PDA

View Full Version : One discus's gill is clamped. Help.

Schergeil
10-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I have 19 discus and all are fine. It is just one discus that has been behaving strange lately. I just noticed that one of its gill is clamped while it is breathing from the other. I only have access to formalin, pp, methelyne blue and salt... I would like someone to guide me on how to treat it?

I need advise urgently....

Eddie
10-16-2009, 05:47 PM
See post #2 for Formalin

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=73531&highlight=formalin

Before you treat with Formalin, best to eliminate possible causes. What are your water parameters and what temp is your tank? Do you have adequate air in the tank?

Eddie

Schergeil
10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey thanks Eddie, is formalin safe? What do you suggest I do, give him a long term bath or short term? Alone or with the rest?

Eddie
10-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey thanks Eddie, is formalin safe? What do you suggest I do, give him a long term bath or short term? Alone or with the rest?

Formalin is very strong, I suggest you eliminate water issues and o2 issues first.

One gill function is not gonna kill the fish so it not an emergency. Try fixing the issue without meds/chemicals as rule of thumb.

What size is the tank? You said you had 19 discus, what age/size? Lots of variables to look at.

Eddie

Schergeil
10-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I bought 19 discus, size was 4-4.5cm each.. now they are 6-6.5cm all are from Malaysia. They are in a 60 gallon tank. Keep changing water every 2-3 days, 90 %. Feeding them beefheart and frozen brineshrimps.. water is aged tap water.

I've attached a picture of them.

Eddie
10-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Okay, so what about filtration?

Is there adequate air?

Are there any other symptoms aside from the one fish and one gill function? Is there any darting, scratching, flashing or flicking of the fins?

What is the tank temperature?

Eddie

Schergeil
10-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I have a tray filter which filters 800ltrs per hour, based on the power head I have. I have a sponge filter on the other end and have an additional air stone. I believe there is enough air as I havent seen the fish gasping for air at the top or vigorous breathing movements.
Well only sometimes I see one or two here and there who flick themselves against the bottom or the side, that is only when I feed them. Never have I seen them do that besides feeding timings....

Schergeil
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
tank temp is 32 degrees C

Eddie
10-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Okay, how about dropping the temp to about 86F. You have the temp up close to 90F now which is a bit high. If....just saying if the fish is having a start of bacterial gill disease, the high temp will cause the bacteria to multiply faster. Something else, try adding some ordinary salt, about 2 tbsp/10 gallons and see if this has any affect on the fish.

Also, how many times a day are feeding?

Eddie

Schergeil
10-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I'll try to do that. I'm feeding them 4 times a day....
Do you think dropping the temp would help eradicating whatever is causing this?

Eddie
10-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I'll try to do that. I'm feeding them 4 times a day....
Do you think dropping the temp would help eradicating whatever is causing this?

No, there is not really such a thing as eradicating anything from a living aquatic environment. This can however, reduce proliferation of both parasite and bacteria alike. This will help in reducing stress on the fish. If the fish keeps only using one gill, and you can tell that is definitely stressed out, might go for a treatment at that point. Another good thing to do at this point, would be to increase water changes to maybe every other day for a week or 2, wiping the tank down well and possibly reducing the number of bugs in the tank.

Eddie

Schergeil
10-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Eddie, is the tank size enough to grow these discus ? Can you give me any suggestions on this?
Secondly, as you said to drop the temp, I just went to switch off the heater and noticed that the same discus was breathing fast but now from both gills and not only one.......

Eddie
10-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Eddie, is the tank size enough to grow these discus ? Can you give me any suggestions on this?
Secondly, as you said to drop the temp, I just went to switch off the heater and noticed that the same discus was breathing fast but now from both gills and not only one.......

Dont switch off the heater, just adjust it down to a lower temp. Dont stress, young fish breath fast, last thing you want to do is jump the gun and actually cause more harm than good. PLEASE do not treat the fish without advice, there are guidelines/preparations to be considered for EVERY med/chemical. Using them at the inappropriate time, can kill all your fish.

As far as growing the fish out in that size tank, I am sure you can, just need to keep the tank clean, provide plenty of fresh clean water and good food.

Eddie

Schergeil
10-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Switching off the heater would only decrease 1 or 2 centigrades due to that room temp. I won't treat the fishes for the moment... will keep a close eye and get the water right. If then I see something.. I'll come back for your advise!

Thanks a loads!
Tc

Eddie
10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Anytime!

All the best,

Eddie