PDA

View Full Version : Week 20

wgtaylor
10-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Week 20 completed and everything seems pretty good.

When I started this contest I decided not to add vitamins or minerals to the food or water to see if there was going to be an effect
on growing out juvenile discus in my soft tap water. It makes things easiest to use the tap water that's available whether it is soft or hard.
I wanted a baseline to compare their growth to other contestants and then supplement the food if needed. So far they seem to
be averaging a good growth rate so I will keep up with this routine.

They all started headstanding as can be seen in these pictures.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/week20-1.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/week20-2.jpg

Funny thing is they fully recover as soon as the pellets are gone. Just kidding. :D

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%207/week20-3.jpg

The water parameters have stayed the same, 65 microseimens, 30 parts per million, ph 6.5 with 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia.
The nitrates have remained about 5 ppm with 50-75% daily water changes. All sides, bottom of tank, air lines and any surfaces in the tank are wiped down every other day.
I am feeding beefheart/shrimp, 50/50, mix once per day now and flake two to three times with pellets twice per day.

Bill :)

acroken
10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Bill,
I did not think that was funny at all. My heart skipped a beat:D I love the spotted pattern on a few of them. Real beautiful. Looking good my friend!

Kenny

j_li8
10-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I thought the same Kenny. Then i looked closer and saw that they were eatting. It must be something in the food that makes them head stand, look so healthy and hungry all at the same time. Keep up the good work. Those quick recovering head standers look great.

Chad Hughes
10-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Hey Bill!

I have to agree, my heart skipped a beat as well. You have to save those kinds of jokes for April fools day. LOL! Even then it wouldn't have been funny. LOL!

Anyway, all is looking good! Well done!

Best wishes!

wgtaylor
10-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Sorry guys, should have put "Just Kidding" up front. :o

Thank you all for the compliments ! :)
Bill

Eddie
10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah Bill, you had me going for a second until I noticed the stuff on the bottom of the tank and thought.............no way, Bill doesn't let his tanks get that dirty EVER. Then I knew it was food. LOL Those fish look amazing! Keep up the great work.

Take care,

Eddie

wgtaylor
10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah Bill, you had me going for a second until I noticed the stuff on the bottom of the tank and thought.............no way, Bill doesn't let his tanks get that dirty EVER. Then I knew it was food. LOL Those fish look amazing! Keep up the great work.

Take care,

Eddie

Ya, my tanks are usually pretty clean, almost like yours. Thanks Eddie,
Bill

Scribbles
10-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Your discus look great Bill! I have to admit that I also held my breath for a moment at the headstander coment until I saw that they were feeding. You got us all.:D

Chris

pcsb23
10-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Just very, very nice. :)

ashaysathe
10-08-2009, 07:38 PM
How interesting.
I have 1 Albino Alenquer and is yr old and he, for correctness she, does this head stands pretty frequently but one of the observation is never when the light over the tank go of.
Can there be a hypothesis that this particular Albino strain are very sensitive to light? Because no other Albino (I have a Albino LSS) does that. She is normal.

Amazing looking fish especially the one with red spot. Splendid job.

kirkp
10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey Bill,

As usual, fish are doing fantastic. I knew right away you were yankin' our chain (not).

Kirk

wgtaylor
10-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Just very, very nice. :)
Thanks Paul, I really enjoy them. :)
Bill

Your discus look great Bill! I have to admit that I also held my breath for a moment at the headstander comment until I saw that they were feeding. You got us all.:D

Chris
Hi Chris,
They do that consistently when they get their pellets. Thought it would make a good picture, than couldn't resist the headstander comment. :D

Bill

wgtaylor
10-08-2009, 11:43 PM
How interesting.
I have 1 Albino Alenquer and is yr old and he, for correctness she, does this head stands pretty frequently but one of the observation is never when the light over the tank go of.
Can there be a hypothesis that this particular Albino strain are very sensitive to light? Because no other Albino (I have a Albino LSS) does that. She is normal.

Amazing looking fish especially the one with red spot. Splendid job.

Hi Ashay,
They eat beefheart normal, the flake normal while it's floating but they stand vertical when they go after the pellets. I don't have a real bright tank light but if it is off they seem to go in a sleep mode and won't eat much. One has learned to bend sideways to see food on bottom. They all seem to find a way to adjust so they don't miss out on food. :)
Thank you for the compliments :)
Bill

wgtaylor
10-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey Bill,

As usual, fish are doing fantastic. I knew right away you were yankin' our chain (not).

Kirk

But Kirk they really are standing on their heads. :D:D:D
Take care buddy
Bill

Armandi_Fishcarer
10-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Bill, looking fantastic as usual. Keep up the great job & your fishiezzz will run rings around the competion! :D:D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

willbldrco
10-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Those are some awesome fish! I'm curious what your KH typically is.

wgtaylor
10-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Those are some awesome fish! I'm curious what your KH typically is.

GH and KH are less than 1.
Bill

Bill, looking fantastic as usual. Keep up the great job & your fishiezzz will run rings around the competion! :D:D

Regards
Ahmed ;)
Thank you Ahmed
Always glad to get your compliments. :)
Take care
Bill

calihawker
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Way to go Bill! They really look awesome!