PDA

View Full Version : Week #19, Water Change #19.... All is well!

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Well another week has gone by and all is well with the contest discus. Although I have been busy with life's challenges, work and the new fish room I haven't skimped on my once a week cleaning of the contest tank. Still performing maintenance once weekly with 50% to 80% water changes each time. Fertilizers added for the plants and a quick check of the KH for adjusting the CO2 injection if necessary. That's about it. I took a bunch of pictures!

Enjoy!

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 01:13 AM
And more....

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 01:15 AM
And some more....

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 01:16 AM
More.... LOL!

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 01:17 AM
A few more.... wish I could put more than 5 at a time! LOL!

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 01:18 AM
and more still.....

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Almost done! :D

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 01:20 AM
And the last. Thanks for looking!

Best wishes!

Scribbles
10-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Your discus look super Chad! I love their shapes. Pictures look great too. Keep up the good work.

Chris

rickztahone
10-16-2009, 03:19 AM
question for you Avionics, LOL, j/k. seriously though...would you say that the color that your discus display in the pictures is accurate in regards to how they look in real life? i remember when i saw the albino's at Bill's and i was shocked at how different they looked from pics i've seen. but i've noticed that different albino's have different hue's.

Eddie
10-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Very nice Chad, they look great! Nice... big, and beautiful, love their color too. Awesome work!

Eddie

TankWatcher
10-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Couldn't wish for a better looking bunch of albinos :thumbsup:

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Your discus look super Chad! I love their shapes. Pictures look great too. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I'll keep doing what I'm doing! ;)

question for you Avionics, LOL, j/k. seriously though...would you say that the color that your discus display in the pictures is accurate in regards to how they look in real life? i remember when i saw the albino's at Bill's and i was shocked at how different they looked from pics i've seen. but i've noticed that different albino's have different hue's.

The pics that I took are pretty accurate. Pictures can sometimes skew the color. If you recall early on in this very competition there was one contestant that had VERY orange fish. After a couple of camera adjustments, that wasn't the csae. The camera was casting an orange hue.

Onother thing that I have noticed is that tetra color bits DEFINATELY influence the color of these fish. I was using them early on in an auto feeder for a mid day feeding and they were much more orange than they are today. When they were on the color bits, they almost looked juiced. LOL! The color was crazy orange!

The albinos that I have from Bill are very bright yellow right now. They are about 3". I saw the parents and they were more of a mellow yellow color. I am assuming that as they age the color will become lees vivid. Right now these babies are nearly blinding to look at. It's sort of crazy!

Hope that nswers your question!

Very nice Chad, they look great! Nice... big, and beautiful, love their color too. Awesome work!

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! I really appreciate the compliments!

Safe travels!

Couldn't wish for a better looking bunch of albinos :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Best wishes!

Sharkbait
10-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Nicely done, Chad! What would you say the size is at right now? You feed 3 times a day, right? I forget what it is that you feed. Pellets...flakes...NLS?

calihawker
10-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Great job Chad, Love the pics!

To comment on the colors, I have one that has the dark orange hue (avatar pic), one that is very yellow and the rest are in between. I feed the tetra color bits 3 times a day so I'm not so sure that is the cause for the colors. I kinda wish it was cause I like the darker color. Is'nt Kennys group all darker orange? I'll have to go check and see what he's are feeding.

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Nicely done, Chad! What would you say the size is at right now? You feed 3 times a day, right? I forget what it is that you feed. Pellets...flakes...NLS?

Yes, three times daily. Twice with home made beefheart (morning and evening) and once with an atuo feeder (pellets). The pellets that I feed are non color enhancing. I wanted to get the true color of the fish without influencing them through feed. As of last measurement, 5.54". I's say they are 6" + today.

Great job Chad, Love the pics!

To comment on the colors, I have one that has the dark orange hue (avatar pic), one that is very yellow and the rest are in between. I feed the tetra color bits 3 times a day so I'm not so sure that is the cause for the colors. I kinda wish it was cause I like the darker color. Is'nt Kennys group all darker orange? I'll have to go check and see what he's are feeding.

That is odd Steve. I observed that most took on a very strong orange color with color bits. I did have lighter ones in the group, but still orange in color. Now that they are not eating any foods that enhance color, they all look the same. I honestly didn't realize it until I ran out of the color bits and switched to an ON pellet.

Best wishes!

calihawker
10-16-2009, 11:29 PM
That is odd Steve. I observed that most took on a very strong orange color with color bits. I did have lighter ones in the group, but still orange in color. Now that they are not eating any foods that enhance color, they all look the same. I honestly didn't realize it until I ran out of the color bits and switched to an ON pellet.

It's interesting that you say the colors were varied when you fed TCB and became uniform when you stopped. Maybe as an experiment I will stop using it as well and see what happens. I have to find something they like just as well though. They LOVE TCB.

Chad Hughes
10-16-2009, 11:32 PM
It's interesting that you say the colors were varied when you fed TCB and became uniform when you stopped. Maybe as an experiment I will stop using it as well and see what happens. I have to find something they like just as well though. They LOVE TCB.

I'll be honest with you Steve, mine loved them too and they certainly don't take off fter the new pellet as they did with the TCB. They eat it, just not with the gusto they did with TCB or the beefheart mix. I can't say that I ever had one quite as orange as Nacho, but then again they only got the bits once a day.

Best wishes!

kirkp
10-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Chad, Lookin' good my man. Very uniform in size and color. There was only one unfortunate thing I saw and that was THE PICTURES WERE TOO SMALL. :)

Kirk

Chad Hughes
10-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Chad, Lookin' good my man. Very uniform in size and color. There was only one unfortunate thing I saw and that was THE PICTURES WERE TOO SMALL. :)

Kirk

Hey Kirk!

Sorry about the picture size. My camera, at it's lowest setting, takes HUGE pictures. LOL! I edit them through microsoft picture editor to get the size small enough that it will upload to SD. It's the fastest and easiest way I have found but does result in some small shots.

Hope you are well! Have a great weekend!

Lytehouse
10-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Chad,

pics are great.

Fish are beautiful in shape and color.

1 question... Have they filled in considerably since you last posted. They just seem to me to be a lot thicker..... or is it just me?

Chad Hughes
10-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Chad,

pics are great.

Fish are beautiful in shape and color.

1 question... Have they filled in considerably since you last posted. They just seem to me to be a lot thicker..... or is it just me?

Thanks Lynn!

Yes, they have filled out. Very healthy and happy! It's not just you. :p

Best wishes!

fishyj
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
As usual beautiful fish and set up. You are doing a great job.

Chad Hughes
10-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks so much Jim! Same to you! :)

Best wishes!

acroken
10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Chad, Love everything about them. Color and shape is perfect. They sure look happy and healthy. Very Very nice.

Kenny

Chad Hughes
10-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Chad, Love everything about them. Color and shape is perfect. They sure look happy and healthy. Very Very nice.

Kenny

Thanks for the compliments Kenny! I can't really say that I have done anything too special. It'a ll in the genes! :)

Thanks again and take care!

seasiderick
10-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Looking great Chad keep up the good work take care Rick.

Armandi_Fishcarer
10-27-2009, 02:43 AM
Chad, I just looking at this tank display. The fish are fabulous, keep up the good job! :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Chad Hughes
10-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Thank you Ahmed!

Best wishes!

discusjoe27
11-15-2009, 11:20 PM
looks like they are doing good, those are albino right.

rickztahone
11-16-2009, 03:23 AM

right...

Chad Hughes
11-16-2009, 02:24 PM

Yes sir!