PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experience with this vacuum?

csarkar001
09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/CleaningMachine.html

would like advice from anyone who has owned and operated one of these.

i've automated the water changes in my tank but using the python to vaccum the gravel is still a painful chore. looking for an alternative.

chandan

frenchie100
09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Wow! That looks awesome! I hate using my python as well.

Julie :)

discussmith
09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I have not used this particular item, but it is a micron pleated filter much like the marineland 250 HOT or the magnum 350 canister. I have both of these. The problem is just like stated in the videos that they clog up fairly quickly when used as a gravel cleaner. While the pleated filters can be cleaned the best way is to soak and wash them in a bleach and water solution over night. If you want to be able to clean a 100 gal. or larger tank in one session you will need multiple filter cartridges. This is a good idea any way but does add to the cost. You can buy two 350 magnum pro filters from big Als right now and still spend less than the cost of one of these. They polish the water very well but just like the diatom type filter they referenced they just clog up fast and you find you are always changing out the media.

You can buy just about any pump with hose attachments if you want a pump to pump out water for water changes and again save money.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-09-2009, 09:46 PM
You can make your own for much less than they advertise (or at bare minimum make one better). I would suggest a pressurized bag filter, rather than a pleated cartridge filter along with a strong external pump.

-Ryan