PDA

View Full Version : Discus for those who just want to watch the pretty fish

crystalview
09-22-2009, 03:32 AM
I got 6 discus fry four years ago from my son, when I had cancer. We learned so much about fish then. I ended up with a mixed pair and fell in love. Our local water company added chems to the dam and my fish died. Did not know you could check a web site to see what they were adding to our water. I check it now.
After I lost my pair, I tried 6 more fry from the same breeder. They needed to be culled. I tried 2 more times from others with the same results. It is so frustrating when breeders breed just because they can. I never let my pairs fry live for my pair may have been pretty but I did not want to add to an already flooded market of poor quality fish. I just love the mating antics and the parenting skills. When their fry got old enough the rams ate the young. That's life!
Now I am back to a big tank with only neons. I wish someone took payments for a decent pair of non proven's. Or had an assortment of better quality fry to grow up. But it has now been proven to me that their are a lot of breeders I can't trust and I can't afford some of the high quality that comes out of the San Francisco area. They can't sell their nice culls because of their great reputation. I do understand this also. Most people are not conscientious of their breeding habits. My LFS sell these very poor quality at very high prices. My tanks are for my enjoyment not to over breed. Am I odd?

frenchie100
09-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Kenny's Discus (a sponsor here) sells really nice fish in your area for a very good price. Go look in his section, you will not be dissapointed. :D

Good luck,

Julie :)

Jhhnn
09-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Kenny's Discus (a sponsor here) sells really nice fish in your area for a very good price. Go look in his section, you will not be dissapointed. :D

Good luck,

Julie :)

I'll second that motion, and offer that few, if any, would offer anything to the contrary...

mmorris
09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I recommend you give Bill at Inland Empire a call. He's had some nice home-grown fry at a very affordable price. Bill is one of the few who are breeding, rather than importing. I purchased a dozen of his albinos and they are all doing well.

Discus-n00b
09-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Definently check out the sponsors on this site. They are a group of very respectable individuals that sell great fish. You can find just about any size and strain in the sponsor section. Good prices too.

You are not odd. You have the same view as many on this site. Sounds more like a responsible fish keeper to me. Someone who cares about the species. :)

Discus-Hans
09-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Crystal, send me an email, we work something out,

Hans

discus-hans@comcast.net

Armandi_Fishcarer
09-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Crystal, don't give up on your search & not all your fingers are the same. You can find what you are looking for, its just a matter of time & patients, which I sometimes don't have time for. I've seen this happen to people time & time again, thats why I left my job many yrs ago at an lfs. Hope all works out for you! :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)