PDA

View Full Version : 20g for 24+ hours?

fishorama
08-24-2009, 07:44 PM
This week I'm having an eletrician in to add some outlets etc & will need to move my 10 new 2 inch discus for 24-48 hours. It would simplify things immensly if they could go in a 20g long during that time. Is that ok? I could use their same filter except when the power is off.

rickztahone
08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
This week I'm having an eletrician in to add some outlets etc & will need to move my 10 new 2 inch discus for 24-48 hours. It would simplify things immensly if they could go in a 20g long during that time. Is that ok? I could use their same filter except when the power is off.
how long will the power be off? i honestly dont see a problem if its just 24hrs. as long as you use some new water with the established filter

Disgirl
08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Should be OK for a short time. Feed lightly, keep good filtration going and be sure their water is the same as the big tank. And do a 50% water change each day. They will do fine.
Barb:)

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Go buy a bait bucket aerator and use it for the tank. It's battery operated and is relatively cheap. It'll keep your fish going as long as the batteries last. Might be able to find it at Walmart too.

-Ryan

bs6749
08-24-2009, 08:29 PM
I'd slowly creep the temperature up 6 degrees higher than normal before the power goes off. If the power is only out for 20 hours then the tank won't get that cold. I don't think your filter will be impacted by the outage. A battery powered air pump would be nice too.

Discus-Hans
08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
No problem, we do that at shows all the time, we use fresh tap water + dechlor, no heaters, only an airstone for +/- 3 days, a bit lower temp. won't kill them for a short time.

Ryan's air stone is a good idea.

Hans

fishorama
08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Good ideas thanks. the electrician will only be here a max of 6-7 hours he said, probably all the power won't be off all that time. It's that I can't move a 55g by myself & the new outlets are near/under fish tanks & furniture. He's doing other stuff too.

I'm out of places to temporarily move things to allow access, but he said he'd fix the 1 where the 20 can reach first, it's just replace a 2 prong outlet with a 3. Small house with too much stuff.

Discus-Hans
08-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Don't make your outlet UNDER your tank, tank crack now and than (hope for you NEVER) see if he can make that one a little higher,

Hans

Jhhnn
08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Good idea wrt the aeration, and it won't hurt to throw a heavy blanket or comforter over the temporary tank to hold in the heat while the power is off...

Discus-Hans
08-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Good idea wrt the aeration, and it won't hurt to throw a heavy blanket or comforter over the temporary tank to hold in the heat while the power is off...

I don't know how the temp. is at the moment in Massachusetts, but I think, if I look at Baltimore at the moment, in my fish house the airco is running 24/7 to keep the temp down at 86. Think heat is the LAST to worry about lol lol

Hans

mmorris
08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm in Mass. too, and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. :)
Martha

fishorama
08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty limited where things can go, window, doors, radiators, plumbing etc are everywhere. I'll look for an battery aerator. Covering them might be good to keep them from seeing scary people too.

Martha, thanks for the kind offer. I'm in Westborough BTW

Nancy

fishorama
08-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Whew, it went much better than I could have imagined. The power was only off on the discus tank for 15 minutes at most. Most tanks weren't off even that long. The round fish seem unphased by their temporary move, they were begging within 20 minutes in the small tank. I didn't even open the walmart aerator but I'm glad to have it.

Let the tank rearranging begin!...what's the plan again :juggle:

mmorris
08-28-2009, 07:54 PM
LOL Whew!

Scribbles
08-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Glad to hear that all went well.

Chris