PDA

View Full Version : quick question can discus change colors to match a tank mate?

mightymax860
09-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi I had a brilliant that was dark with sharp blue lines placed a carnation in the tank that was lighter and now i can't tell them apart it wasn't stress or was it.He was happy eating and all but know he's lighter and is acting the same can it be a mating thing.

kaceyo
09-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Short answer, no. A discus can't change it's colors to match a tankmate's.
However... a dark discus can lighten up and end up looking like it's tankmate, which it would have looked like anyways had it not been dark.
Hope that makes sense.

Kacey

mightymax860
09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
not color just lighten up to match his tankmate it still shows the brilliant blue but when around the carnation it seems to lighten it to a point it matches colors on the lines

Jhhnn
09-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Maybe it's love...

mightymax860
09-15-2009, 02:51 PM
If it is I hope they don't pound on everyone else

Jhhnn
09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
If it is I hope they don't pound on everyone else

Depends, I guess. Two of my blue scorps recently paired up. She was already acting territorial wrt one end of their 120gal tank, he basically cruised non-aggressively. Now they defend that end, don't like other fish over there... the other 6 have it figured out, keep to the other 2/3 of the tank...

Not really a lot of strife- he was always the biggest, and she was the meanest... Now he's mean, too... They just want their space, and they get it...