving it! You get much better quality for your money. Much easier to handle, and 2 intakes vs 1! I'm happy and now my babies are happy. Thanks for all your advice! :D