PDA

View Full Version : Complans

Dutch dude
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi there, I just read a post abouth a member complaining abouth some members are disrespectful confronting and so on. The post has been blocked and I'm sure Al got a good reason for it.

I do want to respond to it so no other way to do and start this post. I think SD is a great site with a lot of info and experts. I rarely see a post that is out of line and I don't see a reason for complaining. The OP might have had an issue or felt offended or what ever but it is defenately not the regular way of this board. I think Al and the mods do a fine job overall.

Where 1000 of members meet there will be communication issues, people that don't get along and ego's that bump into each other. An example,....I'm Dutch and our culture is very open. While we say flat out our opinion most other cultures circle around the subject. This doesn't make me mean or confronting but it is just a diference in culture.

So my opinion this site is OK does have a good policy and imo no reasons to complain abouth it. If one does have an issue with a fellow member I suggest to solve it with the person and keep it off the board. I have realy no idea where the negativity abouth this board is coming from.

Not to offend any one but I just want to say my opinion.

Ruurd

brewmaster15
09-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Thank you Ruurd!!:)

-al

Discus-Hans
09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
100% with you Ruurd. Al + staff do a great job.

and for 200% I agree on the Dutch culture part, it brought me a few times in ..........."trouble" ?????????

One of problems is that some people (and this is NOT to something particular) bother Al + the mods with things that I think.........solve your own problem.
I can imagine that sometimes for Al the enjoyment goes out off this forum.

Hans

poconogal
09-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Honesty is certainly appreciated by many, but I don't think its the honest stating of opinions that the OP was speaking about, I believe its the tone of things stated, the arrogance that some people take with others. There are respectful ways of being honest without being offensive to others, but nasty attitudes, arrogance or being condescending is simply a by-product of inflated ego, and certainly uncalled for. But as was already stated, where you have so many people converging in one place, there is bound to be some friction. All in all though, except for some things that went on a few months ago which made it very unpleasant for a lot of members, and which have thankfully ended, I think SD is top notch and certainly much nicer than another forum I can think of that relates to Discus.

Bilbo_wh
09-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Congrats and well said.

Some forums have a tendancy to be overstrict and some a bit to loose but I think this has got things about right.
Its an enjoyable place to visit and has some amazingly helpfull people here so hope it stays that way.

DiscusFreakaZoid
09-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I Luv Fish :)

Dutch dude
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Hans,

The cultural diference brought me in "troubles" a few times as well.

One of problems is that some people (and this is NOT to something particular) bother Al + the mods with things that I think.........solve your own problem.
I can imagine that sometimes for Al the enjoyment goes out off this forum.

If this is the case I can understand Al his responce (which seem to be quit negative). To me the whole post looks blown up. The OP might have an issue with a member but with an open PM back and forth this might have been solved without issues. If not one does have the choice to move on.

some people (and this is NOT to something particular) bother Al + the mods with things that I think.........solve your own problem.

I completely agrea Hans! Let people solve their own disagreements and don't make it a big issue on the board. Al,......SD is a great forum and you should not feel bad abouth some people that don't get along or feel mistreated. Fact is that thousands of member enjoy your board and be very pleased abouth it.

Conny,....not to offend you but I tried to explain that what you feel as rude or confronting might be normal for the other person. This site also contains people with big ego's and thats something that seem to come along with a lot of experts (not only discus experts but experts over all). Thats not only something on this board but it is also happening in the real live. One can make an issue of it but one can also ignore it and look at the info that has been given. If I read your responce it seems to me the info was good but you don't like how it is put. If I was the person who posted I would say,..."thats fine by me, take it or leave it". If I was the one who received the responce I would say,..."I don't like the way you responded but thanks for the info". There are several way's of handling such an issue but imo it is not appropriate to make it look there is a problem with this board. This board is great and overall very few issues. To people who don't like it,....I suggest to move on.

poconogal
09-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I understand what you are saying, but there is no excuse for a nasty attitude or rudeness and I think we all know the difference between someone being opinionated and honest and someone being nasty or rude. There's a vast difference, indeed... as far as moving on, agreed, one always has the option of not getting caught up in another's bickering and can simply move on... regardless, SD is a great place and I've met many great people in the time I've been a member.

David Rose
09-15-2009, 01:40 PM
"Stop it, you're making me cry!" wha wha wha..... NOT! :D

Thank you everyone for your opinions and those of you who wanted to be supportive and understood that my message was based on caring about this forum and wanting to support it, not complaining about Al or the moderators...just those who hi-jack threads with personal issues they have with other members and the tone that they choose to take in expressing themselves.

Al, Dan, Connie, Barb....THANK YOU for your support!

As for me being offended or being way too sensitive....that's just way too funny. In my career as a corporate CFO and Controller over the past 15 years, I've dealt internationally with customer contracts with Army, Navy, Airforce, State and local governments living in Washington DC metro area, Alaska and several other states. Cultural differences aside, I make decisions every day that impact whether or not a company expands or down sizes costing many to lose their jobs or new jobs to be filled, evaluate staff, determine merit increases and so on and so on. Too sensitive...NO... caring Yes. I think there's a big difference.

If you read my historical post, I've only ever been supportive and helpful in the best way possible putting ego aside.

When I do have a concern with a member directly, please trust me you will get a PM from me first asking for clarification not a general board post. The exception a couple of days ago was when I thought it would be good to hear from a newbie's perspective rather than allow the burden only to be on Al or the moderators. My mistake. I'll be sure to involve them first going forward when PMs are insufficient.

It was and is my opinion that this is a great site with great moderators and many good folks at all levels of experience...PERIOD. So let's just please move on respecting Al's post to my thread to end this topic here with no further assumptions. If you have an issue with me.... PM me. I'll be happy to clarify any of my communications with you directly and be happy to help in any way possible.

Sincerely,
David

DiscusFreakaZoid
09-16-2009, 12:46 PM
"Stop it, you're making me cry!" wha wha wha..... NOT! :D

Thank you everyone for your opinions and those of you who wanted to be supportive and understood that my message was based on caring about this forum and wanting to support it, not complaining about Al or the moderators...just those who hi-jack threads with personal issues they have with other members and the tone that they choose to take in expressing themselves.

Al, Dan, Connie, Barb....THANK YOU for your support!

As for me being offended or being way too sensitive....that's just way too funny. In my career as a corporate CFO and Controller over the past 15 years, I've dealt internationally with customer contracts with Army, Navy, Airforce, State and local governments living in Washington DC metro area, Alaska and several other states. Cultural differences aside, I make decisions every day that impact whether or not a company expands or down sizes costing many to lose their jobs or new jobs to be filled, evaluate staff, determine merit increases and so on and so on. Too sensitive...NO... caring Yes. I think there's a big difference.

If you read my historical post, I've only ever been supportive and helpful in the best way possible putting ego aside.

When I do have a concern with a member directly, please trust me you will get a PM from me first asking for clarification not a general board post. The exception a couple of days ago was when I thought it would be good to hear from a newbie's perspective rather than allow the burden only to be on Al or the moderators. My mistake. I'll be sure to involve them first going forward when PMs are insufficient.

It was and is my opinion that this is a great site with great moderators and many good folks at all levels of experience...PERIOD. So let's just please move on respecting Al's post to my thread to end this topic here with no further assumptions. If you have an issue with me.... PM me. I'll be happy to clarify any of my communications with you directly and be happy to help in any way possible.

Sincerely,
David

well said Dave aka peacemaker:angel: cya 2nite after my tennis match i will have big PB ready for ya