PDA

View Full Version : what ick ich medication is effective, safe on plant and doesnt stain silicone?

neupane00
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
hey guys, what ick/ich medication is effective, safe on plants and doesnt stain silicone or any other stuff in an aquarium?

Harriett
09-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I am currently treating for ICk in my planted tank--went out of town for a week, heater died, temp was 74....came home, one guy had a good case going.
I researched a bit and decided to use FMG [Quick Cure]--works well for ICK and at least one experienced plant aquarist here [Wahter] had posted that he used it in a planted tank and it went ok.
I just fiinished day 3. Lights out, turned off the CO2, no ferts, the plants are fine and the fish is looking better. Remember that formulin significantly decreases available O2 in the tank, so get some powerheads/bubblers going...I just raised a spray bar 3" above the water line so there is a cascading waterfall into the tank [noisy!] and it is working well.
Caveat: tetras and non scaled fish like clown loaches are more sensitive and they say to dose 1drop per 2 gallons for those.
Best regards,
Harriett

[I am doing 1 drop/gal per day, and 50% water changes before the next dose. 3 days of treatment, a day off to rest, repeat. Reassess. It will cause a bit of damage to the filters but those should rebound if it's an established tank....I've never used formulin in a planted tank before, so grateful it so far has been ok on the plants.]

Best regards,
Harriett