PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEM WITH MY WATER

jrodriguez
10-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone I have an r.o.d.i unit.I am only using one pre filter and 2 carbon filters running into a 55 gal drum, a power head for recirculation with a heater but when i lift the top it smells like chlorine.if i age the water for 24 hours would that it remove all the chlorine? or can i use tap water and some prime or sodium thiosulfate water conditioner, and and age the water without the r.o.d.i ?
WATER PARAMETERS
P.H 7.5
KH 240ppm
GH 180ppm

j_li8
10-17-2009, 11:52 PM
leave the lip open or have a slight opening so the chlorine can escape. Ive done that before too but after leaving it open for a bit it disperses. Chlorimine will not evaporate like chlorine so make sure you know if you have chloimines or not. If you do i would just use prime. No need to age the water either unless the pH isnt stable.

tcyiu
10-18-2009, 02:56 AM
.if i age the water for 24 hours would that it remove all the chlorine?
Only with vigorous aeration. However, do check with your water company to see if you have chloramine. Aging will NOT get rid of chloramine. The membranes in your RO/DI units will be harmed by the chloramine and will not filter it. No consumer filters will remove it.

or can i use tap water and some prime or sodium thiosulfate water conditioner, and and age the water without the r.o.d.i ?

I now use pure sodium thiosulfate mixed with warm water straight from the tap. After re-circulating the water to thoroughly mix and de-gas the water (typically 10min-1/2 hour), it goes straight into the tank. Been doing this for 2 years with no side effects for discus, cardinal tetras, clown loaches, all of which are really sensitive to bad water.

This summer, the water company really increased the amount of chloramine. The first couple of times, I noticed the fish acting weird. When I realized that the water smelled like pool water coming out of the tap, I increased the dosage of sodium thiosulfate and all problems went away.

You should try to see if this will work for you. The goal is to minimize the amount of special treatment of the water while not causing harm to the discus.

Tim

Jhhnn
10-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Most tap water is fine for rearing and keeping discus. Aging, aerating, heating and conditioning with prime, amquel+ or chloram-x generally puts the water where you need for it to be...

Some people can get by doing less. I'm not willing to find out if I can, or not. A small minority need to do more.

You'll get better advice if you post complete water parameters- KH, GH and pH, for starters.

Elite Aquaria
10-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Joel,

I am a little confused...If you are running your water through your RO unit then all of the Chlorine/Chlorimines should be completely removed. If not it will harm your Membrane.

If your water smells like Chlorine after it runs through your unit then your pre-filters are exhausted.

jrodriguez
10-18-2009, 11:47 AM
You'll get better advice if you post complete water parameters- KH, GH and pH, for starters.[/QUOTE]

JHHNN here are the WATER PARAMETERS

P.H 7.5
KH 240ppm
GH 180ppm

Jhhnn
10-18-2009, 03:54 PM
You'll get better advice if you post complete water parameters- KH, GH and pH, for starters.

JHHNN here are the WATER PARAMETERS

P.H 7.5
KH 240ppm
GH 180ppm[/QUOTE]

That's pretty hard, but should work fine for keeping and rearing, as is, if properly aged and conditioned. Temper it with RO/DI water if you like.

I think Dan's probably right about your filter carbon- it really should remove the chlorine before the water gets to the RO membrane...

Good article on the subject of hardness-

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/khgh.html

Elite Aquaria
10-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Joel,

It was good talking with you this afternoon...Now I understand what you were trying to do...

Guys he was bi-passing the RO membrane and the DI canister and only using the pre-filters and Charcoal pre-filter.

As I mentioned in our conversation your RO Unit restricts the flow as it goes through the RO Membrane or it may have a flow restrict...since you bi-pass this area, the flow is to fast for the water therefore it is not removing all your Chlorine.

Best bet is to use a product like ClorAm-X to remove the Chlorine and Chlorimine.

Jhhnn
10-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Good call, Dan- as usual.

jrodriguez
10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I like to thank everyone u guys are great as for Dan I have found a new friend. Rest assure a cut above the rest!

Dvlassis
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Joel,

It was good talking with you this afternoon...Now I understand what you were trying to do...

Guys he was bi-passing the RO membrane and the DI canister and only using the pre-filters and Charcoal pre-filter.

As I mentioned in our conversation your RO Unit restricts the flow as it goes through the RO Membrane or it may have a flow restrict...since you bi-pass this area, the flow is to fast for the water therefore it is not removing all your Chlorine.

Best bet is to use a product like ClorAm-X to remove the Chlorine and Chlorimine.

What if I ran water through RODI unit the way it was intended, could I use bot RO water and the waste water?

I know that it will be just as hard as my tap water, but it wouldn't have any chlorine in it would it?

Elite Aquaria
01-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, I run my waste water directly into my grow out tanks...