PDA

View Full Version : Do I need sponge filter with overflow/sump filter??

hoangben
09-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi, hopefully someone can help here. Do I need a sponge filter in my 100g tank with overflow box/sump. And where would i put it?

jeff@zina.com
09-30-2009, 11:55 AM
No, you don't. But you can also use one if you wish. Personally, I wouldn't, but you would put it in the tank for a conventional sponge filter.

Note that this all depends on your sump. If you have the biological filtration in your sump then it's not needed in the tank as well. You could add a sponge component to the sump if you wanted, Discus-Hans does this with the Poret foam. Realistically, foam is just a surface for nitifying bacteria, so Bio-Balls or any other surface can substitute.

There are really only two advantages to in-tank foam filters. Air-driven systems cost less to run, and it's easy to pull the sponge, squeeze it out and return it during maintenance chores.

Jeff

hoangben
09-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks, my sump has bio balls already, so you are saying i don't really need a sponge filter??

Jhhnn
09-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Redundancy in filtration is always a good idea. I have 2 of the H-III sponge filters from Jehmco in my 75gal, even though it has bioballs and other biomedia in the sump... the extra aeration from the airpump doesn't hurt, either.

Think in terms of having a backup- if plan A fails, plan B is already in place...

jeff@zina.com
10-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks, my sump has bio balls already, so you are saying i don't really need a sponge filter??

You don't really need a sump either. A tank of water is all you need, the bio-filtration provided by a sponge filter, bio-balls or any other biological media just makes your water last longer before the toxins build up. If you were changing 90% of your water everyday and not overcrowding, you wouldn't need a filter of any kind.

It's all a balance, and a matter of what works for you. If I used a filtration system like a sump, I probably would not also use a sponge filter. Others probably would.

Jeff

Chad Hughes
10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Sponge filters offer two advantages. First, they are cheap and cheap to operate. Second, if you are rearing fry in the tank, the sponge allowys for low current filtration without the risk of fry geting sucked in to the filter.

A disadvantage of a sponge filter is that it doesn't really "filter" the water. All it offers is biological filtration. That's it. It will not remove debris from the water nor will it polish the water.

Sump filtration does both. I has a larger biological filtration surface area plus it will remove particulate from the water. Disadvantages to this type of system is that it requires plumbing, attention to the water level of the sump, and some understanding of how it works.

IMO, If you are looking for good filtration for a tank with young adults or adult discus, I'd use the sump system PLUS a second type of filtration like an HOB or canister. This will keep your discus tank very clean. This combination will offer more than enough biological filtration AND keep the water very clear.

Hope that helps!

riiz
10-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Another advantage with sponge filters, if you lose power, you can use a battery-powered airpump to keep the bio-filter going.

tcyiu
10-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Another advantage with sponge filters, if you lose power, you can use a battery-powered airpump to keep the bio-filter going.

Good point.

Personally, I would not want to deal with two systems. Either have a sponge which require daily WC or every other day WC, OR a sump system in which the water return aerates the water when it hits the tank.

Unless you're a belt AND suspenders kinda guy, you really don't need both.

Tim

zamboniMan
10-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Unless you're a belt AND suspenders kinda guy, you really don't need both.

Whats wrong with being a belt and suspenders kinda guy? ;)

I run sponge filters in my sumps for 2 reasons.

1. If the power goes out (which it does several times a year here) I have an established sponge filter. This provides extra oxygenation, water movement, and minimal filtering during the power outage.

2. If I want to cycle a new tank(s) I have just move one of the sponges from one of the sumps to the new tank.

tcyiu
10-19-2009, 12:33 AM
:-)

Nothing wrong with having a backup plan.

I often run without belts or suspenders. Let the chips fall where they may ... que sera, sera

LOL

Tim