PDA

View Full Version : Week 14, Water Change #14 = 5.4" Discus!!

Chad Hughes
09-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Hello all!

Sorry to have missed last weeks update.

Todays water change was rather uneventful. Everything is right on track, no issues to report and these guys are looking HUGE in a 110 gallon tank. I can remember when they looked so tiny in this tank. LOL!

Anyway, I promised myself that I wouldn't measure any of the fish again until the end of the contest, but I couldn't resist. I was eyeballing them tonight and swore that the largest looking discus was around 6". Well, I pulled him, measured, and it looks like he's at about 5.4". As they get bigger, they are very difficult to keep still. Close but no cigar on my calibrated eye. LOL! I wouldn't be a good "guess my weight" carnie! LOL!

That's about a full 1" of growth since the last measurement. I'm pretty happy with that. I didn't take any tank shots. They would look about the same as the last update. I have attached a picture of tonight's measurement.

Best wishes!

rickscics
09-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Beautiful Chad! I love your approach to raising Discus.

Lytehouse
09-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Beautiful HUGE fish.

Great new thinking on raising Discus.

Chad Hughes
09-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Beautiful Chad! I love your approach to raising Discus.

Beautiful HUGE fish.

Great new thinking on raising Discus.

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate that!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
09-02-2009, 12:13 AM
your tiny little ones have now gotten close to the size of MY discus. you are definitely doing something right Chad. keep up the great work buddy

Eddie
09-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Chad, you are definitely making some amazing results! Keep it up!

Eddie

Chad Hughes
09-02-2009, 12:51 AM
your tiny little ones have now gotten close to the size of MY discus. you are definitely doing something right Chad. keep up the great work buddy

Chad, you are definitely making some amazing results! Keep it up!

Eddie

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the kind words of encouragement!

Best wishes!

Scribbles
09-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Seems like these discus are averaging almost an inch a month. Incredible! It's the ultimate complimant to your good care.

Chris

DiscusKev
09-02-2009, 02:34 AM
Good job, its looking great.

acroken
09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Chad,
He is beautiful.Incredible growth. I love what you are doing with these guys. Very impressive results.

Kenny

David Rose
09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
You should be proud of all your hard work and dedication! It's really paying off and is inspiring to see your success.

Best,

wgtaylor
09-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I think you will need 12" calipers soon. :D
Great job Chad.

Bill

Chad Hughes
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Seems like these discus are averaging almost an inch a month. Incredible! It's the ultimate complimant to your good care.

Chris

Thanks so much Chris! I can't say that I've done anything super special. These guys are big eaters and fast growers! LOL!

Good job, its looking great.

Thanks DiscusKev!

Chad,
He is beautiful.Incredible growth. I love what you are doing with these guys. Very impressive results.

Kenny

Thanks Kenny!

You should be proud of all your hard work and dedication! It's really paying off and is inspiring to see your success.

Best,

Thanks David!

I think you will need 12" calipers soon. :D
Great job Chad.

Bill

Thanks so much Bill! I thought the same myself when I opened up the calipers to take this measurement. The caliper is only 6". If this keps up, I'll definately need a biger set for final measurement! LOL!

Best wishes!

calihawker
09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Awesome job Chad! I was real tempted to pull one out as well the other day. I think I will do a measurement next month and probably once more before the end.
Keep up the good work my friend!

kirkp
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Chad, that is one stud of a fish. Fantastic job!

Kirk

Chad Hughes
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys!

When is this contest over again? LOL!

I'll likely measure again before the end as well.

Best wishes!

wadewc
09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Chad, That is a beautiful fish. Great job.

Wade

Chad Hughes
09-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks Wade! I appreciate the compliment!

Best wishes!

Disgirl
09-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Chad, looks like folks may have to rethink raising juvies in a bare tank! Some sand and some plants sure are working for you, plus your good filtration. Is that Nacho? He looks like cheese!
Barb :D

Chad Hughes
09-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey Barb!

Thank you for the kind words. What I find simple may be a challenge for others. That being said, I didn't develop this method of keeping discus overnight. LOL! I would never say that this method is better than another, since others work just as well. A perfect example of that is this contest. Although my way is at the other end of the spectrum, the others are having the same results. I guess it all boils down to what you are comfortable with.

Anyway, there is no winner yet! There's some pretty stiff competition out there. At this point it's anyone's guess. LOL!

Have a great holiday weekend!

Best wishes.

Disgirl
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Hey Barb!

Thank you for the kind words. What I find simple may be a challenge for others. That being said, I didn't develop this method of keeping discus overnight. LOL! I would never say that this method is better than another, since others work just as well. A perfect example of that is this contest. Although my way is at the other end of the spectrum, the others are having the same results. I guess it all boils down to what you are comfortable with.

Anyway, there is no winner yet! There's some pretty stiff competition out there. At this point it's anyone's guess. LOL!

Have a great holiday weekend!

Best wishes.
Yes, you are right, lots of different ways to go about it. I sure am glad I won't be a judge though. All the contest fish are looking so large and beautiful! Who does the judging? This is new to me.
Barb

Chad Hughes
09-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, you are right, lots of different ways to go about it. I sure am glad I won't be a judge though. All the contest fish are looking so large and beautiful! Who does the judging? This is new to me.
Barb

Barb,

Agreed. I have no idea how they are going to go about it. I'm glad I'm not a judge either! LOL!

Best wishes!