PDA

View Full Version : How many in a 45 gallon

Scbatiste
10-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi I'm interested in setting up a 45 gallon corner aquarium and I wanted to know how many adlut discus I could keep. What are the ideal foods to feed them, and what are some sutiable tankmates? Thanks

Eddie
10-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Personally, only a pair that actually get along. A corner tank does not have a good surface area for a group of discus IMO. Also, a 45 gallon in general, could hold 5 adults but even then it would be overstocked IMO.

Tankmates:
Cardinals
Corydoras
bushynose plecos

Having just the 2 discus and the above tankmates will allow for a nice set-up with wood and such. This would be the most ideal IMO.

Take care,

Eddie

rickztahone
10-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Personally, only a pair that actually get along. A corner tank does not have a good surface area for a group of discus IMO. Also, a 45 gallon in general, could hold 5 adults but even then it would be overstocked IMO.

Tankmates:
Cardinals
Corydoras
bushynose plecos

Having just the 2 discus and the above tankmates will allow for a nice set-up with wood and such. This would be the most ideal IMO.

Take care,

Eddie

+1, i would only keep a true pair in that sized tank with 20 or so dither fish.

Palue
10-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Yes I agree with Eddie, I have a 46 gal bow front tank. It is home to 4 adult discus at the moment, luckily they all get along and came with the tank when I bought it. My opinion is a pair would be best in this size of tank which is close to the same size as yours. So I would recommend you get yourself a nice pair for that tank.

I have a small school of glowlite tetras and sliver tip tetras which are quite neat for something different, serbae catfish (came with tank) and a bristlenose as well.

Good Luck