PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on plans for installing a 9W UV Sterlizer and a CO2 system

HHaley
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I have a 90G planted Discus aquarium with a Eheim 2078e main filter.

I am soliciting feedback on my plans for installing a CO2 system with an AquaMedic 1000 CO2 reactor and a 9W Coralife Turbo Twist UV sterilizer driven by a canister filter.

I’ve been told by Eheim not to install anything in the return path of the 2078 filter because the filter monitors the flow rate and self-adjusts the pump ensuring a constant output as the filter becomes dirty. Adding accessories in the return path would interfere with the monitoring of the flowrate by the electronics.

I would like to use another Eheim canister filter followed by the UV sterilizer and finally the CO2 Reactor before water is returned to the tank. I want to use a filter instead of a pump because I plan on using Sera peat pellets in the filter to soften the water.

I plan on installing all three components underneath inside my cabinet instead of hanging on the back of the aquarium.

Both the UV sterilizer and CO2 reactor specify a flow rate of approximately 100 gallons per hour with a maximum of close to 200.

I would like feedback on this entire idea. Specifically I was wondering what size filter I would need and would I have problems making connecting the pump, sterilizer and reactor because of possible different size hose connections. I’m concerned about the flowrate of the 9W sterilizer possible restricting the flowrate of the overall system. Should I use the 18W version that has a higher flowrate. Perhaps a lower flowrate would be preferable because it would give the sterilizer more time to treat the water passing through it. I have the same concerns about the impact the sterilizer would have on flowrate of the CO2 reactor. I don’t know enough about flowrate requirements of the reactor to know I would have a problem.

Any feedback would be appreciated.