PDA

View Full Version : 75G low tech amazon biotope discus setup

Zythum
09-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi all,

I have a 75G reef that is getting transferred to a 120G in another room. I wanted to get rid of the 75G (48x18x20) that is between the computer room and the dining room. But my girlfriend asked for a freshwater tank, that would be my first experience. Here is the planned setup, I wanna keep it simple and low maintenance:

- The tank is already drilled with an overflow and a 25G sump. The return pump is a MAG7.

- I plan on putting a DIY wet dry filter in the sump

- Lighting would be from 2x 48" 54W T5HO, so no CO2 required

- For substrate, 2-3" medium grade pool filter sand

- I wanna get some pieces of driftwood that look like roots

- The PH will be below 7 and the temperature around 82

- I want the tea colored water

For the plants, I will put the following:

- Various swords for discus temp
- Any plants from amazon that can withstand the discus temp
- I will use fert tabs like required on the plants that need it
- I will plant heavily in the beginning, the tank acts like a wall between the two rooms, a lot of planning will be done before adding plants

For the fishes, I wanted cichlids, but discus look nicer:

- 1 bristlenose pleco
- 6 Sterba's cory
- 10 Cardinal tetras
- 10 Rummynose tetras
- 2 Blue ram
- 5 Discus, I will get adults to prevent polluting the tank

For maintenance, I will get a python and change 20G a week, maybe twice if there is a need. I will use tap water that will be treated and left sitting for 24 hours.

Any suggestions?

Can you suggest a list of plants that come from the amazon, can survive with the 108W of T5-HO, no added CO2 and 82 degrees?

Thank you

tdo
09-21-2009, 11:22 PM
i have a 90 with swords, java fern, java moss, anubias barteri, anubias nana, and crypt wendtii in my tank. temps are at 84 degrees, low tech also, with seachem flourish added daily. i would def recommend any of the above plants for your tank. the swords can get very tall, so you could def use it to freat a wall if you need. just give the plants time to grow and establish and you will be fine.

mareshow
09-21-2009, 11:31 PM
well first off you can't go wrong by choosing discus, they are lots of fun gorgeous and the little extra work is well worth it(if you can call it work) second you might want to get a little bit bigger school of german blue rams, they are gorgeous little fish that are really active and colorful, in a group of 4-6 you will get some really nice projecting of color and activity between the bunch. Also when it comes to discus the more the merrier, if i were you i'd get an even number for sure just because then there's never the odd one out if they decide to pair off, 82F is just a little bit chilly for discus if you could bump it up to 84F i think you will be a lot happier with the results because one, your discus will be happier and more active, 2 you have a lot less chance of getting ich and all those other colder water parasites and 3, the blue rams just sparkle at higher temps, seriously they just glow (especially at 86F) i think that once you start with discus you wont go back, they are just a blast!, as for water changes, i do 80-100% a day but i'm raising some, for adults I'd do 50% every 5 days or once a week (personally i'd do 80-100% every day but i'm also a nut about water quality so you dont have to listen to me) there's alot of people on here whose discus are doing absolutely wonderful with 30-50% waterchanges every week and because you have adults i think that'd be fine, not too rant or anything but i'd also check the compatibility of the plants with the higher temps although i'm sure you've already done that, some of em' will just disintegrate over time. all of this is IMO but just some things that i've learned oh and when you buy discus buy from the sponsors on here they are absolutely awesome and you cant go wrong if you pick anyone, they stand by their product and i stand by them, with first hand experience buying at different places i can tell you one thing BUY THEM HERE because you will save money in the long run and you will end up with the most beautiful fish you could ever hope for.

that's it for now

Good Luck!
Marek