PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation:Tank divider

Jorge
09-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Hello everyone,

Can somebody recommend me a good tank divider for a 55g tank (with its "normal" hood)?a

What will be a good place to buy it (online)?

csarkar001
09-17-2009, 02:34 PM
i cut egg crate (from home depot) to size and attach with suction cups. this is a better option than buying the penn plax dividers which are flimsy.

chandan

poconogal
09-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I've got the egg crate too. Its actually light diffuser for lights in a dropped ceiling, and it was next to the lighting section in my Home Depot. Paid $11.95 for 2x4 sheet. Just cut to size, place it in the tank and put a suction cup on either side of it on both the front and back tank walls. Much better than those commercial tank dividers too because it allows good waterflow throughout the tank.

jeff@zina.com
09-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I think everyone does the egg crate. Another option is to pick up some vinyl tubing about the same size as the egg crate thickness (1/2"?) and slit it to fit the edges of the egg crate. The tubing holds better against the glass.

Jeff

poconogal
09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
That's a good idea, too, Jeff. Thanks for that.

csarkar001
09-18-2009, 09:52 AM
interesting indea on the vinyl tubing.

kirkp
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
What I've done is cut the eggcrate to size then wedge a couple pieces of airline tubing between the edge of the divider and the glass. Used this method on a 55, 75, and 180 without any problems.

Kirk

Jason
11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
use poret foam

Chocice
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I tried several ways, and this is the best. :D

i cut egg crate (from home depot) to size and attach with suction cups. this is a better option than buying the penn plax dividers which are flimsy.

chandan

Cakes
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
ok here's a curveball. How do you clean your eggcrate? I find it to be a real pita. I hate it so much I might just buy a pressure washer.

kirkp
12-11-2009, 02:51 PM
ok here's a curveball. How do you clean your eggcrate? I find it to be a real pita. I hate it so much I might just buy a pressure washer.

I don't really worry about it too much since it's not in a display tank. And yes, I think it would be a PITA. I have had some smaller bristle nose plecs that worked at some of the algae. If I was really concerned, I'd probably take it to the car wash.

Cakes
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't really worry about it too much since it's not in a display tank. And yes, I think it would be a PITA. I have had some smaller bristle nose plecs that worked at some of the algae. If I was really concerned, I'd probably take it to the car wash.

car wash is a great idea, thank you.

Eddie
12-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Poret really is the best. Contact Hans

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/pair/Poret%20Foam/IMG_2952.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/pair/Poret%20Foam/IMG_2953.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/pair/Poret%20Foam/IMG_2954.jpg

hedut
12-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Up contact Hans, that good for breeding too. They come blue and green

Discus-Hans
12-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Eddie my friend, make a stand pipe 1/2" with an elbow and a short piece of pipe, make a hole as big as an airline half way the stand pipe. Put a knife trough the foam at the top and stick the short end pipe trough the foam.
Put the air line from your sponge filter in the pipe and you use the divider as filter too.
And you can take the sponge filter out,

Hans

rickztahone
12-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Eddie my friend, make a stand pipe 1/2" with an elbow and a short piece of pipe, make a hole as big as an airline half way the stand pipe. Put a knife trough the foam at the top and stick the short end pipe trough the foam.
Put the air line from your sponge filter in the pipe and you use the divider as filter too.
And you can take the sponge filter out,

Hans

i'm having a hard time visualizing this Hans, do you have a pic

Discus-Hans
12-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Here is a link to my friend Stephan's home page.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam.html

Those pictures will help I think,

Hans

rickztahone
12-13-2009, 03:34 AM
Here is a link to my friend Stephan's home page.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam.html

Those pictures will help I think,

Hans

very nice! pictures are so much better. that is very ingenious to be quite honest. that would be my first choice for a divider, but breeding is not in my future. i might need it if i have aggressive discus but for now they are all pretty peaceful.

nlintgen
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I've got the egg crate too. Its actually light diffuser for lights in a dropped ceiling, and it was next to the lighting section in my Home Depot. Paid $11.95 for 2x4 sheet. Just cut to size, place it in the tank and put a suction cup on either side of it on both the front and back tank walls. Much better than those commercial tank dividers too because it allows good waterflow throughout the tank.

I also used the egg crate when I needed a divider, but I ended up using a strip of blue bonded filter pad to better seal the divider against the glass... my isolated juvie would get excited that his other juvie "friends" are on the other side of the divider and try to squeeze between the egg crate and glass! In the end, I only had the divider in there for 1.5 days before I took it back out since the solo discus seemed more stressed out from not being with the others than he was from getting picked on. I think everyone in the tank realized that if they started really picking on someone again the divider would come back... they've all been well behaved since! :)

Darrell Ward
12-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I've seen this foam, it looks great. I might have to get some.

kirkp
12-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the link Hans. I've always wondered what a HMF filter was and now I know. I was wondering about something related to using it for a filter. When you stick the PVC into the filter, you get a fairly limited are where it draws water in from. I would guess that as the filter in that area gets plugged, water is drawn in from farther away. Do you think it would work to drill a series of holes along the length of PVC before you inserted it?

Kirk

Eddie
12-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the link Hans. I've always wondered what a HMF filter was and now I know. I was wondering about something related to using it for a filter. When you stick the PVC into the filter, you get a fairly limited are where it draws water in from. I would guess that as the filter in that area gets plugged, water is drawn in from farther away. Do you think it would work to drill a series of holes along the length of PVC before you inserted it?

Kirk

I was wondering this myself and have been thinking of alternative ways to get the entire sponge used.

Eddie

Darrell Ward
12-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Maybe one could use several small powerheads behind the foam instead of the tube, depending on the size of the tank of course.

Eddie
12-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Maybe one could use several small powerheads behind the foam instead of the tube, depending on the size of the tank of course.

Thats definitely an option, I was thinking on those lines also. I have a few internal filters with spray bar attachments that can basically reach over the sponge to allow the output onto the other side. Also thought of using an udergravel filter plate on one side, just turned sideways. :o

Eddie

Discus-Hans
12-18-2009, 09:15 PM
You guys think to hard and deep, if you stick it in the foam, believe me, it's okay.

If you want to use a power head, great, all you've to do is transport the water from one side to the other. The pipe in the foam is the best way to go if you've fry on both sides,

Hans

Eddie
12-19-2009, 04:10 AM
The pipe in the foam is the best way to go if you've fry on both sides,

Hans

Yeah Hans, but I aint up to that point yet. Still need more fry! LOL :D

Discus-Hans
12-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Yeah Hans, but I aint up to that point yet. Still need more fry! LOL :D

Maybe you need some Stendker's, BIG MEAN BREEDING MACHINES lol

There is a dealer in Japan lol

Hans

Eddie
12-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Maybe you need some Stendker's, BIG MEAN BREEDING MACHINES lol

There is a dealer in Japan lol

Hans

LOL, NO WAY!!! Adult Stendkers here, probably go for $1000 each fish! :o I am not even kidding.

Darrell Ward
12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
LOL, NO WAY!!! Adult Stendkers here, probably go for $1000 each fish! :o I am not even kidding.

Dang Eddie! You need to transfer to the states where you can get affordable fish. :D