PDA

View Full Version : Removing Center braces....

Chad Hughes
09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have any experience with removing glass center braces from large tanks? I know, why would you want to remove a perfectly good center brace?? Here's my situation....

I am in the process of creating sumps out of two 125 gallon tanks. Although I was VERY meticulous with the design, I encountered one fatal flaw. The wall of the media chambers is 36" long. The tanks have three top braces. Two on the ends that are about 4" wide and one center brace that is about 12" wide. These braces are THICK 3/8" glass.

My situation is that I cannot fit the media chamber wall in the tank without removing the 12" center brace. Once the glass sump plates are in place, I will reinstall the center brace. Last night I spent about two hours trying to get the center brace out. All of the silicone has been removed and I took a fine razon blade and cut around the edges of the center brace to free it from the tank. I cannot fit a razon in between the end mating edges of the brace and the tank. The tolerence is way too tight to fit a blade in and I think this is what is holding it in. I can get the brace to flex at the joints by pushing on it, so I know it's loose.

Anyone know what steps I should take next to pull this sucker out? I thought about clamping two 2X4s together at the edges of the brace to get some leverage on the panel to see if it would give. This would exponentially increase my leverage on the plate plus, if the center brace breaks, my hands aren't on it. I also thought about just breaking it and replacing it. At this point, breaking it is my last resort plan.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

bettebulldog
09-23-2009, 12:43 PM
do you have any way of expanding the tank walls away from the brace? You said it was loose of all silicone so maybe just fill it up with water and let it bow away from the brace naturally? Or just measure that piece, break it and get a new one.

Inland Empire Discus
09-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Chad,

Give me a call. Might have some ideas though need ask you some questions first.

Bill
909-484-1855

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Those glass center braces are a PITA. Once or twice I had to remove them for various reasons like your own. I simply broke the center brace and pulled each side away from the glass viewing panels. Cleaned the area up with the razor, then measured the distance and got a new piece. I think it cost me all of $15 for a new piece of glass that was cut to size.

-Ryan

Chad Hughes
09-23-2009, 01:11 PM
do you have any way of expanding the tank walls away from the brace? You said it was loose of all silicone so maybe just fill it up with water and let it bow away from the brace naturally? Or just measure that piece, break it and get a new one.

I actually thought of that but didn't want to risk damaging the tank itself. I'd hate to bust the whole thing. Replacing the tank would be a bit pricey and I'm back at square one! Like I said, breaking the panel is the last thing that I will do if it comes to that. LOL!

Chad,

Give me a call. Might have some ideas though need ask you some questions first.

Bill
909-484-1855

Bill,

I'll give you a call.

Those glass center braces are a PITA. Once or twice I had to remove them for various reasons like your own. I simply broke the center brace and pulled each side away from the glass viewing panels. Cleaned the area up with the razor, then measured the distance and got a new piece. I think it cost me all of $15 for a new piece of glass that was cut to size.

-Ryan

Yeah, that's why I considered breaking it. It would save a lot of frustration trying to salvage the old brace. Glass is pretty cheap. The panels for both sumps (18 pieces) only cost about $200. I had them all custom cut.

Thanks for all the quick feedback!

bettebulldog
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I dont think the tank would break with that 1 loose brace. I had a 125 that had no bracing on it and when i fill it up it bowed like hell and didnt break. I got rid of the tank but i did have it filled with water for a while. I think it was for a reptile not a aquarium thats why no bracing on it.

Chad Hughes
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I dont think the tank would break with that 1 loose brace. I had a 125 that had no bracing on it and when i fill it up it bowed like hell and didnt break. I got rid of the tank but i did have it filled with water for a while. I think it was for a reptile not a aquarium thats why no bracing on it.

OK. There is concurrence with the bowing technique. I just got off the phone with Bill and he states the same experience. Tonight I'll fill the tank and see if it gives me enough clearance to get a blade in between the brace and the tank.

It's amazing how much holding power silicone has! LOL!

Thanks for all the great feedback! I really appreciate it.

Best wishes!

bettebulldog
09-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Hope it works as it should. The reason I thought of that was, when I put supports to hold glass tops i'd fill with water and ploosh. Braces fell in the water do to bowing.

Chad Hughes
09-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Hope it works as it should. The reason I thought of that was, when I put supports to hold glass tops i'd fill with water and ploosh. Braces fell in the water do to bowing.

Excellent information! Just what I was looking for!!

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted on whatever success I have! LOL!

Best wishes!

discussmith
09-23-2009, 09:13 PM
For those wanting to cut apart siliconed glass the best tool for the job is solid wire guitar string. Take a couple of wood dowels and wrap the string around itself on the dowels to use for handles. Saw back and forth while pulling in the direction you want to cut.

Chad Hughes
09-24-2009, 01:22 AM
SUCCESS!!!

I tried the water method this afternoon. It made a difference, but didn't really make a big difference. I talked to Bill at IED this afternoon and he mentioned using a jack to push the panels apart. The thought of sticking a jack between two glass panels scares the crap out of me. I modified the "jack" a little and made sort of a wedging device out of some scrap wood. Worked like a champ!! I've attached some pictures. It was interesting!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Elite Aquaria
09-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Chad,

Glad you were able to figure that one out...I would have been terrified trying to remove that from a tank that large.

Chad Hughes
09-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Chad,

Glad you were able to figure that one out...I would have been terrified trying to remove that from a tank that large.

Trust me, it wasn't the most comfortable experience. When the center brace began to give way I was freaking out thinking that the weight of the water coupled with the sudden release of the brace would surely do something to the tank. Nothing.

It's amazing how fragile yet how strong glass can be. Drill it and you crack it, force it to bend and it's OK. Weird. LOL!

Best wishes!