PDA

View Full Version : Some setup advice please

smallfin
10-23-2009, 07:56 AM
:confused:Hi Everyone.
I have bought a second hand tank which was great value and has some serious equipment but it was used as a salt water setup.
I’m in the process of cleaning it as best I can and getting ready to set it all up.
Firstly has anyone got tips of cleaning the equipment used for saltwater or is it likely to cause me trouble when I get around to filling it with discus?
It came with 2 eheim canister filters a 2213 & 2215 Classic.
Also an Aqua Medic Ozone Generator, an Aqua Medic MV Computer and a AM Titan 250 Cooling Unit.
My tank is a 4foot or approx 66Galons
Questions: Do you think I need to use booth Canister filters or should I save one to use for the next tank I get. I am planning on using an internal sponge filter too.
The filters are empty so what would you recommend as the best combination of filter media to use.
I have not used an Ozone generator or a cooler unit before. Does anyone use these or know much about them. Are these suitable or advantageous for use with discus?
How long am I best having the system up and running before putting fish in?

Thanks in advance

Mr Wild
10-23-2009, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=smallfin;580462]
Questions: Do you think I need to use booth Canister filters or should I save one to use for the next tank I get. I am planning on using an internal sponge filter too.

I use a 2215 on my regular 4foot and sponge filter for air

The filters are empty so what would you recommend as the best combination of filter media to use. Buy the eheim sponges and some ceramic noodles, they have a great surface area for colonisation of beneficial bacteria.

I have not used an Ozone generator or a cooler unit before. Does anyone use these or know much about them. Are these suitable or advantageous for use with discus? Chad on SD can tell you about Ozone re the cooler I doubt if you will need it in Oz.

How long am I best having the system up and running before putting fish in?
You have to add suffucuent ammonia each day for the bacteria to colonise in your filters, best to read the sticky about cycling tanks. This might take up to 6 weeks to acheive before you add any fish.

HTH Kath

smallfin
10-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks again for your help. Yes, not sure about the cooler but I know it's worth over $1000 so I'm wondering if it is going to do wonders for my setup and fish or if I'm best onselling it and putting some of that money toward my fish??? hmmm

Mr Wild
10-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I would buy more fish! Never enough discus for me! lol

Chad Hughes
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I would certainly put that ozone generator to work. Did you say that it came with an ORP controller? If so I would have not hesitations putting it to use on this aquarium. You can check out my post on "How I manage water quality" (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71402) to get an idea of how the ozone shold be set up.

As for the cooler, sell it. If it's in good condition, you can likely get a pretty good penny for it. Put that cas towards discus! :)

Hope that helps!

smallfin
10-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks Chad
Glad to hear your advise. Happy I can use some of this and I think I will leave the cooling unit out of it now. If I can sell it and put that money to some amazing fish, I'll be a haapy man.
One thing I'm still not sure of is where or how to filter the ozone through carbon? can this be done through a sponge filter inside the tank?

Thanks again.