PDA

View Full Version : cement in aquarium

hoangben
09-30-2009, 01:33 PM
HI, I'm custom building a 3-d background out of foam with a layer of cement over it, the question is, will the cement affect the water quality of the tank?? what steps can i take to minimize the affect of cement on the water?

hoangben
09-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Any comments or suggestion will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Chad Hughes
09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
This is waht I have read about cement and aquariums....

Any cement used under water will leach unless it has been fired. Bricks and concrete blocks are all kiln fired and will not leach. If you are using something like quickrete or other air dried cement, you'll have problems.

Hope that helps!

hoangben
09-30-2009, 04:01 PM
What is a good alternative besides cement that i can use?? Its for a 3-D background..

Chad Hughes
09-30-2009, 05:17 PM
I think most are made from either foam or fiberglass.

William Palumbo
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
You might be able to use cement, but I think I heard that it has to be sealed with a special paint...like a marine grade paint for boats...or an epoxy based paint...Bill

Chad Hughes
09-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Here's a link (http://www.backtonature.se/english/kvalite.html) to how they are manufactured if you were to buy one...

Fons_van_der_Hart
10-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Problem with cement is the raising of the KH. This will raise so much you can only keep African Cichlids or turn the tank into a Marine tank.
Only use polystyreen foam and epoxy or polyester.

Some samples (sorry in Dutch only):
http://www.venividivissie.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40558
and
http://www.venividivissie.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40325&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75

hoangben
10-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Has anyone try using cement in their discus aquarium? Please share your experience.

Fons_van_der_Hart
10-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Several people have tried cement in their Discus aquarium and all with the same results. Using epoxy to seal off the cement will only work for a few years, after a certain period some water will go through the epoxy and the hardness of the water will rise enormously.

hoangben
10-01-2009, 02:50 PM
theres a new product in the market, call Sika Top Seal, it is use in drinking fountains and is food safe?? has anyone used this product??

jeff@zina.com
10-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Cement/Concrete is fine if cured. A muriatic acid bath is common, or simply letting it sit in a tub outside and leach until it's ready. Easier and possibly better is craft polymer clays like Sculpey Clay. Mold or sculpt what you want and bake it hard.

Jeff

zamboniMan
10-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I used it in my first discus tank. I soaked it in muratic acid three times. Then let it soak for 6 months changing the water every couple days. I have since sold that tank but I'll look for pictures (I have some somewhere its a question of where). I'm probably going to do another one starting in the spring (setup then in the fall). Soaking it in soft water was key. I tested the water before each change with a test kit. After 5 months the concrete had no aparent impact on the hardness of the water.

Good luck.

discus21473
10-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I have had good luck using clay and then firing it and painting with marine paint.
good luck

tspad
12-11-2012, 10:31 AM
HI, I'm custom building a 3-d background out of foam with a layer of cement over it, the question is, will the cement affect the water quality of the tank?? what steps can i take to minimize the affect of cement on the water?

Hi,

We recommend to use Natural Prompt Cement from Vicat. It is the only natural cement without any additives.
Very short curing time will enable you to create quickly safe structures for you aquarium.