PDA

View Full Version : quarantine tank medication question

neupane00
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
hey.. quick question. finally i learned the important of medication on quarantine tank. now the question is what should i medicate fish with in qt tank before adding to display tank.
i know ppl say dont treat with medication if no sign of disease but i learned some hard lesson that even though my cardinals didnt show ANY sign of disease for 2-3 weeks in separate tank, when i moved them to my 70 gallon Discus tank, discus became sick. apparently they had parasite that they could handle but discus couldnt. i am treating whole 70 gallon with prasite clear and maracyn pls. finally discus getting color back.
okay, so back to the question. in my qt tank what should i treat the fish with before adding to main tank. ? is parasite clear and maracyn plus (or maracyn 2) is enough? that would cover parasite and fungus right?? what about ick? i dont think either parasite clear or maracyn plus cures ick.. should i use yet another thrid medication for ick? can all of those be used at one time? thanks a lot.

Eddie
09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I feel your pain my friend, like seriously feel your pain. I will always treat fish for external parasites no matter who they come from. Antibiotics are better used when required. I would not advise the use of any antibiotic unless it is warranted.

How you go about taking care of externals can be a number of different ways. Parasite Clear has way to many unnecessary meds in it. Best to use something that is spefically for external parasites. I use Formalin & Malchite Green (Quick Cure) others use Potassium Permanganate. I will soon be going to PP as a mainstay. ;)

Eddie

csarkar001
09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Eddie:

why u moving away from FMG as a prophilatic?

Chandan

neupane00
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Okay so this kinda "preventive treatment" with quick cure.. How Long and how Many treatments do u do? Just 1 dose?

seanyuki
09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Just sharing....

QUICK CURE
*Quick Cure (4 oz. Treats 2,000 gallons)- $3.99

*Quick Cure (.75 oz Treats 360 gallons) - $1.99

*Quick Cure 32 oz. has been discontinued by the manufacturer
(Please scroll to the bottom to purchase all products)

Effectively treats:
• Ich
• Velvet
• Gasping for Air
• Flicking against Rocks
• Protozoan Parasites
• Mild Fluke outbreaks
• Costia
• Chilodonella
• Trichodina

INGREDIENTS:
Malachite Green, Formalin

More Information for Quick Cure:

Directions; Shake well before using. Remove and discard all carbon from filter, but DO NOT discontinue filtration. Typically cures ich in 24 hours, treatment can be repeated in 24-48 hours, if necessary. If fish experience stress, change 50% of the water. Sometimes treatment will take 10 days to fully irradiate infestations. Replace carbon 2 hours after treatment. Quick Cure will temporarily change water color to blue.

Dosing Chart:
1 ml treats 18 gallons (68 liters)
I teaspoon treats 90 gallons (340 liters)
1 capful treats 250 gallons (950 liters)
1 fluid oz. Treats 500 gallons (1900 liters)

For Tetras or other delicate fish such as loaches, treat half dose.

http://www.aq-products.com/APpro/quickcure.htm

Okay so this kinda "preventive treatment" with quick cure.. How Long and how Many treatments do u do? Just 1 dose?

Sheldon Goldstien
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Just sharing....

QUICK CURE
*Quick Cure (4 oz. Treats 2,000 gallons)- $3.99

*Quick Cure (.75 oz Treats 360 gallons) - $1.99

*Quick Cure 32 oz. has been discontinued by the manufacturer
(Please scroll to the bottom to purchase all products)

Effectively treats:
• Ich
• Velvet
• Gasping for Air
• Flicking against Rocks
• Protozoan Parasites
• Mild Fluke outbreaks
• Costia
• Chilodonella
• Trichodina

INGREDIENTS:
Malachite Green, Formalin

More Information for Quick Cure:

Directions; Shake well before using. Remove and discard all carbon from filter, but DO NOT discontinue filtration. Typically cures ich in 24 hours, treatment can be repeated in 24-48 hours, if necessary. If fish experience stress, change 50% of the water. Sometimes treatment will take 10 days to fully irradiate infestations. Replace carbon 2 hours after treatment. Quick Cure will temporarily change water color to blue.

Dosing Chart:
1 ml treats 18 gallons (68 liters)
I teaspoon treats 90 gallons (340 liters)
1 capful treats 250 gallons (950 liters)
1 fluid oz. Treats 500 gallons (1900 liters)

For Tetras or other delicate fish such as loaches, treat half dose.

http://www.aq-products.com/APpro/quickcure.htm

I knew a Chinese Wholesaler who used it for everything. It must have good results. Again just my way..I like Nitrofurazone. !4 day bath for new fish. Even Triple sulfa with acraflavin. I like to use antibiotics with dyes.

Sheldon

seanyuki
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
In my case....I usually give the new fish a PP bath for 4 hours and later treat them with either Furan 2 or Maracyn Two......perhaps others could chime in.

hedut
09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
In my case....I usually give the new fish a PP bath for 4 hours and later treat them with either Furan 2 or Maracyn Two......perhaps others could chime in.

How many days you give them Foran 2 or Maracyn 2?

seanyuki
09-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I give them 4 treatments over 10 days period..........plus 14 days clean water & salt in the QT tank.

How many days you give them Foran 2 or Maracyn 2?

hedut
09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I give them 4 treatments over 10 days period..........plus 14 days clean water & salt in the QT tank.

Can you tell me the detail how:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks

Eddie
09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Eddie:

why u moving away from FMG as a prophilatic?

Chandan

Hey there Chandan, its more of a personal choice and I heard from some friends that PP was the standard for treatment and prevention. Plus I found a place that will ship me several pounds of it. :D

Eddie

yim11
09-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Got this from a ShinShin post a while back:

using the Maria Cruz "Triple Dip Method":

Fill three containers, like 5 gal pails or clean, empty 5-10 gal tanks. Provide air to them. In the first pail add formalin @ 2mls/5gals. This is about 100ppm, which is about the maximum dosage you want to do. Next pail add enough methylene blue to really darken the water. Third pail, add 1 tbs/gal salt. Place fish in pail one for 15 minutes, then pail 2 for 15 minutes, then pail three for 15 minutes. During treatment time, disinfect the QT tank, add fresh water with neomyacin sulfate. Immediately after lifting fish from salted pail place directly into the cleaned tank. Treat with the antibiotic as directed. A formalin/malachite green product should be added to the tank as well with the antibiotic.

Figure if they live through that they gotta be a clean as they ever will be! ;)

HTHs,
-jim

seanyuki
09-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks Jim for sharing.....quite a good method too.

HTHs,
-jim

Eddie
09-02-2009, 09:19 PM

HTHs,
-jim

Actually Jim, I have been using Mats method for transferring fish between tanks since my breakouts. Good method! ;)

Eddie

Islesfan
09-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Just curious...would there be a problem using a FMG product and antibiotic like Furan2 together if ever needed or is it best to use one after the other. just wondering.

Mike

Eddie
09-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Just curious...would there be a problem using a FMG product and antibiotic like Furan2 together if ever needed or is it best to use one after the other. just wondering.

Mike

Yes, Formalin will work against Antibiotics. Best to run the F&MG treatment first, knock out those externals and then follow through with an antibiotic only if needed. Lots of people using antibiotics when it isn't needed, renders it useless for when you actually do need it. ;)

Eddie

Islesfan
09-05-2009, 10:29 PM
thanks Eddie

Eddie
09-05-2009, 10:31 PM
thanks Eddie

Any time ;)

Eddie