PDA

View Full Version : Question about sponge filter and the airstone

poconoboss
10-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I bought a couple of sponge filters for a breeding tank I am setting up and I noticed that the "Bullseye" that the riser tube attaches to has a nib that looks like I could attach my airline tube directly to it.

Can I do that, or does it need to be an air stone to achieve more bubbles?

The directions specifically says air stone and does not mention a direct connection as an option, although I not see why not since a power head is an option?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ifixoldhouses
10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
attach a small airline under it, and an air stone to it, otherwise it will be loud, with big bubbles.

poconoboss
10-08-2009, 09:46 PM
attach a small airline under it, and an air stone to it, otherwise it will be loud, with big bubbles.

Thanks, that's what I thought the directions meant.

I wasn't sure if using the line direct would create more suction.

alpine
10-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I ran the fishroom without air stones ...I am glad I added the airstones ..very quiet !

Roberto.

jeff@zina.com
10-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't use air stones, one more thing to clog. I use a door to control the noise. :)

Jeff

Moon
10-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I have quite a few sponge filters in my fishroom with no airstones. All work well. I like the sound of water bubbling and it's in the basement.

Jhhnn
10-15-2009, 02:03 AM
If you live in the same room as the aquarium, then you'll probably want to use airstones on short lengths of tubing under the bullseyes...

I like to smooth the ends of the clear tubes w/ sandpaper, reduces cuts on the fish when they spook suddenly. I also keep spare stones on hand so that when one starts to plug up, I can switch it out, then soak it in vinegar or dilute muriatic, rinse, return to spares...

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Keep in mind that by adding an airstone to a sponge filter you a reducing it's effective pumping rate....flow through the sponge will be slower, and may not flow at all as it clogs overtime. Larger bubbles are ideal when using an airlift.

-Ryan

Jhhnn
10-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Keep in mind that by adding an airstone to a sponge filter you a reducing it's effective pumping rate....flow through the sponge will be slower, and may not flow at all as it clogs overtime. Larger bubbles are ideal when using an airlift.

-Ryan

That might be true for equal volumes of air, but airstones allow for greater air volume, if available, at much lower noise levels. I also suspect that noise is a stressor for fish as well as for humans.

What you're saying is probably more applicable to commercial or semi-commercial fish keeping than to the usual hobbyist situation...

Noid6002
12-20-2012, 11:34 PM
So my sponge filter has 2 strainers inside that clip together. The attachment for the air tube on top runs down a small hard plastic tube all the way to the weight on the bottom of the sponge filter. There is no way to attach an air stone under the bullseye. What to do? Also I have seen people say that air stones reduce flow and others say they increase...which is it? Its a Jardin sponge filter. Any suggestions other than breaking the tube out of the middle of the strainer?

Noid6002
12-23-2012, 12:08 AM
So I cut the black tube out of the middle and added an airstone...the water shoots about a 1/2 inch out of the lift tube...I had to add more water to the tank. Thanks anyway

rubinsteinnyc
04-23-2013, 10:45 PM
question pertaining to sponge filters... how does it compare to using aquaclear filters? i am contemplating using 110 vs SWISS TROPICALS sponge with stone and airpump. All advice welcome