PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Soil Master Select

jerzguy
10-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi,
I am planning to upgrade to 125 gallon from 72 gallon and I am going to use soil master select as the substrate(I got the substate with the tank). I am using Flora Base (Red Sea) curretly in my 72 gallon and dont want to use that in my new tank. My question is since the color of the soil master select is little dark can I put some white color stone/gravel on top the soil? Like 2 inches of soil and 1/2 inch of white color small stone/gravel? Is this ok? Please advice.

Thanks

Chad Hughes
10-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Ive done that before. Not with the exact same soil that you are using, but two different substrates layered for effect.

I would use sand as the top layer. Regular play sand works great and it will keep the underlying substrrate in place. The biggest issue with layered substrates is that at some point the mix. Either from replanting or the acossional accidental siphon going a bit too deep wjhile cleaning, you are bound to bring some of the bottom layer to the top. This isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes the mix doesn't look half bad.

Anyway, yes it can be done. How you do it is sort of your decision based on what you want. IMO I wold not use gravel on the top.

Hope that helps!

jerzguy
10-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Chad,
Thank you for your comments. The only reason I am trying to mix is, the color of Soil master select is dull and dark and if I put something bright on the top layer it will bring the best color of discus. WIll it be a problem in cleaning and water change?

Thanks

Chad Hughes
10-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Chad,
Thank you for your comments. The only reason I am trying to mix is, the color of Soil master select is dull and dark and if I put something bright on the top layer it will bring the best color of discus. WIll it be a problem in cleaning and water change?

Thanks

It really shouldn't be a problem, but don't dig too deep when siphoning. You'll draw that lower substrate up through the top and they'll mix. I think san is easier to clean than gravel since it really doesn't allow anything to penetrte it. All of your debris stays right on top where it can be seen and taken away.

Hope that helps!

jerzguy
10-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Chad,
Thanks again. Do you suggest to go just with soil master substrate without mixing anything? If I do the the discus won't turn darker? PLease let me know.

Thanks

rich815
10-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I put a 1-2" layer of white sand on top of my SMS and eventually (3-4 months?) much of the sand settled down under the SMS.

blkrob
10-18-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm gonna go with Rich815. I have tried numerous combo's for substrate. Ultimately the smaller grain will make it to the bottom. I've finally just pulled all the substrate for the tank I wanted to have sand in. I went with a smaller grain for the geo's. I think if you get a white sand with grains that are similar size it will rest on top no problem. I don't remember were I've gotten it in the past. There is a filter sand pretty close.

I have sms and flourite in a planted tank right now.You an still see the golden sheen on my wilds. Maybe you should just try it out.:D

Good luck,

Robert

zamboniMan
10-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Instead of Soil Master Select I use organic miracle grow and play sand. I put play sand around the edges of the tank up to about 4 inches. I then put substrate heater, miracle grow mixed with diatomatious earth, and organic sphagnum moss in the center (about 2" or 3"). I then cover it all in 2 inches of play sand. I first expiremented with this in march with great sucess and now have it all 10 of my tanks. The key to doing this is to soak everything first this keeps air bubbles from mixing the soil. I find that if i don't stick my python into the substrate its not a problem.

I switched to this from flourite black sand because it is much less costly but it still looks great.

I imagine that if you did the same thing I do with miracle grow the SMS it would work just as well.

Good Luck! :)