PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Discus Meeting..Fall 2009

brewmaster15
10-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi all,

Its time again for another quarterly meeting of our Northeast Discus group. As many of you know, we have a great group of people that get together 4 times a year to talk discus and socialize... all are welcome to attend and there is no fee or "membership".

We've set the date for the next North East Discus meeting...This one is being hosted by Steve and Maureen Colley in Westport CT at their home....

Steve Colley
1 Peaceful Lane
Westport CT, 06880

The Date is Nov 21 st. The event starts at 3:00 pm.

Meet and greet 3-5:00pm
Dinner.. 5pm
Discussions 6-7:30
cocktails and snacks.. to whenever.

This will be a pot luck dinner event so all participants should get together with Steve to let him know what you can bring.....pm him here at

Scolley (http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/member.php?u=12239)

For those of you that know Steve here, he is a real Guru of planted tanks and has built an amazing high tech planted tank set up in his home and experimented with the concept of Discus and the planted tank... Steve will be doing a presentation on his experiences and some rather amazing conclusions he has drawn. Anyone even remotely considering a Planted tank with discus or that enjoys talking discus should attend...

We'll have the usual meet and greet, food and drink, social networking that we have have at all these meetings....

I'll turn this baby over to Steve now... Thanks for hosting this event Steve and Maureen!!:)

See you all there!!

-al

ps... anyone have access to a LCD projector...please let me know.

scolley
10-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks Al. I'm humbled. Over in some other forums you can achieve "guru" status with post count alone. So I'm sure that's what Al's are referring to, because I have achieved that. ;) Beyond that I've got a good bit of observation, leading to some somewhat contrarian opinions on how to keep aquatic plants. And discus. Together.

I look forward to sharing some of those next month. :)

Quite a few of you have been talking about coming to my place to see the Kahuna for quite a while. I'm excited that it's finally going to happen! You know who you are... But the best part is having everyone else over for the meeting. Too cool!

So please post if you think you can make it. Getting a head count - as much as possible - for food. So please let me know. And PLEASE think about coming. Will be a true pleasure to have everyone over!

Logistics...
While the address is "1" Peaceful Lane, once you turn onto Peaceful, I'm the 2nd driveway on the right. Technically you would expect it to be the 1st driveway on the left. But it's not. Long story. Can explain when you get here. Google has a decent map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+peaceful+lane+westport+ct&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=1+Peaceful+Ln,+Westport,+CT+06880&gl=us&ei=-OrRSrLpKYitlAeNqtioCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA), though it only gets you as far as Peaceful Lane. You do actually have to turn onto Peaceful to get to my house (2nd on right).

For those of you not familiar with the area, Westport is about midway between Bridgeport and Stamford. About ten minutes on the highway from either one. Westport is at a spot where I-95 and the Merritt Parkway run parallel. My house is right in between those two highways. So take which ever highway is best for you, though it is a bit easier to get to my house from the Merritt.

If you take the Merritt, get off on exit 42. I'm about two minutes ride once you get off the Merritt.

If you are traveling I-95 where you get off depends on your direction of travel. If you are coming from the west (technically on I-95 North), get off on exist 17. If you are traveling east (on I-95 South) take exit 18. Depending on which exit you take, it's another 5 to 10 minutes to my house due to traffic lights and such.

Safe travels! And see you soon!

ashaysathe
10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Excellent. This is wonderful.

Steve and Maureen - thanks for hosting the event. It will be awesome as always to meet you and also witness the "Mecca of Planted Tanks"

Hey Al - I am not sure what they agenda or topics for discussion are but this time I would find it very beneficial if you can present:

"Overview on Discus Genetics".

I know its not something that can be accomplished quickly and its a ocean of a topic on its own. If you can cover some:

1. Basic concepts.
2. Basic defintions.
3. Terms like allele, phenotype, homo/hetro zygous, Mendel's matrix, dominant/recessive, inline, out of the line breeding.. sky is literally a limit here.
4. Water parameters : Although this related to breeding conditions than actual genetics but needs a mention - TDS, pH and its importance and need. Any alterations needed and methods.

Something that can give "novice breeders" like me some idea and be educationally informed to be part of an intelligent conversation.

An informative presentation like the one around diseases would go a long way.

By no means I mean to kibosh the agenda Steve and you are planning for the day. If this is something we can cover will be of immense support.

Clearly its not something that I can be a master of by "next Wednesday" so to speak. I can surely read and learn but in my own experience having it explained in a manner like such goes a long way.

brewmaster15
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Ashay,
I think we can certainly have informal discussions about that topic, the main/formal talk will be done by Steve on his experiences and insights regarding the Planted Discus Tank.... I've talked with Steve many times about this topic and the wealth of information and experience he has here is humbling and amazing....I am sure everyone will leave that night with much food for thought.

Hth,
Al

ashaysathe
10-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Indeed.

I was not aware of a predefined agenda. Both of you by far possess knowledge to be solely proud of and experiences shared for sure are wealth of information to keep.

Looking forward for the event.

scolley
10-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Ashay... it's not firm yet. But with examples right there for all to see/dicuss it seems an ideal opportunity to focus on both plants in discus tanks and high-tech tanks.

The slideshow is in the making now. Hopefully will be interesting. :)

Moon
10-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I was joping to make the fall meeting. But the date clashes with the Ohio Chiclid Convention. I've already booked the hotel for the OCA. Oh well hope to make it to the next one.
Joe

scolley
10-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry about that timing Joe. Too bad for us. :(

But does raise a significant question... accommodations.

If there is anyone that is planning on staying overnight, please send me a PM, and I'll work up a list of recommendations. Also, please let me know which direction you will be traveling when you leave. There are no reasonably priced hotels in Westport, so it makes sense to point you to a place that is in the direction you are traveling.

There ARE accommodations in Westport if you want to part with a big pile of long green. But once you drive 5-10 miles out of Westport, it's much more reasonable. :)

brewmaster15
10-12-2009, 07:26 AM
HI all,
If anyone wants me to bring my BH mix (http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=73828) to the meeting for them let me know in advance please.

Thanks!
-al

ps... Hey Joe, One of these times we'll meet up!:( I look forward to that day!:)

GrillMaster
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Steve... I will be bringing a few dishes myself. If Maureen or yourself need anything at all, please dont hesitate to shoot me a PM!! :)

Cya soon my friend!

pcsb23
10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
These really are meetings people should try and get to. I was priviliged enough to attend the last one and it was a fantastic event! I wish I could make all of them!

Have fun guys 'n gals :)

mightymax860
10-13-2009, 05:09 PM
hey al me and carrie are going will contact to find out what to bring hope to meet you guys there

scolley
10-13-2009, 11:23 PM
All - have good news on two fronts...

One... to my utter amazement, reasonable lodging has been located right here in the town right next to Westport. It's about 10-12 minutes from my house. The Norwalk Inn has rooms for $89 on 11/14 (http://www.norwalkinn.com/?gclid=CNjdyNXQup0CFZho5QodJmXIjw). It ain't the Ritz, but FWIW, I've put my dad up in this same place on multiple occasions. Reasonable accommodations at an amazingly reasonable price (for this area). I'm shocked at the price frankly. Must be the economy. But hey... it's good for us!

Two... Al was wonderful to mention this as a pot luck dinner. Have already gotten great word of some wonderful pot luck coming our way. Thank you! ;)
But please don't think of food as the cost of entry! We'll happily take what we can, but Moe (the wife in charge) and I will make sure everyone is very well fed, regardless of what people can - or cannot - bring to help. So if you can contribute... Great! But you're just as welcome if all you can bring is your smiling face. We'll see if we can find some good food to fit in it. :p

subcooler
10-14-2009, 06:13 AM
All - have good news on two fronts...

One... to my utter amazement, reasonable lodging has been located right here in the town right next to Westport. It's about 10-12 minutes from my house. The Norwalk Inn has rooms for $89 on 11/14 (http://www.norwalkinn.com/?gclid=CNjdyNXQup0CFZho5QodJmXIjw).

Two... Al was wonderful to mention this as a pot luck dinner. Have already gotten great word of some wonderful pot luck coming our way. Thank you! ;)
But please don't think of food as the cost of entry! We'll happily take what we can, but Moe (the wife in charge) and I will make sure everyone is very well fed, regardless of what people can - or cannot - bring to help. So if you can contribute... Great! But you're just as welcome if all you can bring is your smiling face. We'll see if we can find some good food to fit in it. :p

Steve,
I'm sure the meeting will be one to remember!
It was a pleasure chatting with Maureen & You @ Al's in the past.
As always it's nice to see Simply members graciously opening thier homes for our meetings!
I'm sure there will be lot's of great food & smiling faces :D
I'm unsure if I'll be able to attend the meeting, but definately trying to jam it into a busy fall concert schedule!

Peace,
Rob

runner
10-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Scolley
I will be attending the meeting. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Jay Walsh
North Granby

mmorris
10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I wish I could make all of them!

I wish you could too. :)

GrillMaster
10-14-2009, 03:28 PM
The Norwalk Inn has rooms for $89 on 11/14 (http://www.norwalkinn.com/?gclid=CNjdyNXQup0CFZho5QodJmXIjw)

Whats the price for the 21rst? ;) :D :D :D

scolley
10-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Ooops! I goofed... Better check that out!

scolley
10-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Whoa... big mistake!

I was shocked at the price, must have fumbled fingered the date on their webpage. 'Cuz their cheapest room on the 21st is unfortunately much more in line with what I would have expected - $139. :( Still a good price around here for that quality a place. But the 1st number was shocking. Too good to be true I guess.

Sorry about that. So, unless you want to spend that... if you need lodging, pls send me a PM about what direction you will be leaving, and I can check on hotels on that route. I know it seems goofy, but Connecticut is one of those states where people often you hear "Sorry. You can't get there from here." Sounds crazy But it's almost true. And driving 30 minutes away from my town (in some directions) can dramatically lower the cost of a room.

I got a PM from someone that is WAY north of my Connecticut. And honestly she could just as easily approach my place from the north, east, or west. Each route had it's advanges.

So, please just PM me the direction you'll be departing, and I'll see what we can find in that direction. :)

GrillMaster
10-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow Steve!!! I was bein sarcastic with the earlier post!! Thats pretty amazing they would up the charge to that extent for the same thing a week later...:confused:

I also wanted to ask if crock pot wings and a brisket were taken yet..If not mark me down for those. I will bring another lil side, just haven't decided what it is just yet. The goal here.... To have you and Maureen (or Maureen and yerself if proper etiquette is required ;)) do the least amount of work! :D :D :D

Todd N
10-21-2009, 03:55 AM
I may make it up from Philly.

scolley
10-21-2009, 07:17 PM
OK, it’s starting to shape up. Cool! Keeping in mind that historically, I believe we always wind up with more than actually communicate that they are coming, I’ve got:

Planning on Coming
brewmaster15
mmorris
Don in Virginia and son
ashaysathe and friend
GrillMaster

Possibly Coming
2075turner
mightymax860 and Carrie
Todd N
Subcooler
runner

Moon – I’m sorry you can’t make it.
subcooler – I’ll certainly be disappointed that you can’t make it. But I do understand busy schedules!
GrillMaster – Wings and brisket sound outstanding! Thank you. But don’t work about our work. We’re taking care of that too! That’s why what does not get taken care of with your generous pot-luck offerings will be supplemented by catering. ;-) We’re planning on having a good time too!
pcsb23 – It was a real pleasure to meet you at Mark’s big shindig this summer. Thank you for coming! And outside of it being so nice to meet you at last, your talk was REALLY informative and interesting. A real eye-opener. Thank you!

Apologies if I’ve stuck to just screen names above folks. Obviously I know most of you on a first name basis, but some not. And I don’t want go getting confuses about who does, or does not, use their real names on the forum, so I’m just sticking to screen names for broad communications.

Also, I realized that I should post a warning… animals DO live in this house! Got a massively fluffy Shetland Sheepdog, two cats, and a ferret. The rats are – unfortunately – recently deceased now. Bottom line, we’ll definitely be doing a massive de-hairing (imaging four people with sticky rollers, rolling ceilings, walls, floors, … ;-) ), but I’m sure that while we should be reasonably hair free, if you’ve got a bad dog or cat allergy, it could be an issue. Hope not.

Thanks for all the communications! Looking forward to it!

csarkar001
10-21-2009, 11:03 PM
i live 20 minutes away so if i can get a hall pass from the boss, i would like to come. will know for sure in a couple of weeks. (have to wait for her to need something and then ...)

Todd N
10-22-2009, 12:55 AM
I am about 75% 25%. I am working out the details. I really want meet others with the same interest in fish and to learn about planting my tank.

scolley
10-22-2009, 08:00 AM
csarkar001, Todd N - If you can work it out... that'd be great! Just let me know, and hope to see you then. But if you don't know until the last minute - come anyway! It would be a great surprise.

Bottom line, we’ll definitely be doing a massive de-hairing (imaging four people with sticky rollers, rolling ceilings, walls, floors, … ;-) )...I thought about having said this later, and I hope I didn't scare anyone off. It's not as bad as I make it sound. Really. I was just joking. The only person that should even care is someone with a SERIOUS animal allergy. For anyone else it should be a non-issue. :)

Discus with Plants
I really do not want to blow my own horn, particularly as many, many people's planted tanks are far lovelier than mine. But in the interest of show a bit of what we'll be discussion, including - how you can do this too, if you haven't already - here's some links to a few of my tank's past, all entries in the annual AGA Aquascaping Contest:

AGA 2005 - no discus (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005.cgi?&Scale=514&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2&id=9)
AGA 2006 - discus (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2&id=51)
AGA 2007 - discus, but pics taken with a crappy camera :( (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2007.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=3&id=187)

That'll be the starting point for some of the discussion. :)

brewmaster15
10-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Discus with Plants
I really do not want to blow my own horn, particularly as many, many people's planted tanks are far lovelier than mine. But in the interest of show a bit of what we'll be discussion, including - how you can do this too, if you haven't already - here's some links to a few of my tank's past, all entries in the annual AGA Aquascaping Contest:

Steve is too humble... We have among us on this forum some individuals that have been very successful at merging planted tanks and Discus... I have seen what Steve has accomplished and talked with him at length about it.. This is someone with a wealth of knowledge and experience on the subject...I highly encourage people to attend!

-al

csarkar001
10-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Al:

are you going to bring any beefheart. i'm almost finished with the 2 lbs i bought from you a few months back.

chandan

csarkar001
10-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Oh my god! how many hours per week is a tank like this?

Discus with Plants

AGA 2005 - no discus (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005.cgi?&Scale=514&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2&id=9)
AGA 2006 - discus (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2&id=51)
AGA 2007 - discus, but pics taken with a crappy camera :( (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2007.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=3&id=187)

That'll be the starting point for some of the discussion. :)

brewmaster15
10-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi Chandan,

I'll bring Beefheart mix for anyone that lets me know ahead of time...give me at least a week in case I get jammed here.

Thanks,
al

scolley
10-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Oh my god! how many hours per week is a tank like this? A lot.

But high maintenance is not the only route. I just went a period of EXACTLY six months without touching my planted discus tank other than dropping food in for the fish. Other than than that - nothing - no filter cleaning, no equipment maintenance, no plant trimming, CO2 refilling - absolutely nothing for six long months. Sounds hard to believe, but I'd swear it on my mother's grave. Since then I've spent 2 hours trimming dead leaves and cleaning a little GSA off the tank walls, and then another 2 hours planting a few new plants so it won't look like total crap when you guys get here.

It does not look as nice as those picture. But honestly, IMO it looks pretty d*mn good for a tank that's gotten 4 hours maintenance in 6 months.

You can be the judge. I think the comparison between this - and those high maintenance pics - will be interesting. ;)

GrillMaster
10-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Cant wait to talk plants with ya Steve and I have been dying to see this tank in person for a long time my friend!! :)

mmorris
10-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Your plants may be nice, but I bet my algae's doing better. :)

scolley
10-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Your plants may be nice, but I bet my algae's doing better. :) Thanks for that very good point... I'll have to be sure to include how bad it can get. :D:D:D It ain't always pretty in paradise. ;)

mehran
10-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Steve
I'll be there too.
Mehran

scolley
10-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi Steve
I'll be there too.
MehranOutstanding. :thumbsup:

scolley
10-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Cant wait to talk plants with ya Steve and I have been dying to see this tank in person for a long time my friend!! :)
Lookin' forward to it buddy!

TFH
10-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Hello,

I am new to Simply Discus and my wife and I are contemplating a 90 gallon planted in-wall tank. We would like to attend the meeting but we are not members of Norhteast Discus Society. We are only 30 minutes from Westport and so this would be a great opportunity for us to learn more about a planted tank. Is this talk open to non-members? How do you join the Northeast Discus group?

Thanks,

Tom

scolley
10-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Tom - this is open to everyone with any interest in discus! Or even those contemplating discus. With all due respect to the club, it's a lot like that great tree house you had when you were a kid. Anybody in it was in the club!

So if you are interested in the topics at hand, or interested in meeting other discus hobbiests, by all means come. Your wife too. We'd be pleased to have you!

stephcps
10-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi Steve,

I am in West Hartford! I hope, really, really hope to come.
I will let you know for sure soon!!!;)

Steph

2075turner
10-27-2009, 05:21 PM
FYI

I just checked the rate at Norwalk Inn and it is now down to $99 for the night.

:)

mmorris
10-28-2009, 04:53 PM
It's an easy "club" to get into, but a heck of a lot harder to get out! :D

scolley
10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I am in West Hartford! I hope, really, really hope to come.
I will let you know for sure soon!!!;)I met my wife I West Hartford Steph! Hope you can make it!

I just checked the rate at Norwalk Inn and it is now down to $99 for the night.Go figure! It's a definite improvement. Thanks for that info. I guess the rate just floats. Hmmmm...

It's an easy "club" to get into, but a heck of a lot harder to get out! :DAin't it the truth! I got in for myself, and now my wife won't let me out. She LOVES those fish. ;)

JeffreyRichard
11-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Once again it looks like I'll miss out on a great day. I'm traveling an will not be back until that week ... I don't think my wife would appreciate me taking off after being away for 3 weekends. I hope to have some good pix of Hong Kong discus to share ... Winter meeting???

DonMD
11-12-2009, 11:49 AM
My family has decided that since there is a craft fair in Westport, CT the day of the Northeast Discus meeting, my attendance at Steve's house has become a "sanctioned" event, since they will probably just drop me off and head over to the fair to see what's up, and what they never knew they couldn't live without . . .

Anyone interested in arts and crafts, check it out: http://www.artrider.com/WPT09.html

brewmaster15
11-12-2009, 01:06 PM
head over to the fair to see what's up, and what they never knew they couldn't live without . . . Lol!!:)

Hey all attendees.... we could really use an LCD projector for this event... If I have to I'll buy one...but would rather not at this time...so if anyone has access to one and is attending..please let me know..In the meantime...I'll keep asking around.

-thanks,
al

acroken
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I may make it up from Philly.

I am there also. Really looking forward to this one. I will get with Steve to see what is needed.

Todd or anyone else in the philly area,
if you need a ride let me know. I am right outside of Philly. As long as you do not mind speeding:D

Kenny

DonMD
11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Lol!!:)

we could really use an LCD projector for this event... I

-thanks,
al

Al, I'll bring my projector, I use if for training all the time. Do you need a laptop, too?

scolley
11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
OK! Momentum builds... Cool!

Runner - I originally had you down as a maybe, when you had actually indicated "Coming". Sorry about that! Will be great to meet you.
Mehran - It'll be good to have you!
TFH - Hope you can make it too. It's not that far away. ;)
JeffreyRichard - We'll definitely miss you.
acroken - Will be great to have you. We'll try to make it worth the trip.
Don in Virginia - Glad you are in the definite list. Can you post the details on the Craft show? Others traveling here might be interested. Westport generally has decent crafts shows. Not great, but better than your average show. Not gonna see much made out of Popsicle sticks, but lots of stuff you'll be wondering how you can afford. :) :) That's why I discourage my wife from going. Disposable income is supposed to be for fish. ;)

Al, I'll bring my projector, I use if for training all the time. Do you need a laptop, too?Hallelujah! ! ! YES! PLEASE!

That's great! No laptop needed. Thanks a million!

Lodging
I don't have confirmation, but I gather one of out intrepid members has negotiated a $65 rate at the DoubleTree in Norwalk CT - IF you identify yourself as being with NEDA. It's worth checking. That hotel used to be a Hilton, and is about 15 minutes from my house, mostly interstate time.

By coincidence, when my youngest was born almost 16 years ago, we had a nasty snow storm and a 7+ day power outtage. So we spent Christmas with a new born (2 weeks old) in that same hotel. It's a decent place.

And nearby in Norwalk is the Marriott Courtyard where aparently they are letting rooms out for $79. And apparently you can get into the Norwalk Inn (if you identify yourself as NEDA) for $79. But no breakfast with that.

Agenda
With a number of people coming from so far, it would be wrong to make this not be worth your while. So while IMO the best part of the gathering is BY FAR the chance to talk to a great group of similar minded (and often VERY WELL informed) discus people, we're gonna try to make to presentation portion of the meeting worth your while too.

The presentation/discussion is going to be around three successive topics:

First - Planted Tanks 101 (everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask)
Second - Discus in Planted Tanks (lots of people do it, now it's YOUR turn)
Third - Aquarium Automation (makes it much easier to have discus in planted tanks ;) )

And we'll use my own documented (and on display) experiences as evidence to back up the discussion.

Everyone may not be interested in all three subjects, which is why they'll each be reasonably brief, but jam-packed with content. So you can pick the one(s) that most appeal to you. :) And chat in a different room with a new found discus buddy during the ones that aren't your cup of tea. ;)

Looking forward to seeing you all. :)

DO PM me if I can assist in any way!

RichT
11-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Count me in for the meeting on Sat. My son and I are looking forward to all the planted tank talks. If there is anything you may not have yet let me know.

Thanks
Rich

DonMD
11-13-2009, 09:00 AM
OK! Momentum builds... Cool!

Don in Virginia - Glad you are in the definite list. Can you post the details on the Craft show? Others traveling here might be interested. Westport generally has decent crafts shows. Not great, but better than your average show. Not gonna see much made out of Popsicle sticks, but lots of stuff you'll be wondering how you can afford. :) :) That's why I discourage my wife from going. Disposable income is supposed to be for fish. ;)

The only details I have on the craft show are what anyone can see here:
http://www.artrider.com/WPT09.html

As for discouraging my wife from going to things like that, I only have one question for you, Steve . . . How long have YOU been married ? ? ?:D

See ya on the 21st.

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
man, I wanna go so bad, maybe I can make it! I just have the worst sense of direction, Iv never driven to CT before, altho westport is only like 3 hours from me. hmmm

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
you know what? i just talked it over with my girl, and I think we are going to come!!! its like 75% right now. Im really excited!! Al, I'll let you know...maybe I can just pick up some of the BH mix at the meeting!!

I'll keep you guys posted! I'll bring some food too if I can make it!! :D:D

Billy Vu
11-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Steve,

Even though I'm relatively new on the forum, I don't want to let this chance go by. I live in Danbury, which is only a 45 minute away! Is there any formal procedure that I have to do in order to come (ex. filling out forms, pay members due, etc.)?

Thanks,
Billy

acroken
11-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Jason,
You have to make it. you will be glad you did. it is only 3 hrs, who doesn't like a road trip:D. Good friends, good food, good beer and discus, man that sounds like a good time to me. I am looking forward to meeting you. I sure hope you come.

Kenny

you know what? i just talked it over with my girl, and I think we are going to come!!! its like 75% right now. Im really excited!! Al, I'll let you know...maybe I can just pick up some of the BH mix at the meeting!!

I'll keep you guys posted! I'll bring some food too if I can make it!! :D:D

scolley
11-14-2009, 09:28 AM
RichT - It'll be great to have you, and your son! I sent you a PM.
Cooldadddyfunk286 - We've got our fingers crossed. ;)
Don in Virginia - Thanks for the link. It's no Smithonian sponsored "Washington Crafts Fair", down near you - the mother of all crafts fairs. But it's a pretty nice show. Like I said, no popsicle stick art.

As for how long have I been married? I dunno. How old is dirt? :D

Steve,

Even though I'm relatively new on the forum, I don't want to let this chance go by. I live in Danbury, which is only a 45 minute away! Is there any formal procedure that I have to do in order to come (ex. filling out forms, pay members due, etc.)?

Thanks,
Billy
I glad you asked. There are four things that are required:

Show up
Be ready to enjoy yourself!
Share your discus experience with new friends

Those are the rules buddy. No exceptions. ;)

brewmaster15
11-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Those of you on the fence about joining us for one of these get togethers...take a look at these threads.... A bit of a blast from the past as to these meetings.....:):D:D:D:D

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72784
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71069
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69784
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67794
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=65945
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=63753

Hard to beat discus social events like this ...:):)

-al

Billy Vu
11-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Steve,

I heard this was going to be a potlock event. Is there anything in particular that you would like me to bring? Now I just have to come up with a good reason for the girlfriend to let me go. I know! I can tell her that I'm writing a paper, after all I'm a grad student! LOL!

Cheers,
Billy

mmorris
11-14-2009, 10:22 AM
If you're in history I have an excuse for you. ;)

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-14-2009, 03:34 PM
wellp, me and my girl Nikki are IN! :D:D:D suuuper excited! cant wait! :)

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Steve,

I heard this was going to be a potlock event. Is there anything in particular that you would like me to bring? Now I just have to come up with a good reason for the girlfriend to let me go. I know! I can tell her that I'm writing a paper, after all I'm a grad student! LOL!

Cheers,
Billy

just talk her into coming with you! thats what I did, altho my girl is reallly excited for it! and she doesnt even keep fish. but its gonna be a great time. shes supportive! ;):D

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Jason,
You have to make it. you will be glad you did. it is only 3 hrs, who doesn't like a road trip:D. Good friends, good food, good beer and discus, man that sounds like a good time to me. I am looking forward to meeting you. I sure hope you come.

Kenny

Kenny, see ya there bro! it'll be great to finally meet you, and thank you in person for those cones!!! :D

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-17-2009, 02:08 PM
if anyone is worried about lodging...I was just able to book a room online at the doubletree in norwalk CT, using NEDA as a sort of promotional/group name discount and got the room for 65 bucks!!! so, whoever hasnt booked a room, or is wondering about one, check out the doubletree...looks like a really nice place for a SUPER price! :D:D:D...mention NEDA its $65...without that, lowest I saw was $100.

scolley
11-17-2009, 07:14 PM
I was just able to book a room online at the doubletree in norwalk CT, using NEDA as a sort of promotional/group name discount and got the room for 65 bucks!!!
Glad to see that worked Jason! Hope set that up for us, and deserves all the credit.

Thanks Hope! It works! :thumbsup:

Momentum is clearly still building. Thanks to all who have contacted me on foodstuffs. I think we're doing pretty well in that regard.

I wanted to mention that I've notices that a number of you are bringing spouses, significant others, etc. Just in case they are interested in things other than Discus, Westport is kind of a minor "destination" and might be amusing to people other than just talking about fish.

Don gave us the link to the Craft's fair - http://www.artrider.com/WPT09.html - which is genuinely a pretty nice show. Not the pinnacle of the arts/crafts world, but definitely very nice. And downtown Westport is also a minor shopping destination. It's kinda small, quaint and cozy. And while it has some of your typical "Gap" type run-of-the-mill places, it has quite a few more that are independently owned shopping jewels. Especially if you are looking for women's clothes or jewelry. (I hope I don't regret saying that.)

If the weather stays warm, a stroll on Compo Beach or a the seashore at Sherwood State Park are both minutes away, and lovely. And - of course - there's the small list of local celebrities that we could try to look up their addresses for if you were interested in a "drive by". Unfortunately Martha Stewart moved out a couple years ago. And Paul Newman died recently. But you still might be able to share a beer with Kieth Richards at the bar at Mario's (or more likely with his dad, that I gather is a regular).

Bottom line - if you're coming with people... there's more to do than just fish.

Looking forward to seeing many of you soon! :)

GrillMaster
11-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Looks like its going to be a great turn out Steve!! Cant wait to see everyone again and meet the new faces... :thumbsup:

BTW...I will bring a few things for a raffle Steve. I still have the raffle tickets. I will bring 2 new Aquaclear 500's, 1 Rex Grigg external reactor, (2) 40G breeder tanks complete with heaters, sponge filter, and egg crate top. I also will bring about a half dozen Hydro Sponge filter bases and and tubes. I am sure I can rustle up a few more things. I know I have a half dozen or so unused heaters. Ashay can be the raffle master! :D

scolley
11-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Looks like its going to be a great turn out Steve!! Cant wait to see everyone again and meet the new faces... :thumbsup:

BTW...I will bring a few things for a raffle Steve. I still have the raffle tickets. I will bring 2 new Aquaclear 500's, 1 Rex Grigg external reactor, (2) 40G breeder tanks complete with heaters, sponge filter, and egg crate top. I also will bring about a half dozen Hydro Sponge filter bases and and tubes. I am sure I can rustle up a few more things. I know I have a half dozen or so unused heaters. Ashay can be the raffle master! :D

Raffle sounds good Mark, my man!

Turn-out's looking up too! I'm too busy trying to finish off my slideshow materials to do another head count, but IMO we're talking about a pretty good crowd. ;) Virginia, Canada (!), Massachusetts, New Jersey, upstate(!) New York... the more the merrier!

Between what's turning out to be a good crowd, lots of snacks, a raffle, a NEDA meeting, 3 different slide shows (plants/discus with plants/automation), dinner, and drinks, this could run over into Sunday. :D Should be much fun. Looking forward to seeing everyone. :)

PS - To manage everyone's expectations... I've trimmed back on my planted tank labors, and have switched from a high-tech tank to a low-tech tank. Which is to say, it should still look OK. But the WOW! effect requires lots of weekly maintenance, and I've down scaled from an average of over an hour each week, to much less than 10 minutes a week. Hopefully it won't disappoint. ;) My slides of tanks past, vs. visual evidence of what I've got today, should actually provide wonderful instructional example of what to expect in the "high-tech" vs. "low-tech" planted tank paths.

scolley
11-18-2009, 11:08 PM
NEWS FLASH!

I just realized... SOMEONE better bring a shrubbery, or it'll be a short meeting! :D

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-18-2009, 11:16 PM
NEWS FLASH!

I just realized... SOMEONE better bring a shrubbery, or it'll be a short meeting! :D

??? what do you mean?!?!? LOL! I think im alittle slow. :p

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-18-2009, 11:33 PM
you guys - not looking for a hand out...but I could REALLY use some Potassium Permanganate and Furanase to keep on hand. If any of you have extra of these and could bring them with, I would gladly buy them off of you. I have a hard time finding these...mainly the PP...Furanase I could get on kensfish.

if anyone can help me with that, would be GREATLY appreciated!

Raffle sounds SUPER fun!!!... I would crap my pants if I left with a new tank setup! ;):D:D

thanks guys, take care. see ya'll soon! :)

acroken
11-19-2009, 12:09 AM
you guys - not looking for a hand out...but I could REALLY use some Potassium Permanganate and Furanase to keep on hand. If any of you have extra of these and could bring them with, I would gladly buy them off of you. I have a hard time finding these...mainly the PP...Furanase I could get on kensfish.

if anyone can help me with that, would be GREATLY appreciated

Raffle sounds SUPER fun!!!... I would crap my pants if I left with a new tank setup! ;):D:D

thanks guys, take care. see ya'll soon! :)

I'll bring you some PP.

Kenny

scolley
11-19-2009, 12:11 AM
...I could REALLY use some Potassium Permanganate... How many tanks full of fish do you need to kill Jason? I can easily give you enough to wipe out 10-20 good sized tanks, and still have enough left for my own needs. ;)

I've got you covered bud.

PP's one of the few discus meds that can actually be beneficial to plants... great dip for new plants. Kills snail eggs on the spot.

blkrob
11-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Is there any chance to get this webcasted? I think I tried to figure this out the last time. I'll ship you some CO. shrubbery.:D
Robert

shawnhu
11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I hope we can make this one!

brewmaster15
11-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Is there any chance to get this webcasted? :D

I don't think its a good idea at this point with the meeting 2 days away.....but maybe down the road...its something I'll bring up at the meeting as I think we should have all in agreement on it.

thanks,
al

David Rose
11-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Hello all:

I had hoped to join everyone, but regrettably there is too much going on with my folks health to break away.

Have a great meeting and safe travels for those of you making the trek!

patrick richard
11-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I hope that everyone has a great time at this meeting. I,m sure Steve will teach you a few things about plants that you never new. It's been alittle busy around the house this month. My new daughter was born on Nov. 9th. I wish I could make it to the meeting to see all my great friends, but the timing is just not right for this one. I will just have to settle for the post that will flow into the forum afterwards.

Have fun everyone.

Patrick

David Rose
11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
I hope that everyone has a great time at this meeting. I,m sure Steve will teach you a few things about plants that you never new. It's been alittle busy around the house this month. My new daughter was born on Nov. 9th. I wish I could make it to the meeting to see all my great friends, but the timing is just not right for this one. I will just have to settle for the post that will flow into the forum afterwards.

Have fun everyone.

Patrick

CONGRATULATIONS to you Patrick and the Mrs.! What did you name her?

patrick richard
11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi David,

Thank you, we named her Madison Lee.

Have a great time on Saturday with some amazing people.

Patrick

dpt8
11-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey Patrick, This is another Dave :9) Congratulations to you and wifey on your new baby... Lots of water changes for your fish and diaper changes for Maddie.. hehe Enjoy !!

I still hope to visit you to check out your new fish room !! Maybe we can make it to the winter meeting.. Take care Patrick

Disgirl
11-19-2009, 11:27 PM
I sure hope somebody has a camera and takes pictures of all the fun to show to the rest of us!!!
Barb:D

scolley
11-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi David,

Patrick

Hi David,

Patrick

Congrats Patrick! We will miss your smiling face. But we're thrilled to hear about Madison Lee. You can tell us all about her at another meeting soon!

I sure hope somebody has a camera and takes pictures of all the fun to show to the rest of us!!!
Barb:D
Good point! :shocked: As the recent lack of pics in my threads will attest, my camera has gone to the long home. And spare hobby funds have gone to other places than replacing dead cameras. So I'm camera-less.

Hope someone brings one. :)

patrick richard
11-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Dave and Steve. I know you guys will have a great time. Dave you are welcome to stop buy anytime. Let me know when ever you are in the area.

Patrick

dmun24
11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
HI ALL LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE A GREAT EVENT HAVE TO WORK SWIM MEET TAKE PICS DENNIS

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll be bringing a camera, and taking lots of pics! :D:D ...but dont put it ALL on me! ;) suuuper excited for tomorrow!!!

Kenny and Steve - thanks in advance for the PP! thank you! just need to have some on hand, just good to have it.

GrillMaster
11-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Gonna miss ya Patrick!! Congrats with your new daughter my friend! :thumbsup:

Between diaper changes and WC's... Yer gonna be a busy man! ;) :D :D

Eddie
11-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Is there any chance to get this webcasted? I think I tried to figure this out the last time. I'll ship you some CO. shrubbery.:D
Robert

Robert, this would be the business! If we could get the thing webcasted, it would be the World Wide discus meeting!!!! I vote for this on the next meeting!

These NEDA meetings always look like a hit. Everybody be safe on the roads and take care!

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Steve, can you post, or PM me your phone number incase I need directions?? Im doin my best with mapquest and google maps lol, but I'd like to be able to call you, ya know?!

thanks man! see everyone tomorrow!!! if anyone can bring me some BH mix to buy, if you arent coming from too far... PM ME!!!

cant wait! see everyone around 3, we are gonna goto the hotel first. how far is the doubletree in norwalk from you Steve??

thanks! take care.

scolley
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
If anyone needs my number, please let me know and I'll PM you. But honestly, this Google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+peaceful+lane+westport+ct&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=1+Peaceful+Ln,+Westport,+CT+06880&gl=us&ei=-OrRSrLpKYitlAeNqtioCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA) is pretty easy... Just back out a bit so you can see the highway you are coming in from... It'll likely be either I-95 or route 15 (Merritt Parkway).

Looking at that map, I do see that the exit numbers don't show in all magnification levels. So here's my lame attempt at turn by turn direction from the highways. These are NOT all the shortest ways to my place, but they are the simplest. ;)

From the Merrit (eastbound or westbound)

Get off on exit 42.
Turn south on Route 57 (Weston Road). If you had been traveling eastbound on the Merritt, that's a left turn off the exit ramp. If travelling west on the Merritt, that's a right turn off the exit ramp.
Almost as soon as you turn onto Weston road, you'll see it fork off to the right. DON'T take the fork. Keep going straight toward the stop sign.
Go through the stop, and at the 2nd stop sign take a left onto Cross Highway (just a road called a highway). ;)
After 50 yards or so, turn right onto Roseville Road
Follow Roseville until you go around a sharp turn and up a small, but steep, hill.
Turn right onto Whitney Street as you go up that hill.
Peaceful Lane is the 4th or 5th street on the right (some of those streets are hard to notice).
Turn right onto Peaceful Lane.
My house is the 2nd driveway on the right. Park in the drive or on the street.

From I-95 Southbound

Take exit 18.
At the end of the ramp turn right onto Sherwood Island Connector.
Go through 2 lights (I think) and proceed until you come to a "T" at US1, also referred to as "the Post Road".
Turn left onto the Post Road.
Just before you get to McDonalds on the right, turn right onto Roseville Road.
Follow Roseville until you get to the stop sign.
Go left at the stop, onto Whitney Street.
Peaceful Lane is the 4th or 5th street on the right (some of those streets are hard to notice).
Turn right onto Peaceful Lane.

From I-95 Northbound

The easiest thing you can do is follow the direction above for I-95 Southbound. It's a little longer, but a lot easier.
The only difference is that at the end of the off ramp, go left. And you may go through 3 or 4 stop lights on the Sherwood Island Connector until you get to the Post Road.
If you decide to go the shorter route, get off I-95 on exit 17.
Left off the exit ramp onto Route 33, Riverside Avenue.
Follow Riverside a long way (2 miles?) until you get to US1, the Post Road.
Turn right onto the Post Road.
Follow the post road across the river, through town, and up a hill until you see Compo Road North on the left.
Go left onto Compo Road North.
Immediately look for a little street on the right - East Main Street.
Turn right onto East Main Street. Proceed to the stop sign.
Turn left at the stop onto Whitney Street.
Peaceful Lane is the 2nd street on the left.
Turn left onto Peaceful Lane.

And for anyone at the DoubleTree, while the map may show you a more direct route - I'd recommend getting on I-95 and heading east to exit 17 (then follow the direction from above.)

Looking forward to seeing you folks soon!

acroken
11-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Jason,
pm sent on the hearts.
15 hours and counting. It is going to be a blast!

Kenny

scolley
11-21-2009, 08:35 AM
how far is the doubletree in norwalk from you Steve?
Sorry Jason, shoulda mentioned... it's about 10-15 minutes, depending on lights and traffic.

See you guys later today! :)

csarkar001
11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
am under the weather and will not be able to make it today. :-(

have fun ...

chandan

scolley
11-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Sorry to hear it Chandan. :( Hope you feel better soon.

Maybe next time.

scolley
11-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Folks - Just got word that cameras may be in shorter supply than I hoped. Pls bring one if you can - and are willing to snap a pic or ten.

Thanks.

scolley
11-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Wow! Lot's of old face, many new faces. All friends now. It's cool to learn something at NEDA meetings, and I learned something... when it's your turn to host one of these - declare it a pot luck! We've got more food, wine, chips, meatballs, wings, brownies, dip... you name it!

We'll be eating leftovers for a week! Snack foods even longer, and the wine/beer... it better take us a WHILE to go through all of that that was left behind.

Everyone. Thank you. When I asked for food and beverage help, I should have asked for just a little. I'm new at this, but now I know... your generosity is overwhelming, and you all brought too much. Thank you though. There was no WAY we were going to run out of anything - you made sure of it. Thank you. I'm both grateful and humbled. What is it about discus people that makes them so nice?

We had a good crowd. While I never counted, it was a pretty rolicking turn out for a simple little fall meeting. I'm looking forward to pics.

Al - our spiritual leader was unable to make it. But sometimes other affairs conflict with our best laid hobby plans. He was sorely missed.

And speaking of "sorely", I hope that was not how people's tuckuses felt after planted-tank death-by-PowerPoint. Honest to goodness, I timed those presentations, and they were supposed to take 1/2 as long. I honestly never figured on so many questions. If I'd tried to cover half as much, maybe we'd have gotten through it all. Sorry about that.

But it was wonderful to have you all over, and chat about planted tanks, discus, and automation. It was a treat, and a wonderful way to see my old pals, and make some new ones!

PS - Pretty decent weather too, huh?

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-22-2009, 01:49 AM
My girl and I had a GREAT time!! :D:D It was great to finally meet all of you!! :) Im posting from the hotel LOL.

Steve, Kenny, Martha, Mark, Don, Rich, Ashay, Billy...and anyone else I may have missed (after a decent day of drinking), it was honestly a pleasure to meet all of you and chat! also great seeing some new discus hobbyists and forum members! I was glad I could offer some advise even tho Im pretty new myself...amazing what Simply can teach you in a year! I cant wait for the future meetings...count me in! :D

thanks again Steve for hosting this. you have a beautiful home, and a great welcoming family! cool dog too! ;)

over all a really great time. this area of Conn. is awesome, cant wait to see the Maritime Aquarium tomorrow! only 2 miles from the hotel...thruout this whole trip...I must say...thank god for GPS! ;):D

take care everyone, hope you all had a safe trip.

*PS* I forgot my damn camera at the hotel before I left for Steves...altho I was able to snap some cool pics of his huuuge acrylic planted tank with my girls camera phone...Ill have those uploaded in no time...altho martha should have even NICER pics to post! ;)

-Jason-

GrillMaster
11-22-2009, 09:01 AM
I would like to start off by saying thanks to Steve and his lovely wife Maureen for hosting this get together! Two of the nicest most hospitable people I have had the pleasure to spend time with!

Steves planted 180G is truly a sight to behold as well as the occupants. It is no dought, at least for me, the center piece of a beautiful home!

Seems like every time we all get together there is always to much food and this meeting definitely followed suit...:D

It was a pleasure seeing the familiar faces as well as the new ones! I am looking forward to the next one already! :thumbsup:

The PT 101 with discus slide show Steve created was excellent! Alot of time went into the preparation without a dought! Of course I wouldn't have expected anything less from Steve. He is very passionate about whatever he puts his mind to and always puts 110% into it!! A few more "asterisks" would have been lovely!! ;) :D :D :D

Good food, great friends, and an aw some time was had by all! Thanks again Steve and Maureen

ashaysathe
11-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Fantastic , warm and cosy get together.

Many Many thanks to Maureen, Steve and their son for hosting an event like this on a nearly perfect November day. Superb..

Tanks, fish, Steve's knwoledge about planted tank - unparalleled. Forget about 90 mins slide shows, even those days wouldn't be enough. Thanks Steve for taking the time in "zipping" the knowledge to induce kinda booster dose.

Al was sorely missed. You have our best wishes.

Besides all of that one more thing that one couldn't stop doing was "eat" - there was sooo muuuuuccch..

Nice meeting everyone face-to-face - All of you, All of us make a gr8 unit - takes hobby to a new level.

Thanks Steve and Maureen for the being a gracious host. Its always nice meeting and talking to you Steve. Will C U Soon

Cheers

Billy Vu
11-22-2009, 09:51 AM
First of all, I would like to say thank you to Steve and Maureen for hosting an awsome meeting. This was my first discus get together and I'm definately looking forward to the next one already! We should do this more often, instead of once a quarter, how about once a month? Mark, the wings were absolutely delicious and thanks for the breeder tank. Now I just have to save some money for a breeder pair. haha. Steve, that was an awsome presentation and I definately learned alot. I think the timing was not an issue because having people ask questions definately ehances the experience and there is no doubt in my mind that alot of work went into that slide show. It was a pleasure meeting everybody. Great food, friends, and weather. What more can I ask for?

Cheers,
Billy

Tofe
11-22-2009, 11:57 AM
I would like to start by thanking Maureen, Steve and their son for hosting this meeting at their beautiful home. :D Their hospitality was unbelievable and as usual with all these events there was plenty of food and drink.

Steve's 180gal discus/planted tank is unbeilevable. You need to see it in person to get the full effect. Well done Steve.

Steve put together a great informative slide show. With the slide show and his knowledge of planted tanks I learned alot at this meeting. Many people asked questions and participated in the conversation. :D:D

Steve thanks for taking the time at the end of the meeting to go over your tank automation. It was great discussing planted tanks, discus/plants and automation with you and Shawn. :):)

Finally it was great meeting some new discus friends and old ones.

See you all soon

Brian (Tofe)

subcooler
11-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry I had to miss the meeting yesterday-I'm sure a great time was had by all!
Anxiously awaiting the pics to post!

Peace,
Rob

RichT
11-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Steve and Maureen, what can I say that hasn't been said already? Two exceptional hosts who made everyone feel very comfortable in their wonderful home. Much food, much talk, always great to make new and renew relationships in this wonderful hobby.

Steve what a great power point presentation on planted tanks. Learned a lot. Carson says they look real cool. I'll have him work on Mom so we can get another tank.

Maureen, a special thank you goes to you for extending a truly warm welcome to Carson. You really made him feel comfortable in your home. You really succeeded because before we made the left off of Peaceful Ln. to go home I heard " Hey Dad when are we coming back here? "

Thanks again for a wonderful day and we'll see everyone at the next meeting.
Rich

mmorris
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I had a wonderful time and the presentation was fascinating! Steve's planted tank is absolutely gorgeous. There were lots of good friends, old and new, and I think it fair to say noone went away hungry! Many thanks, Steve and Maureen! As promised, pics! :D
Auntie Martha

mmorris
11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
More:

mmorris
11-22-2009, 08:59 PM
And more:

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-23-2009, 01:24 AM
nice pics!! heres a few camera phone shots of Steves fish. I LOVED these cobalts...they were big and thick...awesome blues for sure!

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/party1.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/party2.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/party3.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/party4.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/party5.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/party6.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/party7.jpg

Eddie
11-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Those blues are gorgeous Steve!

Take care,

Eddie

Ed13
11-23-2009, 09:07 AM
WOW, looks like it was a blast! Great job Steve!

David Rose
11-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Great shots Martha and Jason...thanks for sharing! Looks and sounds like it was an awesome meeting!

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
It was an awesome meeting! I wish I didnt forget my camera at the hotel!! I woulda had waaaay more pics of the meeting to post. :( either way, good pics were taken...martha got some good shots, I know don in virginia got some good ones on his camera that Im sure he'll post. group shots. :D

I had a great time. the food was awesome, and everyone was so friendly. it was a blast. Im really looking forward to future meetings. it was great meeting everyone and chatting. some new faces too (every face was new to me, but you know :p)

the raffle was sweet. Kenny won an AC110...Billy won a sweet 40 gal. tank setup. some good stuff. Rich got the ozone thingamajig :D ...all around good time. Steves monster planted tank had everyone in a trans for a while too, beautiful tank! :)

brewmaster15
11-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Sounds like it was a great get together...I really wished I could have gotten there...but unfortunately my wife's Grandfather had been in the hospital and took a turn for the worst....so my attention had to be turned elsewhere.... The hospital felt his time was short here.....sadly he passed away yesterday but at the long lived age of 96.:(. He had a very good and healthy life up until very recently...I can only hope to do as well as I age. Needless to say, we'll miss him.

My apologies to all of you that I had planned on seeing there...Raincheck for another time..I promise.

Steve and Maureen, Thanks for hosting this event... and to all of you that attended it... Thanks for making the time to meet, greet and talk fish. Hope we can all get together soon.

take care,
Al

David Rose
11-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Sorry to hear Al...same here as I posted earlier with my folk's. I hope there is improvement very soon!

I'm already looking forward to the next meeting given the updates and success at Steve and Maureen's.

DonMD
11-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Steve Colley . . .

Maureen . . .

Thank you so much for your generosity and hospitality - letting all these FISH NUTS into your house! Good grief.

I did take a few shots - still trying to learn how to use the darn camera. But, I'll post a few shots here.

Steve, I've got lots of questions, I'll be posting them. GREAT PRESENTATION! I am sorry that I had to pull up stakes before the "automation" presentation, but believe it or not, the "Planted Tanks 101" was for me, outstanding. The sharing of ideas and experiences trumps all the good food and beer/wine (well, barely . . .)

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Im sorry to hear that too Al, I've been in your shoes pleanty of times, it sucks. :(:(

you missed a good one! even tho it was my first one, I know that it wasnt the same without Al there. I hope to meet you soon man! PM me on the surf and turf mix. I would like to buy some. let me know Al.

take care my friend, my reguards to you and your family.

thanks Al.

DonMD
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM
And Steve,

We'll need to figure out how to get copies of your PowerPoint presentation. Seriously, there's tons of great info there, can you post it for all of us?

And here are a few shots of the happy campers!

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-23-2009, 06:58 PM
great pics Don! ...whos that handsome young man in that black rugby jersey??!!? ;):p:D

I cant stress enough how cool I thought the meeting was. I was happy to meet all of you guys, RichT...I think its cool you got your son on board with Discus. and Mark, those wings were AMAZING! my girl and I were in honey BBQ wing heaven!! really great of you to donate all that stuff to the raffle too, real cool dude! :)

who made those meatballs?! they were AWESOME!! remember? the meatballs in kind of the whitish sauce?? ...awesome ;)

Ashay had me laughin all night, and it was real cool talking with Martha, Rich, Don and everyone else. nice meeting Billy and TFH. glad I finally got to meet Kenny (acroken) and thank him personally for the breeding cones!

I think it was perfect having this meeting at Steves place. his house is so beautiful, and his family so welcoming. SUPER cool and knowledgable guy! I really learned alot in the power points! thanks again for everything!

just trying to paint a picture for anyone who didnt make it. cant wait for the next one! ;):D

take care everyone!

Billy Vu
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Al,

Although it was unfortunate that you could not make it, however, our thoughts and prayers goes out to you and your family. Hope all is well.

All the best,
Billy

mmorris
11-25-2009, 09:21 AM
who made those meatballs?! they were AWESOME!! remember? the meatballs in kind of the whitish sauce?? ...awesome ;)

!

They were Auntie Martha's famous meatballs. :D Many thanks! It was great talking with you too, Jason.

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I thought so! man, those were some of the best meatballs I've tried...really different than your standard "red" meatball. :D Def. great talking with you too Martha, I had a blast!

take care. :)

acroken
11-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I really want to thank Maureen and Steve for a perfect day. It was a great time filled with good food and friends. The food was out of this world. The presentation Steve put on about planted tanks was brilliant. Steve is such a great guy and crazy SMART. Even though planted tanks are not my thing it was very informative. As always it is nice to see some new and old simply members. We are all so luck to have a community like Simply. Steve's tanks were remarkable. The automation and technology he incorporates into his tank set ups is something you would see at NASA, if they were into this kinda thing;) I am looking forward to the next one.

Kenny with his new friend
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss50/acroken/IMG_1808.jpg

scolley
11-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Folks, your kind words were not necessary, though appreciated all the same. I feel comfortable in saying that Maureen has been welcoming of my hobby, in a very large part, because of the wonderful people she has met through it. Thank you VERY much for reinforcing that opinion. She had a nice time, enjoyed meeting you (as did I!), and I have no doubt that she will be even MORE tolerant of my next discus purchase because of you. ;) Thank you!

The pics are great! Thanks folks. We knew we were camera limited going into the event. I like two shots in particular... One is the group shot. But for the record (and for those of you not able to make it), there was a decent number of people that were either not interested in having their photo taken (I should have stuck with them), or were temporarily away from the meeting, to return later.

The other shot I like is "Kenny's new friend", our dog "Buddy". He's a sweet dog, and a VERY good boy. If he licked any of you - PLEASE accept my apologies! I tried to warn people. But for every bit his breath stinks, his heart is pure gold. He's the definitive "good dog".

I said I'd distribute the slide show Don, and here it is... follow this link (http://www.colley.org/images/Plants – Discus – Tank Automation - NEDA Fall 2009 - no tech - v2.pdf) to bring it up. Or maybe right-click if you want to download a copy. To review the slides themselves, it seems like two VERY short presentations! Not much content in the slides themselves. :( It's all the extra conversations and questions that turned what I though would be short slide shows into lengthy presentations. Sorry about that. :embarassed:

I've modified it to correct the errors I caught in the meeting. And I removed all the references to Aquarium Automation. Not that I'm holding back on that topic. But we didn't get a chance to cover it in the meeting, and it should be a good topic for some future meeting some day. In the interim, you've had a glimpse of what automation can provide (a large, decent looking, planted discus tank that takes next to no maintenance) and I'm happy to field questions - either in this thread (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=58151), or a PM. But I prefer the thread... that way everyone benefits from the discourse.

It's cool to learn something new at NEDA meetings, and I learned something this time! When it's your turn to host one of these - declare it a pot luck! :D We were left with more food, wine, chips, golf fish, meatballs, wings, brownies, dip, bottled water... you name it! We were eating leftovers all week! Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and we STILL have leftover food in the fridge! And that's after inviting friends over Sunday for a "Help Us Eat All This Food" party. LOL! Your generosity was enormous. My requests for food/beverage help... clearly excessive. Thank you though! My belt is happy that it's finally been able to move up to a - thus far never used - brand new buckle hole. ;)

I've been associated with a number of different on-line communities - forums - as some of you know. And make no mistake about it, the people on SimplyDiscus... the same people attending NEDA meetings - are the nicest people I've met in the aquarium hobby. It was a honor to host the meeting, and a pleasure to have you in our home.

Don't be strangers. :) It was fun!

DonMD
11-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi, Steve,

I think you are worrying too much about the length of your powerpoint presentations. It's OK that they ran longer than your estimate. All the questions really added value to it, I think. Often, someone else's question made you think about things you might not have otherwise. Great presentation.

Only problem: I can't access it, either by clicking on the link, or trying to save it. Can you verify that it's uploaded on the host site correctly?

I do have one question about your fabulous tank. Seeing that you don't vacuum the substrate anymore, so as not to disturb the sand, do you have to worry about any bulidup of anaerobic bacteria?

Thanks again, Steve, we had a blast! -Don

scolley
11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I can no longer edit that post Don. But try this link to the NEDA Fall 2009 presentation (http://www.colley.org/images/NEDA-Fall2009-notech-v2.pdf) instead. It should work.

Had to rename the file... Should work now. :)

Organic Farmer
11-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for taking the time to repost.That is some great info.

DonMD
11-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Got it, Steve:) Thanks very much, it is great to have this as a reference!

ChloroPhil
11-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I've been associated with a number of different on-line communities - forums - as some of you know. And make no mistake about it, the people on SimplyDiscus... the same people attending NEDA meetings - are the nicest people I've met in the aquarium hobby.

Awww, man, it looks like I missed a great presentation. Are you going to be going to the NADA convention this summer Steve?

Cheers,
Phil

scolley
11-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey Phil! The one in Irvine TX? I seriously doubt it. Though I see that a Mr. Al Sabetta will be a guest speaker! I've never even been to a AGA convention, much less NADA.

Sorry. Hobby convention money isn't in the vacation budget. The long-suffering-wife prefers beach type destinations instead. I don't get it either. What's her problem? ;)

ChloroPhil
11-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey Phil! The one in Irvine TX? I seriously doubt it. Though I see that a Mr. Al Sabetta will be a guest speaker! I've never even been to a AGA convention, much less NADA.

Sorry. Hobby convention money isn't in the vacation budget. The long-suffering-wife prefers beach type destinations instead. I don't get it either. What's her problem? ;)

Tell her that you'll save money going to the AGA and NADA next year. You're welcome to shack up at my place for the NADA and the AGA rooms are going to be fairly affordable this time around. If we have the money the wife may be headed to MACNA. I'll hold that over her head and suggest she let me go to AGA alone. :D That way I'll be able to share a room. :angel:

I'm looking out for you!

Phil

PS: I've got a Kahuna in the works now. Go check it out in the planted forum. MUAHAHAHAHAHA

scolley
11-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the kind offer Phil. But I'm gonna pass on the shows. Thank you though! :)

I'll need to stop over at the other forum... everyone needs their own Kahuna! ;)

GrillMaster
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Steve...Ya know yer gonna have to bring the crock pot and the raffle tickets to the next meetin... :)

The winter meetin might be at Al's place and you wont really have to far to drive...;) :D :D :D

ChloroPhil
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Grillmaster,

Did you have a parochial education? You seem well versed with the guilt trip. :)

GrillMaster
12-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Grillmaster,

Did you have a parochial education? You seem well versed with the guilt trip. :)

I wasn't aware that one of the parishes curiculum was guilt trips :confused:

I merely attended public schools and acquired that trait on my own I guess. :)

DISCUS USA
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Looks like it was lots of fun..nice fish !!

Moon
12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 35th Annual Convention is scheduled for Feb 26-28, 2010 in Cromwell, CT.
Might be a good time to schedule the winter meeting of this group.

Joe

Billy Vu
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering when is the next NEDA meeting? I had such a great time at Steve's house for the Fall meeting. Can somebody send me a pm of the date, time, etc. of the next meeting or reply in this thread.

All the best,
Billy