PDA

View Full Version : filtration choices

discus#1
09-28-2009, 11:22 PM
hello folks, filtration choices, if you had a truvu with trickle filter built in, would that aleviate wather changes. or would wet/dry filter accomplish the same thing. still trying to figure out the best way to filtrate my tank. im thinking two(2) aquaclear 500 with (2) sponge fillters in my standard 55. but i have a truvu built in trickle would added sponge filters be sufficient. just want to figure it out before it happens.

built and tore down too many tanks lol.

any information would be appreciated

thanks
barney

rickztahone
09-28-2009, 11:40 PM
the 2 aquaclears and the sponges should be fine. how many discus, planted?, other tank mates?, foods you consider feeding?, how many times?, all of these things factor into filtration needs. i just have 1 HOB filter and 4 sponges in my 55g. i do daily 60% WC's. no matter what you need to be ready to change out a lot of water because filters alone can not keep the water as clean as you need it to be. over-filtered is always better than under-filtered.

Chad Hughes
09-28-2009, 11:48 PM
I agree with Rick. The two HOB filters should be fine plus I would utilize the overflow filter that you have since it's already built for that. I am a big fan of wet/dry filters. I think they do a great job of degassing and turning the water over plus you have a sump that you can put heaters, etc in. I like to keep as much "stuff" out of the tank as possible.

Hope that helps!

Jhhnn
09-28-2009, 11:59 PM
If you have a built-in wet/dry trickle filter, by all means use it. Add a few sponge filters for good measure.

Water changes are pretty much a basic requirement for discus keeping, even with live plants and advanced filtration techniques. Better to figure out how to make them relatively easy and painless than trying to avoid them...