PDA

View Full Version : discus covered in mini tiny white spots.

neupane00
09-28-2009, 11:24 PM
hello, i got a discus 2 days ago and today i see that discus whole body is covered in VERY VERY small white dots (if i look very closely). from further away it seems like it just looks like it lost its color and and covered by white transparent veil. I am sorry i dont have photo now but i will post later. I dont think its ick as its very uniform thru out the body. and white spots are not as big as ick, its only when i go really close i see those minuscule white dots.. like i said from further it just looks like fish is losing color and turning white.
its eating very aggressively.. its active and swimming. and even bullying other fish around when i put in food. (he wants to eat all). other than losing color he seems to be in good shape.
Any advise? Thanks a lot.

tank parameters:
ammonia : 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: between 5 and 10
tank size 60 gallon
other tank mates: few other discus (all doing good), cardinal tet, rummynose, rashbora
Doing water change every other day.
ph: 7.6 (source i got this dicus from , his ph was 6.8)
temp: 86.4 degrees F

THANK YOU ALL for your thoughts and advise.

Disgirl
09-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Could possibly be velvet. I had it once and used API General Cure successfully. Do a search on velvet, a parasite, and see if the pics look like what you have. Just a suggestion. Did you quarantine this new fish?
Barb

rickztahone
09-28-2009, 11:37 PM
what dechlorinator are you using? it sounds like it is ick though, if that were the case you can raise the temp to 90 and you should be fine. this is ONLY if it is ick however. you do not want to just raise the temp on an assumption. pics would help